Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:49   #16

Re: To Teak or Not to Teak

I think it's hard to find non skid as good as teak (unless you go to foot eating stuff!) But Teak is way to much weight, heat, and maintenance. Go without.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33   #17

Boat: Hylas 56
Well folks just as with all else the for and against are pretty well split. It is an interesting trade or compromise and some great points are made. Since we have some time before making the decision we will continue the debates..... Thanks
NC Sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Had two boats with teak decks and three without.

Con

- Maintenance intensive
- Hot in the tropics, as in so hot it will scorch a very tough, calloused bare foot.
You never went barefoot long enough. I remember when we first took our shoes off in June we had to hop from white line to white line in the parking lot--by August we could stand on the black asphalt. Even then I wasn't in the same class as the islanders who spend their days walking barefoot across coral rock.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

No Teak.

Teak Decks add weight, if screwed down, cause leaks, BURN bare feet in the tropics (really), get filthy asap if there is soot in the air (many marinas and anchrages), wear out and require really expensive replacement.

I could go on.

Non Skid, if white or nearly white, is not hot, easy to clean, cheaper to R&R, and adds little weight.

Finally, teak deck is beautiful if clean and bright, but look horrible when black and dirty, and to keep it bright, you wind up removing some of it with every scrub.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, NC Sailors,

The long term maintenance on teak decks can be staggering. We've seen one family where the long term cost was a back injury from so much lifting and groveling. My suggestion is if you aren't swayed by minaret's point of view, who seems to provide accurate, knowledgeable, and relatively unbiased opinion, then let the one who is so keen on teak decks have the entire responsibility for their maintenance. Do consider, however, the leak potential of 5,000 screws into the deck, talk about stacking the deck against yourself! We've seen many teak decks removed, one ended up as a boat-shaped deck around a hot tub. And it's weight you don't need, IMO. And too hot to walk on barefoot in many warm places.

Our deck coating is acrylmeric sportcoat, a water-based paint, cheaper than marine products, used in gymnasium showers, and other places non-skid is important. I love it, my feet stay put where I put 'em, and it's white, therefore cooler. The downside, it is subject to staining by muds, so hard to keep looking pristine.

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Jervis Bay
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54   #21

Assisted a bit with teak deck maintenance. It is serious, tedious, knee-wrecking back breaking work and will knock the fun off of your boat in a hurry.

You couldn't give me a boat with teak decks and that's why they are cheaper - no one wants the headache.

There is some really nice non-skid being used on newer boats that's much better than the old diamond plate non-skid.
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54   #22

Boat: Hylas 56
Hello all, NC Sailor wife here... I'm the one who reeeaally wanted the teak in the first place.

I'd just like to clarify that this teak deck would be epoxied, not screwed down, and installed on a new build. So a gazillion holes in the deck & the associated leaks aren't a concern.

But I'm still reading all of these & carefully considering everything. Thank you all so much!
NC Sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 13:06   #23

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Not sure if you have had experience in the tropics or not, but the heat issue is very serious. Anything darker than off white is too dark, IMHO. Plus, the maintenance will eventually rear its ugly head.
Old 09-12-2012, 13:58   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Opinions are one of the many things we all have. There are new ways of installation that minimise the old problems. Teak is gorgeous and great non-skid.
+1

My present boat has glued teak decks, and I would never go back. They are 12 years old and still nearly flawless; no caulking work in sight. They are gorgeous, and actually less work than plastic decks, because they don't show dirt and naturally clean and renew themselves if if you sail in some weather and take some water over the bow. The only thing I do to them is feed them buckets of sea water.

Downside is weight and huge cost, and eventually they do need to be replaced, at huge cost.

You would almost never see a nicer boat without them here; in Florida it's the opposite. That's not a coincidence. Teak decks break down much faster in the tropics. I would not want them if I spent most of my time in a hot climate.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 14:13   #25

Had glued down teak on the old boat, going to get glued down teak on the new boat. Love it. It's got a very nice feel under your feet and is a perfect non-skid. And, imho, the boat looks sexy with it.

Regarding overheating in the tropics (also related to maintenance): if you treat teak, teak gets very hot in the sun. If you don't treat it and keep the "weathered" look, it doesn't get hot, at least in our experience.

We tried the whole cleaning and treating thing for 2 years, then gave up and would just pressure wash it (on a very low setting) once year or less often. Without treatment teak becomes grey, but then remains this way and actually looks very good. There was almost no wear from the pressure washing and in 8 years we didn't need to trim caulking once. Later on we were told that in the old days US NAvy would treat their teak decks similar: just salt water wash. Teak loves it.

If you spill some oil on it, it will absorb it. But the oily stain will go away after a few days on its own. A bit of a natural dishwashing liquid also works.

So it's not necessary to do back breaking teak maintenance and you still get all the benefits.

One note is that if you keep the boat in a polluted area, e.g. in a big city or near a pulp mill, teak will absorb the dirt, so it'll get darker, and you'll need to pressure wash it more often.

P.S. Both of us actually really dislike cleaning regular non-skid. Some stuff constantly gets stuck in those groves and it's such a pain to get it out.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 14:21   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I've laid and used the plasti-teek substitute, it doesn't have the maintenance of teak. Unfortunately it gets hot or even hotter then the real thing.

Dave