Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2023, 09:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Thoughts on Bristol Half Ton 28' (or small Bristol cruisers in general)?

There is a very attractive offer in my area for a 1972 Bristol Half Ton 28' with a 12 HP Farymann A40 diesel motor. From the pictures and description it looks to be in remarkably good shape (the only problem mentioned is that the engine is missing teeth on the flywheel). I intend to visit and inspect the boat myself this weekend, but I wanted to ask here if anyone here has experience with this particular boat or similar Bristol-made vessels? Anything I should keep an eye on when looking at it in person, aside from the usual suspects?
thomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:47   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Thoughts on Bristol Half Ton 28' (or small Bristol cruisers in general)?

According to Sailboatdata.com, there were only 8 of those boats built.

Designer was Halsey Herreshoff.

I have a Bristol 27, but it's a totally different boat.

Designer was Carl Alberg

337 built.

Bristol usually builds quality boats.

Not sure why they only built just 8 of this one.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:51   #3
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

I see it for sale on Facebook. For $2K it looks good. Someone painted the cabin floor, then placed two rugs in the saloon beneath the table. I would definitely want to inspect that area. It is an IOR influenced boat design, but fairly conservative on the numbers. A 10' beam on a 24' waterline is a lot. The boat appears to be floating bow up, stern down. The diesel engine is small for the displacement, but that will make it easier to hand crank. Bristol made good boats - founded by one of the Pearson brothers who left when Grumman acquired Pearson. Looks fairly seaworthy with a bridgedeck. The numbers are not too different from the later MORC-influenced Pearson 28' designed by William Shaw, who left S&S and became chief designer at Pearson.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 14:01   #4

The problem will be the engine.

It's ancient and besides the flywheel problem, it probably leaks etc.

A new diesel is very expensive for a guy buying an old sailboat for $2,000 unless you are just experimenting.

It also probably needs rigging $1500 if you do it yourself and $3,000-$4,000 if someone else does it maybe more up there where the boat is.

Then the sails are probably old. Sails figure $2,000-$3,000.

Too bad you didn't find this Cape Dory 25 my friend go for free and fixed up.

It has new sails, rigging, and electric outboard

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...591614512.html

He is selling because he needs more room and got an Alberg 30. His second one.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:17   #5

Big thanks to you both thomm225 and Sailor Sailor for your insight! I saw the "only 8 built" fact on sailboatdata and it increased both my interest and trepidation. Good spot on the floor being painted! I will definitely be checking that out in-person this weekend.

@thomm225 I am definitely experimenting Your points are well taken though; I will be checking all those things you mentioned. I saw your friend's listing when it was active and was interested, but I thought Norfolk was a little out of my area.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomcat View Post
Big thanks to you both thomm225 and Sailor Sailor for your insight! I saw the "only 8 built" fact on sailboatdata and it increased both my interest and trepidation. Good spot on the floor being painted! I will definitely be checking that out in-person this weekend.

@thomm225 I am definitely experimenting Your points are well taken though; I will be checking all those things you mentioned. I saw your friend's listing when it was active and was interested, but I thought Norfolk was a little out of my area.
As far as experimentation, I have been at it since 2011 when I bought the Bristol 27 I have now.

It was meant to be a first boat but ......I still have it for many reasons.

I wasn't even sure I would like cruising around on a slow sailboat after racing beach cats for maybe 15 years. Two of them had spinnakers and they could easily hit speeds in the mid 20 knot range as could my Hobie 16's.

Anyway, first thing to fail on my $2,000 Bristol 27 was the old Bukh 10 HP Diesel. Then I replaced that with another ancient Bukh 10 HP Diesel and luckily I didn't pay much for it because it failed within a month or so.

Both engines smelled and leaked.

Next and for the last 11 years I used a new Mercury 5 HP 4 stroke 25" extra long shaft outboard.

The boat was loaded with old 1990's electronics and an almost new jib, tiller autopilot, dodger, two sets of main anchor with chain and nylon rode to 250'.

I have since over the years replaced the dodger and bought 2 new mainsails and a new jib.

Added solar and 6 volt golf cart batteries plus built my own chartplotter which displays AIS and OpenCPN Charts. I use either a Raspberry Pi Computer or Laptop with Windows 10.

Also AC Inverters: one 400 watt and one 1500 watt. Still haven't used the 1500 watt inverter.

Also finally bought a new Gen Mantus Anchor M1 25 lbs. Used the PO's 20 lb CQR for 10 -11 years before that

I've also painted the entire boat inside and out nothing fancy though just using Pettit EZ-Poxy at $100/gal.

Bottom paint though is closer to $300/gal for Micron CSC which I had done 4 bottom jobs.

Now I'm replacing the chainplates then the rigging with mast up

Lots of experimentation and still trying to decide if I want to cruise long distance or not.

I have sailed this boat a lot though mostly in the lower Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean when a tack took me out there while heading North up the Bay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 lift.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	272280   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	272281  

Name:	Boom.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	272282   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	272283  

Old 02-03-2023, 09:25   #7

Boat: 1966 Bristol 29

I have a 25XP Universal Diesel with a Hurth transmission. It came off my Pearson Coaster 30 .… I went to electric. This engine is a direct replacement for the Atomic Four gas engine. has about 700 hours, but it’s been sitting under a tarp on my porch. A little weathered, never been rained on, but the paint does not look perfect and there’s a little bit of corrosion on some of the spots on the case…
It needs the heat exchanger tank part…

I think it would be clean off nicely and painted with a little elbow grease.I had a new transmission seal, put on it while it was sitting, thinking I was going to use it again.

North Florida

You may have this engine free if you come pick it up.
Clearing out some of my stuff.
It is on a strong 2X6 base
Eidolon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:33   #8

PS I currently own a 1966 Bristol 29, another Halsey H design.
It is well built sails beautifully it has that concavity up near the bow so when you plow into waves, it turns to spray out it’s a very dry boat to sail.

I’m headed into an interior refit when I get her home
Old 02-03-2023, 11:07   #9

@thomm225 that is some amazing experience. I'm hoping to eventually do some similar tinkering with electronics - I have set up minimalist solar panel/battery/charger combos for off-the-grid situations before - but I'm not nearly as competent with the mechanical side. What kind of prep went into painting the bottom of your vessel? The current owner of the Bristol 28 admitted that it was due for a new bottom coat this season or next.

@Eidolon65 thank you for that generous offer! I may well be in touch if I decide to go for the Bristol. I am making a road trip to Florida at the beginning of April, so that might work out.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:28   #10

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
There is a very attractive offer in my area for a 1972 Bristol Half Ton 28' with a 12 HP Farymann A40 diesel motor. From the pictures and description it looks to be in remarkably good shape (the only problem mentioned is that the engine is missing teeth on the flywheel). I intend to visit and inspect the boat myself this weekend, but I wanted to ask here if anyone here has experience with this particular boat or similar Bristol-made vessels? Anything I should keep an eye on when looking at it in person, aside from the usual suspects?
Generally speaking, Bristols are very stout boats. I had a ~19' Corinthian as my first boat (wish I still had it); it was a little tank. For 2K I would approach this as a restoration project. It may well need deck recorring, rigging and sail replacement, hardware upgrades etc.

As to the engine, teeth missing from the flywheel are a concern; how did that happen? Normally the teeth on the starter fail, not the ones on the flywheel. A new flywheel is called for, but with the age? Who knows if there are any available, and it might require engine removal. May well be worth putting an engine replacement in the budget. Of course you could always hang an outboard off the transom...
Old 02-03-2023, 13:25   #11

Oh, and I also had a Bristol Corinthian myself. I loved that boat too.
Very solid and fun boat to sail.
I sold it and it’s now in a fleet in Texas being sailed regularly…

And you are welcome!! when you head down in April contact me here and I will coordinate to
you seeing the engine if you want.

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2023, 13:48   #12

Quote:
@thomm225 that is some amazing experience. I'm hoping to eventually do some similar tinkering with electronics - I have set up minimalist solar panel/battery/charger combos for off-the-grid situations before - but I'm not nearly as competent with the mechanical side. What kind of prep went into painting the bottom of your vessel? The current owner of the Bristol 28 admitted that it was due for a new bottom coat this season or next.

@Eidolon65 thank you for that generous offer! I may well be in touch if I decide to go for the Bristol. I am making a road trip to Florida at the beginning of April, so that might work out.
For the bottom painting, I just sanded down all the crap off the bottom to a smooth surface with 40-80 grid sandpaper using a 5"-6" orbital sander.

Then painted with Micron CSC Ablative although there are many cheaper brands that will work.

Btw, I haven't painted the bottom since 2018/19 but will do so this year at the end of the season.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00064.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	272289   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00074.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	272290  

Name:	DSC00082.jpg
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	272291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00083.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	272292  

Name:	DSC00117.jpg
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	272293   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00118.jpg
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	272294  

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	272295  
Old 02-03-2023, 14:36   #13

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon65 View Post
Oh, and I also had a Bristol Corinthian myself. I loved that boat too.
Very solid and fun boat to sail.

Tags
Advice, Bristol, cruise, cruiser, small sail boat