Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 12:07   #16

Re: Thoughts on this 27ft steel mono

Thanks for the advice my good friend Richard said basically the same thing .Was just interested as your hard pressed finding a boat around 5 k . I'm either going to go with getting a plan and build from scratch or keep looking for that bargain that is hopefully out there
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 12:39   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I've seen one sailing. I was quite impressed with how well she went in the twilight races. For some reason I thought it was a bollard design rather than a bowden?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-11-2016, 12:56   #18

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I suspect that building from scratch would take 10 years. In a 27 foot boat the interior spaces would be very small to work in to repair something. In my 45 footer these interior spaces like down in the bottom of the keel are much larger but still difficult to do anything. I have concrete in the forward and stern portions of the keel, it is open below the engine, basically 2 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet deep chambers, very difficult to do anything in. Two out of the 5 of these chambers were filled with lead chunks, that I removed to clean and check for rust. I just bought 800 pounds of brand new 250 ft of 1/2 inch bbb chain, twice the size I need for my windlass and boat, but I might carry it instead of the lead. I bought it because it was real cheap. I also have 2 100 lb anchors that match the chain size. I have far too many anchors, I bought them if they were the right size but different, I figure I will compare different styles. I would be happy to sell the chain and anchors if I find somebody that needs them. In a storm the chain might be more useful than the lead. I already have full length 3/8 bbb anchor chain for bow and stern and windlasses both places, I often anchor bow and stern in certain situations.
Old 15-11-2016, 14:00   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

cameron82,

If you were going to use it for a home base, there may be holding tank issues to figure out. Liveaboard boats are kinda conspicuous.

Unless you have more than $5500 in your housing budget, give it a miss unless you can go inspect it first.

It does have a mast in the picture, and sorta looks like a tabernacle, but where's the boom? Fwiw, it is possible that whatever sails it has have been sold off separately. At this point, we don't even know for sure if it floats! let alone has a working engine. Trucking it up from VIC would probably be prohibitively expensive for you, so it would have to be delivered, so you have a time and sails and engine issues. Go into it with your eyes wide open, if you choose to do it, don't sell yourself on a no-problems rosy picture: all old boats have problems you didn't anticipate.
Old 15-11-2016, 23:15   #20

Going to pass on it the reason i wanted a small boat was to be able to stay in it after uni instead of driving out to my property (2 hr drive ) The uni is on the river just wanted something small to crash on not live on full time. I want to build a boat eventually My friend is rebuilding his boat so will be a great learning experience .I also have a few other offers to help people rebuild their boats .Doing the work for knowledge which is good for both parties and helps me out as being a noob having free labor also helps out the owner as well as there are great people out there who need a hand and are a wealth of knowledge .Plus you make great friends who i can call in a favor if i need advice .Thanks for all the replies love the community here
cameron82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel