Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 21:52   #151

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
I know it's mysterious to me too. Especially why I am investing so much work in this old plastic boat. I keep telling me it's a learning quest, otherwise I would have given up already.
Considering what else you could be doing or NOT be doing I think that falling for an old boat is not too bad at all.
Very true. Our boat does about the same thing most other boats do, but it is just the way it does it that we are hooked on. The other day I had her out reflecting on a thread here about the proper heel angle. I was over at 20 to 25 degrees which is pretty normal for us, and thinking how, when we heel, we are not trying to plow such a big hole in the ocean with a beamy bulb, and our boat has this feel of slipping though rather than slamming waves aside. I am sure there are more technical terms for it. In any case I am sure this love fest is boring the crowds.

And have any photos of the deck and cockpit lockers? My boat came with no lockers (access to that is through the settees.) which is inconvenient but I like how dry it is! I mounted an 8 inch clear deck plate on the vertical wall of the foot well to the aft so I can store my anchor rode in there and let some light in too. It works great, now I have access to that aft part of the hatch. It is tempting to put in a small quarter berth in there now on the starboard side(I am not claustrophobic) for the skipper!

I forgot you wanted shots of my toe-rail. Did you do that job already?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:18   #152

I am about to do the toerail, I came up with a design and I am close to start.

Another project I am working on is the bow stem. I found another terribly done jobe when they installed the anchor roller and the chainplate for the headstay. They used construction wood to raise the platform. It was rotten very badly and hosting a colony of insects!

I am always curious about other Columbias 29s solutions. We have a very high bulwark over there and it's kind of difficult to install things there, and I hjave several things to figure out. I had to go into plastic surgery and did a little "nose job". I hope it does not look too bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bow1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	112135

Name:	bow2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	112136

Name:	Bow3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	112137
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 20:33   #153

It doesn't look bad at all! It is funny, I had a similar problem! The former owner had put on an anchor roller and used a couple of blocks of untreated douglas fir for spacers. They had a few generations of termites in them, and they were rotten. Fortunately I think that was the only home the termites had on the boat. That bulwark presents its own share of problems but it does make for a pretty strong joint, and, in my case anyway, still a dry one. I was looking at my friend's Cheoy Lee 30 and he has a nice stainless chainplate and double bow roller combo that I am envious of. Are you doing something like that for yours? It would have to be custom made and those can be a little pricey, but might be worth it. Sorry I still don't have shots of mine yet! Good job on all that, I KNOW how much work that all is!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-11-2015, 07:44   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It doesn't look bad at all! It is funny, I had a similar problem! The former owner had put on an anchor roller and used a couple of blocks of untreated douglas fir for spacers. They had a few generations of termites in them, and they were rotten. Fortunately I think that was the only home the termites had on the boat. That bulwark presents its own share of problems but it does make for a pretty strong joint, and, in my case anyway, still a dry one. I was looking at my friend's Cheoy Lee 30 and he has a nice stainless chainplate and double bow roller combo that I am envious of. Are you doing something like that for yours? It would have to be custom made and those can be a little pricey, but might be worth it. Sorry I still don't have shots of mine yet! Good job on all that, I KNOW how much work that all is!
Thanks Don, after the first moment to get used to the look I think it's kind of cool too. I am waiting for few parts to be ready before I can finalize the area. Meanwhile I am working on other fiberglass modifications on deck and after that I will be ready for a new deck paintjob. The modifications involve stanchion bases, transom corners made flush to help deploy lines, old leaky hatch base and winch pedestals. After this it's toerail time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stan base 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	112403   Click image for larger version

Name:	stan base 2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	112404  

Name:	stan base4.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	112405   Click image for larger version

Name:	aft deck.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	112406  

Old 07-11-2015, 07:59   #155

Looks great! And bringing down the bulwarks there on the transom looks good too. I have thought about doing that too to let water drain out! I only have those two little scuppers so I always seem to have a gallon or two sloshing around! Those stanchion bases look like they will be strong and dry too. It will be beautiful when it's done! That hole, it looks like a deck plate, cut in the side of the cockpit aft, is a small version of a clear deck plate I mounted for access. It has been great to have light way back in there now. Keep up the good, and fun, work! Hey, any plans for a dodger or do you have one already? Did I ask you that already?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-11-2015, 10:26   #156

