Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 19:41   #1

Boat: Cal 29 mk2
tiller pilot ts 2000 raymarine

greetings everybody, replacing my old tiller pilot 1000 with an upgraded tiller pilot 2000 NMEA adaptable using Ray Marine any thoughts? Mostly coastal sailing and Canadian waters when Covid is over until then Oregon and Washington and California coast as well as San Juan Islands. Cal-29 Fairwinds and following seas.
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 20:18   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: tiller pilot ts 2000 raymarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
greetings everybody, replacing my old tiller pilot 1000 with an upgraded tiller pilot 2000 NMEA adaptable using Ray Marine any thoughts? Mostly coastal sailing and Canadian waters when Covid is over until then Oregon and Washington and California coast as well as San Juan Islands. Cal-29 Fairwinds and following seas.
If you are talking about a RayMarine autopilot I'd recommend an EVO 100 instead of the ST2000 tiller pilot. The component system of the EVO 100 is, in my opinion, more durable than the tiller pilot. If you go down the coast to Oregon or California you might put too much stress on the tiller pilot. In my case I also bought a spare drive unit, and that was a good investment.
Old 25-10-2020, 21:26   #3

the evo 100 looks swell but at triple the price of a tp 2000 ,im afraid the evo is to rich for my cal 29 and a bit more complex .thanks for the advice though .
Old 25-10-2020, 23:03   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
the evo 100 looks swell but at triple the price of a tp 2000 ,im afraid the evo is to rich for my cal 29 and a bit more complex .thanks for the advice though .
I understand budgetary considerations, believe me. But if not now, maybe later. While you will probably have good luck within the inland waters of BC and Washington using the tiller pilot, the work it will have to do off the coast if you go south will probably result in a failure.
Old 26-10-2020, 00:58   #5

Boat: Island Packet 29

ST2000 will do inland waters, wont do much good offshore. It will give up the ghost pretty quick. You're gonna have to pony up for a more robust system, buy a windvane or hand steer and use a tiller clutch to give you relief.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 03:53   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

The ST2000 should be fine in inland waters or offshore for a few years but remember the shaft can become unscrewed from the motor etc and you have to reattach and tighten........by hand but you don't have to open up the unit to do this.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 08:03   #7

thanks for the tip ,maybe i can put a little lock tite on the threads ? Before the hawaii trip ill upgrade .to the evo 100 system .
Old 26-10-2020, 08:33   #8

Boat: Allied Seawind II, 32' ketch

I sailed my old 35' cutter across the Atlantic twice with an ST2000. Also trips to Bermuda and New England. The motor brushes wore out but were easy to replace. And water did at one point get into the control unit, but that was easy to fix. The key is to make sure the boat is always well balanced.

Jack
Jackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 09:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
ST2000 will do inland waters, wont do much good offshore. It will give up the ghost pretty quick. You're gonna have to pony up for a more robust system, buy a windvane or hand steer and use a tiller clutch to give you relief.
Web Chiles used st2000 during his circumnavigation. That system has issue with water proof maybe, I would recommend Pelagic system, not expensive as Evo and very strong system.
I am very happy with Pelagic.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 15:50   #10

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m

Have a look at the Pelagic tiller pilot. It is a much stronger, and more robust unit than the Raymarine. I use it on my steel Ebbtide 36 which weighs over 12 tons. It is not expensive either! I would not consider the Raymarine units for offshore passages.
Bill Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 17:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg View Post
I sailed my old 35' cutter across the Atlantic twice with an ST2000. Also trips to Bermuda and New England. The motor brushes wore out but were easy to replace. And water did at one point get into the control unit, but that was easy to fix. The key is to make sure the boat is always well balanced.

Jack
thanks for that inspiration . cant wait to give it a whirl next summer .
Old 26-10-2020, 17:33   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Bad news:

the evo drive is actually the old 4000 drive - but NOT the GP model

It is noisy and it does not last.

Evo brain will work with 4000GP arm, but these arms are hard to get.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 17:56   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

There are industrial linear drives that are FAR mor robust than any of the Autohelm/Ray Marine devices... and less expensive, to boot!

If you are at all inclined to tinker with things, consider someone's old A/H brain driving such an industrial unit. Or the Pelagic a/p which uses a similar approach.

Jim
Old 26-10-2020, 19:08   #14

Boat: Compass 28

For many years I have owned both a Simrad TP22 and Raymarine ST2000+, which I use on my approx 3.8 tons (loaded) semi-full keeler.

