Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 13:28   #46

Re: Thoughts on Liveaboards for Atlantic Crossing

For serious dining capability, I think a 30ft trimaran would be the order of the day. Hydraulic extenders for the outer hulls, so when moored/stern to, you can have a 40ft beam, the stepped stern becomes docking area for the food and drink barge deliveries, and there's no obstructions to get in the way of the food and drink getting to the table.

If I win the Lottery (though I don't buy tickets . . . ) I'd build one just for the crack.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 14:56   #47

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Thanks...

I'm talking about something like dofour 385, quite good interior, good exterior space and quite enclosed-protected cockpit...not the best in case of a oceanic storm but neither the worst for a good day at the anchor, getting in and out, with dinghy, ecc..

I've seen (i'm looking as this as the boat for the life, meaning live aboard for a couple, and oceanic passage, max 100k, about 40-43 ft 3 cabins, 2 head) a sun odyssey 42 CC, it was very tall, safe, ecc (the owner get 2x atlantic passage) but with many cons, like vertical stairs, no space for ouside living (as all the Center Cockpit) small table in the cockpit, eccc..

At the end of many research i ended with or something like 2005 boat with ordinary aft cockpit, a bit enclosed, easy to live, spaceful, easy to get in and out of the boat while at the anchor...

I absolulty like the Sun odyssey 40 42 and 44 DS..great boat.

We saw also for the harmony 42, Poncin design, very big inside, lot of space, very clean line, ergonomic boat, ouside very good but the interior...Hell..Someone save me...

Is it possible to you to cover all with wood? Glue it to the original fiberglass?

Admittedly, this boat does have some nice features. Especially from an ease of access from the dinghy point of view. And also a good number of them for general liveability when not at sea.

However, helming her will get very tiresome real quick. As you're in an elevated position, with zero protection from any of the elements. And being that far aft, & up that high, the boat's motion may be a bit exagerated.

Plus, with the galley layout, it's going to be very tough to cook underway. As there's little for the cook to brace against. And keeping the crew well fed on passages is critical. For energy levels, morale, etc.

And call me a simpleton, but where are her at sea bunks? How's her heavy weather canvas setup? Also, how ar her facilities for ventillation unerway, especially in anything but ideal weather? Handholds above & belowdecks? That, & stowage for; warps, dock lines, fenders, sails, dinghy, & the 101 other things which you need for cruising (that are perpetually wet & smelly)?
Perhaps she has such facilities, but if not, then were does all of said equipment go?

Also, how is the teak decking affixed, & what is it attached to? I ask, as on many boats, teak decks turn into a really (expensive) maintenance headache.
So I'd look into that, & what may need doing to them a few years down the road.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 15:57   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Quote...

I also look some bavaria cruiser 35 and sun odyssey 349, brand new...quality=0, floor is 3 millimeters thick,around the mast the floor need to be recutted as round not all zig zag...floor that has 1-2 mm space between the single pieces.......and this is just the floor...no way...and they are 130 k toy...

Arcona looked now for the first time...pratically no one on sale looks nice quality tho.
They are mostly owned by Scandinavians where selling period is in the fall. You want to look up local brokers, not Yachtworld.

If you want the big cockpit one, you want one of the newer models. Older Arconas are great boats but their cockpit is not as wide and large as it is in their new boats (they used to be one wheel boats).

There are normally around a dozen of them on the s/h market except in the fall there are more.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Admittedly, this boat does have some nice features. Especially from an ease of access from the dinghy point of view. And also a good number of them for general liveability when not at sea.

However, helming her will get very tiresome real quick. As you're in an elevated position, with zero protection from any of the elements. And being that far aft, & up that high, the boat's motion may be a bit exagerated.

Plus, with the galley layout, it's going to be very tough to cook underway. As there's little for the cook to brace against. And keeping the crew well fed on passages is critical. For energy levels, morale, etc.

And call me a simpleton, but where are her at sea bunks? How's her heavy weather canvas setup? Also, how ar her facilities for ventillation unerway, especially in anything but ideal weather? Handholds above & belowdecks? That, & stowage for; warps, dock lines, fenders, sails, dinghy, & the 101 other things which you need for cruising (that are perpetually wet & smelly)?
Perhaps she has such facilities, but if not, then were does all of said equipment go?

Also, how is the teak decking affixed, & what is it attached to? I ask, as on many boats, teak decks turn into a really (expensive) maintenance headache.
So I'd look into that, & what may need doing to them a few years down the road.
Nice thoughts...For sure adding a lot of handrail everywhere is already a planned job...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:32   #50

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Arcona looked now for the first time...pratically no one on sale looks nice quality tho.
Elan, probably already well known.
Egeyat, possibly already known.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, liveaboard