Thanks for the support, sometimes I think I am overdoing it, but you're right, it's fun!
That hole is where the electric motor throttle use to be mounted. I am planning to fiberglass it and move it a bit forward, but it's actually a good idea to have light back there. I should think about it! for me that area is the foot of the quarter bunk, which is going to acomodate part of plumbing system.
No dodger for us unfortunately... our 8 ft walker bay dinghy takes all the space under the boom. It works as our hard dodger, we can keep the sliding hatch open when it's raining and it takes most of the sprays too. It also protects the deck from a falling boom! I will put mounts on deck for better positioning/stability even though for our first voyage worked pretty good without it. It's ugly but we need a dinghy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CI.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	112410  
Old 08-11-2015, 20:52   #157

Check out post #28 on the thread I put up called "Can I see your dodger?" in the Construction/maintenance forum. It's a great video slide show of a 29's cruise to Mexico!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 09-11-2015, 21:25   #158

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Don, thanks for letting me know about this thread. It's been quite a few years since I had my Columbia 29 Mark I, but I still have very fond memories of it. It's heartwarming to read about you guys and your deep affection for this great boat!

Back in 1982 I was interested in possibly buying a Pearson Triton, and a knowledgeable friend suggested I check out the Columbia instead. He said it was a better sailing boat. I'm glad I listened. It turned out there was an active fleet of Columbia 29s racing on SF Bay. There were Mark 1s and Mark 2s, and one or two of the flush deck Defenders. The opinion of the owners was that the Mark 2 was designed for a more "modern" look and a bit more interior space, but at the cost of an inferior hull/deck joint. However all had the same hull shape and rig, so could race in the same fleet.

A couple of thoughts came to mind while reading through your posts, especially regarding weather helm and a tendency to broach. One is about rudders. The rudder on Sonrisa had been modified by the previous owner so that the the lower aft curve was extended to more of a right angle (see the picture of the boat out of the water toward the beginning of the Mexico video). That seemed like a good modification. It didn't totally solve the issue, though. But before the Mexico trip I had a new mainsail made (Lee sails, I think) that was 18" shorter on the foot than the original sail. That did the trick! We never felt under canvassed by giving up that bit of sail area way aft where it did more harm than good. We ended up with a more modern, higher aspect ratio sail design. Of course the other necessity is a good reefing system, and the habit of using it early and often.

What fine boats they are! I still marvel at how many miles we sailed upwind coming back from Mexico (the gas tank wasn't very big) and what a thoroughbred the boat felt like through it all. We never had a moment's doubt about its strength or concern about our safety, even during some pretty rough conditions.

Anyway, congratulations on all the fine work you're doing to keep these wonderful boats alive and well. They're really worth all the work!

John
jldilworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:36   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldilworth View Post
Don, thanks for letting me know about this thread. It's been quite a few years since I had my Columbia 29 Mark I, but I still have very fond memories of it. It's heartwarming to read about you guys and your deep affection for this great boat!

Back in 1982 I was interested in possibly buying a Pearson Triton, and a knowledgeable friend suggested I check out the Columbia instead. He said it was a better sailing boat. I'm glad I listened. It turned out there was an active fleet of Columbia 29s racing on SF Bay. There were Mark 1s and Mark 2s, and one or two of the flush deck Defenders. The opinion of the owners was that the Mark 2 was designed for a more "modern" look and a bit more interior space, but at the cost of an inferior hull/deck joint. However all had the same hull shape and rig, so could race in the same fleet.

A couple of thoughts came to mind while reading through your posts, especially regarding weather helm and a tendency to broach. One is about rudders. The rudder on Sonrisa had been modified by the previous owner so that the the lower aft curve was extended to more of a right angle (see the picture of the boat out of the water toward the beginning of the Mexico video). That seemed like a good modification. It didn't totally solve the issue, though. But before the Mexico trip I had a new mainsail made (Lee sails, I think) that was 18" shorter on the foot than the original sail. That did the trick! We never felt under canvassed by giving up that bit of sail area way aft where it did more harm than good. We ended up with a more modern, higher aspect ratio sail design. Of course the other necessity is a good reefing system, and the habit of using it early and often.

What fine boats they are! I still marvel at how many miles we sailed upwind coming back from Mexico (the gas tank wasn't very big) and what a thoroughbred the boat felt like through it all. We never had a moment's doubt about its strength or concern about our safety, even during some pretty rough conditions.