So I'm pretty well placed to compare them, and here's my 2 bob's worth:

* Functionally I found not a lot of difference between them in controlling the boat, although the ST2000+ stroke is noticeably quicker and it is much quieter.

* I have read lots of posts about failure of TP’s and ST’s due to water entry, so some sort of cover is essential. I make a simple cover from clear plastic taped on and replace it each year or so. I also use electrician's tape around the body joint. Looks like poo but works well.

* A major defect of the ST2000+ is lack of protection against stalling at the end of its stroke (ie hard-over tiller), when the motor will keep grinding away. This can eventually cause a range of problems including motor burn-out, stripping of the drive belt, unscrewing and detachment of the push rod, and breakage of the bearing support mouldings. How do I know? Because I experienced all of them. My boat used to have significant weather helm until I did some work on it, and sailing in brisk winds (nothing over 25 knots) would cause hard-over tiller for longish periods. So it's vital that you have good sail balance to avoid heavy weather helm and hard-over tiller. By contrast, the TP22 has drive gear rotation sensors which sense stalling at the end of stroke and quickly shut the motor off, hence it is immune to those problems. I eventually fitted limit switches inside my ST2000+ to solve the problem and it has now worked like a charm for over 3 years.

* Both benefit from tuning according to the boat and sea conditions. This can save an enormous amount of battery power due to reduced stroking. Performing this tuning is much easier on the TP22, as it can be done on the run while it is operating in auto mode. But the ST2000+ must be switched off auto, which means sailing with your knees while trying to press the buttons. It’s not a frequent issue, but can almost impossible if you are solo in bumpy seas (which is of course just when the adjustments will be most beneficial).

* Both accept NMEA 0183 and hence can steer to a waypoint, and/or in wind mode (if you have signal from a wind instrument). Very simple 2-wire connection for both.

* Both are ridiculously overpriced considering their fragility, simplicity and manufacture en masse.

* When I bought my ST2000+, it had a global 2 year warranty (even if bought from overseas) plus an additional year if registered on Raymarine's website. The Simrad 2 year warranty was based on where it was bought hence no local warranty if bought overseas.

* The LCD display on the ST2000+ is nice to have but not really much use unless you don't have the data already displayed on a plotter

I'm on a budget and not doing any serious ocean stuff so my TP and ST are good enough. But if I could, I'd upgrade to a Pelagic which are a much more serious and capable bit of kit. If you do go with a basic tiller pilot, you'd be well advised to take a spare, especially if you're sailing solo.

And of course there are wind vanes to consider............

Hope this is helpful,

Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 20:09   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Don’t even think of getting another Ray Marine without doing due diligence and checking out the Pelagic AP. On the last TransPac race to Hawaii the majority of skippers had Pelagic's. Not even one of the units failed. These boats are pushed way harder than you or I would even conceive of.

It is around 800 and excellent Service support. I talked with the owner and met him in person. Great guy and great girl Friday. It is way more robust than a Ray marine. Even a pocket fob that you can use on foredeck to steer boat on anchor deploy/retrieve. I keep my RayMarine as backup. The pelagic people even gave me the extra plug to rewire the raymarine 2000. Why? So, if ever my Pelagic gets knocked out I can plug the Raysmarine right into the existing
Socket that the Pelagic uses. Pretty cool people, huh?

The drive on this machine looks like four-point-O compared to RayMarine. You can tie into NMEA or your raspberry pi. This sucker is as bullet proof as can be made. Designed by sailors and used by sailors. Without the financial rape that some vendors feel they are entitled to.

Pelagic, 408-384-8094

Info@pelagicautopilot

I’m not connected to them in anyway. I’m just incredibly satisfied. You can also pick up an additional drive unit for very reasonable jing. I won’t because I’m coastal only. I don’t cross oceans. I also have a light trimaran so I don’t work an AP like a 20000 lb mono rolling down the trade winds. I also have my ray marine 2000 as backup. I feel I’m in pretty good shape. I also picked up a sleeve from Pelagic to cover the drive unit. I couldn’t be happier.

I think almost every skipper on the TransPac in the top 10 had Pelagics. I can’t say it strongly enough... built by skippers who were tired of poor engineering and those units that were extremely over priced. If you see a unit ... you will
Immediately understand you are getting max bang for the buck. Can see plenty of YouTube articles on installations and usage.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine