Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2014, 20:20   #1

Thoughts on This Boat?

Hello..been reading the forums for a while. Finally created a account. I'm new to the sport, but have quite a bit of experience power boating. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this boat. I'm hoping to look at it on friday. Really curious how much he wants for it. I realize it needs some love, and sails would probably be helpful, but im not against a project as I have rebuilt a few powerboats. I plan to primarily sail at local lakes with occasional trips to the oceanside or San Diego on nice days. Thanks for any thoughts you might have

Dynaflyer Sailboat
Unique 26' Dynaflyer Racing Sailboat. Has tiller in the front and tiller in rear with large lead keel. Collector's item? Has mast but no sail. Boat trailer included. Make offer - no reasonable offer refused.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00G0G_27RcyLV2oC5_600x450.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	86749   Click image for larger version

Name:	00p0p_4bOBP4z0U1W_600x450.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	86750  

Click image for larger version

Name:	00J0J_Wu06AHTVDX_600x450.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	86751   Click image for larger version

Name:	00808_h7b4hh512n3_600x450.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	86752  

hemetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 02:18   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
re: Thoughts on This Boat?

Lovely. Looks a bit like an echels or soling. It would be a rewarding boat to learn to sail in.
Old 18-08-2014, 02:59   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I believe that ad means a rudder in front of the boat and one in the back. The one we can see is tiny, so I believe that supports there being one in the front. I haven't found anything on the web other than larger Dynaflyers, and they are canting keels.

I'm going to guess this boat is a prototype where they were experimenting with a forward rudder. I think it was Blackaller that did one in the America's Cup. It was sometimes fast but mostly they worked hard to make it work.

When you look at it, if it has a forward rudder run away. Even if it doesn't the rudder you can see is too small. You need a tried and true design good for learning on, not an experimental boat that you won't have any idea how to figure out even if it is possible to sail it well. It could have been a complete failure.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 03:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hemetone.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 04:44   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
When you look at it, if it has a forward rudder run away. Even if it doesn't the rudder you can see is too small. You need a tried and true design good for learning on, not an experimental boat that you won't have any idea how to figure out even if it is possible to sail it well. It could have been a complete failure.
Well spotted John, If it is a canard, with the forward rudder it would be an interesting boat to sail, I know Phil Bolger had fun playing with the idea, but it would make it much harder to learn on and probably not many people about who could really give knowledgeable advice about how to deal with any quirks. Still It does look like a fine sailing machine...
Old 18-08-2014, 12:46   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just my opinion but this would not be a boat for someone new to sailing. You would be better off with a tried and true sailer. As an example, a trailerable Catalina 25. That's just an example and there are many more along the same lines that would be a better choice.
Old 18-08-2014, 13:33   #7

Buying a small boat to learn on is a very good idea, but if you buy an unknown, or unusual boat (probably cheep) you will most likely have a hard time unloading it when you want to move up. Buy something with a known track record of sales ( and a decent reputation for sailing) and you will only lose a little money when you move up, but you will have gained a million bucks worth of experience. Odd Ball boats buy and sell cheep, but cost the same as a quality boat to maintain (maybe more?). Good Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 13:47   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Unique" probably means "This white elephant was a total marketing failure, how can we get rid of it?"

Not for someone who is new to the sport and wants to SAIL their boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 20:04   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I believe that ad means a rudder in front of the boat and one in the back. The one we can see is tiny, so I believe that supports there being one in the front. I haven't found anything on the web other than larger Dynaflyers, and they are canting keels.

I'm going to guess this boat is a prototype where they were experimenting with a forward rudder. I think it was Blackaller that did one in the America's Cup. It was sometimes fast but mostly they worked hard to make it work.

Yes, John has it right.
Old 19-08-2014, 22:30   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

It might be great for docking.

And why are they hiding the keel?