Anyway, congratulations on all the fine work you're doing to keep these wonderful boats alive and well. They're really worth all the work!

John
Hello John! Great to see another C29 enthusiast in the thread. We must be of similar vintage. In the 80s I was in Santa Barbara with a Columbia 24 and there was an Ariel, a Triton and a Vanguard near me but I always lusted after the Columbia 29 that some other friends had. They even put a swordfish plank on it! I remember back then I thought of it as a big boat! I too always thought the C29 was superior to the Triton, but the Triton has such a passionate following I didn't care to argue the point. So a couple years ago when I was ready to get a boat again, the only one I really wanted to find was the 29 and hopefully one of the earlier models. And as it turned out I didn't have to look far at all. Back in the 80s I only lusted after the boat and never sailed one. But now that I have one I am even more pleased than I expected with its performance. It is hard to find a better deal in a small boat, IMO. It is sad to see them languishing here and there. There was a Defender and a Mark 1 nearby recently that were basically given away. In any case thanks for the tip on the rudder and main! I haven't had too much broaching or weather helm to complain about yet, but I do reef early and keep as a big a headsail as possible out there and she seems to scoot along just fine. When I get a new main though I will have it cut the way you mention. It seems you are in Morro Bay? If you cruise down my way let me know and I'll race you out to the islands!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 11-11-2015, 08:12   #160

John, welcome to the thread and thanks to give us a passionate recount of you sailing.

I did notice a lot of weatherhelm in my mk1 too, the issue is made it worse by my cutter rig. I usually fly a 100% yankee with staysail all the time, so the sail area forward is not quite adequate to contrast the main. Luckily I have three reefs and a good reefing system so I can easily reduce the foot of the mainsail.

My good friend James Baldwin of atomvoyages.com would not be happy about the mention that the C29 is a superior boat . It seems we all went through the same situation:I also had to choose between a "ready to sail" Triton for 8k and a project c29 for 2.5k. The boat spoke to me and I chose the Columbia. I think they are very similar boats, with pros and cons on either side, but the Triton was a bigger commercial success, with a lot more sales and thus explained the bigger following. Don has been very good in find current and former owners and make us have a conversation.
I'll share one of my videos here too (more on my youtube channel), I don't know if I did it already on this thread I hope it's not a repetition:

Old 11-11-2015, 19:56   #161

Nice video! And the boat looks nice in there! I know it will be looking even better soon. All you guys fixing up your boats are really making me jealous! padave is getting his all fixed up too. What kind of dinghy is that? I may just do the same for a dodger!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 12-11-2015, 17:04   #162

We boat fixers are not sailing our beloved boats. That is sometimes a struggle, and starting a new project I always fear there will be no end. Shooting for March, we keep high spirits and work hard!
The dinghy is a 8ft. Walker Bay that we bought used for a great deal. It does indeed work as a dodger, even though we have to crawl in and out of the companionway everytime. Nothing is perfect!
Old 16-11-2015, 12:26   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave29 View Post
We won't be putting another post under the mast step, though - that forward bulkhead will distribute the weight of the mast better, I think. We'll use an arced stainless plate on deck, with a steel elbow underneath, that attaches to the bulkhead. Should be more than enough added support.
Hey Dave, great to see the boat work going on. Keep those photos coming. This winter, soon, I should have some shots of my mast support project too, just as soon as I decide how I will do it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-11-2015, 12:56   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
We boat fixers are not sailing our beloved boats. That is sometimes a struggle, and starting a new project I always fear there will be no end. Shooting for March, we keep high spirits and work hard!
The dinghy is a 8ft. Walker Bay that we bought used for a great deal. It does indeed work as a dodger, even though we have to crawl in and out of the companionway everytime. Nothing is perfect!
Well, I sure know what you mean. I have to get ready to take my boat out of the water for the winter to start (and hopefully finish!) all the projects large (mast base work) and small (is there a small project on a boat?,) and I am dreading it, not just because of the work, but mostly because I won't be able to sail! Folks from the east coast are moaning, I'm sure. I know I am spoiled out here.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-11-2015, 13:11   #165

Boat: Columbia 29 Mk I

Unfortunately, mine hasn't sailed since I bought her a little over a year ago - so i definitely feel your pain. But, I guess that's part and parcel of buying a classic!
padave29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia