Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37   #1

Thoughts on Wood vs Fiberglass hulls

I am looking to buy my dream boat. I know a lot of what I am looking for, and then someone asked me if I was going to buy a wooden hull or fiberglass. Crap! Didn't think of that. Honestly, I have never owned a wooden boat. So, I am asking all my fellow cruisers what they think. Pros and cons of both.
praetorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Thoughts on Wood vs Fiberglass hulls

If you like to work on boats especially paint and varnish, a wooden boat can be a good deal. Poor condition ones show, up though with decreasing regularity, at good prices or even free. Problem is the time, labor and cost to keep them in good shape and stay ahead of rot and the worms. Still if you have good woodworking skills, you can keep a wooden boat going virtually forever with little money though a lot of time. Personally like the look and feel of a wooden boat. Would I ever own another one, no way. Unlike an FRP boat, laziness and a little neglect can lead to major repair issues and even loss of the boat. In the tropics where I live, a wooden boat is a nightmare. In less hospitable environments like the NE and NW, wooden boats are a better proposition. With the less intense sun, lower temperatures and short seasons, keeping a wooden boat isn't as onerous a task so you still see a lot of them.

In the current state of the boating market, there are a ton of FRP boats that can be had for cheap and require little more than a soap, water and elbow grease to get back on the water. Makes it real hard to justify going with a wooden boat in any condition.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:04   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

There may be a thread on this already. Have you searched the forum?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:29   #4

Boat: beneteau OC 352

im a residential contractor by trade..i think of your question the same as I would think of traditional clap board siding on the exterior walls of a home vs. vinyl siding or even cedar shakes on the roof vs. asphalt shingles...

in my opinion..a wooden hull and/or deck...that's all class..i love..love love that old style chiscraft

having said that..i don't have the budget to maintain such a boat..

but..i know a guy in central Virginia that has a side business and restores them if youre interested..
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:59   #5

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

wooden boats are like old harleys - 1 hour of riding = 1 weekend of wrenching. Depends whether you like riding or wrenching. (my boat has fibreglass hull and timber tops - get a bit of both)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass