Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2022, 12:45   #1

Boat: Moody 47
Thoughts on this Koopmans 60?

Hi all -

I'm currently searching for a sailboat to start cruising in the Med and then sail west and the Atlantic and eventually the Pacific. Sailing would last a few years, and we'd probably go up to high latitudes at some point. It would be my husband and me and sometimes a few friends for crossings. Recently I've fallen in love with this Koopmans 60 sailboat. It is definitely made for high latitude sailings. Can someone share their thoughts on what it might be like sailing it in the Med? Or during ocean crossings?

It's missing an easy way to get the dinghy into the water, solar panels, easy access to the water, a washing machine. What else? I'm wondering if the raised deck saloon would be too hot at lower latitudes or problematic during storms. Or would the fact that it's well insulated make the heat less of an issue? What else am I missing about this boat that would be problematic? It's extremely expensive, but I keep being drawn in by it. Any thoughts are helpful. Thank you.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...ns-60-8037816/
kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 14:15   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Thoughts on this Koopmans 60?

G'day, kusuri,

Dinghies can easily be managed by hoisting them with the spinnaker halyard; and then, with a boarding step placed near the shroud, another halyard can be used to get the motor out and placed on the transom. if you search around using the Google Custom Search, you should be able to find some threads here about those subjects.

Koopmans are a fine, well respected yard. I'd suggest you get in touch with them relative to adding a washing machine post build. It can be quite difficult, involving tearing out furniture in order to put in the necessary additional electricity and plumbing. Our present boat doesn't really have anywhere to reasonably install the electricity & plumbing plus the water maker necessary to run a washing machine "whenever you want it". However, it is not too hard to find laundresses or laundries ashore, most places. If you "save up" your laundry, you'll need more washable clothes aboard, but things like merino thermal underwear are pretty easy to hand wash in the sink, and tend to dry quickly, assuming the vessel already has forced air heating.

Insulation works both ways--for hot and cold. And, I notice the hard dodger for the cockpit has a fairly large hatch. That will help tremendously with the ventilation there in warmer zones. Plus, before you go to the tropics, you can have black shades made for the "windows" that will cut down on how much heat gets in. And wind scoops and fans can be added for additional ventilation.

A 60 foot boat is really large. I hope y'all have yachting experience and this isn't your first one.

Ann
Old 04-10-2022, 19:30   #3

i’ve just bought her
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 21:33   #4

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Congratulations Simon, she's a beautiful vessel and I'm sure will be a fantastic pleasure for yourself and family.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:38   #5

That's a nice (big) boat. Interesting and useful layout down below. Like the port lights in the hull - brings in lots of light which is great.

Enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhantler View Post
i’ve just bought her
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like a very nicely built yacht. Congratulations.

The insulation makes a huge difference in hot as well as cold weather. I think you will find it is cooler than most boats despite the window area.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:05   #7

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We’d add some way of getting back onboard by yourself. Bimini or you’ll roast. More comfortable cockpit helm seat. Buy a lot bigger anchor.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:48   #8

Boat: Hanse 430e

A 60 footer in the med is a bit large for many marinas. Not terrible but you will miss out on many villages and towns. Let me add that staying in a marina is not necessary but it is nice to step onto a dock when it's time to walk the dog or get groceries.

What is the draft? And are there thrusters on Noth ends?
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thoughts on this Koopmans 60?

Congratulations.. a beautiful boat from a good yard and designer, the Dutch build awesome boats.
The dinghy will be fine as is, electric winches will make launch /stow a doddle.
As for marinas in the Med, plenty of big boats in the Med and where you can't get in there's plenty of anchorages.
Enjoy the dream..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote