Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 23:14   #76

Boat: 42ft pilothouse cutter
Re: Thomas Gilmer Aries 32

Hey Chuck - I am still in Australia, but will be back onboard sometime later in the year, making notes and doing modifications aboard Harmony. The boat will require a lot of hardening, so I will no doubt be back on the forums closer to the date, to float ideas etc. Hope you had a nice sailing season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciabi View Post
Great to hear from you Nick. Where are you know?

Chuck Bullett
s/v "The Chester P"
nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:55   #77

I'm not an owner, but I regularly sail past 2 Aries and a Roughwater moored here in Morro Bay, Ca. Wonderful boats!
Ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 00:20   #78

Boat: 1979 CC Chen Aries-32; Thomas Gilmer Design- Hull #23
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciabi

Westerbeke-30 Cooling problems.

To all on this thread- ideas? Most of you know the to what extent we've gone through on the refit on hull #23... I can't seem to get past cooling problems with the W-30. Lots of steam in the exhaust, and it isn't belching enough water in my opinion (which probably isn't worth much!). Anything more that 800-1200 RPM and the temperature starts to rocket towards 200-degrees. New water pump">Raw Water Pump... new impeller- new belts... proper tension... sea water strainer clear... the only unknown is a wonky gate valve on the exhaust port. I can't tell if its open or closed, or halfway way in between... the steam just continues to pour out the the gate valve just spins around. Could be the gate valve is only partially open but I really doubt it. The H2O-Lift muffler is clear, btw... but MUST be trapping water judging by the amount of steam in the exhaust.

Anybody? Your thoughts???
Ciabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:10   #79

Boat: Aries 32

Heat exchanger. Mine was doing more or less the same thing. The "fresh" water ports of my HE were full of salt (??) crystals. $75 for a boil-out at the local ghetto radiator shop, a couple gaskets from online, half-can of Krylon and some bloody knuckles later and I can't get her hot if I try. (And I tried!)

If you're feeling lucky, run a couple cans of radiator flush through first - it might eat the gunk. Mine was pretty much blocked, so I doubt that the flush would have done much without circulation.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 20:11   #80

Hey Dusty- Thanks for the note.

I boiled out the Heat Exhanger last year with I pulled the W30. It worked gang busters on the bench when it was fired-up, so right now my money is on the that gate valve. It is seized and may require removal.

I was up in Marina Bay last week at the Ford Place for some beer thing... would like to see you boat some time! Rendezvous sailing? Let's go sometime!

My cel: 415-816-7423 on call me on Channel 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
Heat exchanger. Mine was doing more or less the same thing. The "fresh" water ports of my HE were full of salt (??) crystals. $75 for a boil-out at the local ghetto radiator shop, a couple gaskets from online, half-can of Krylon and some bloody knuckles later and I can't get her hot if I try. (And I tried!)

If you're feeling lucky, run a couple cans of radiator flush through first - it might eat the gunk. Mine was pretty much blocked, so I doubt that the flush would have done much without circulation.
Old 23-02-2012, 09:33   #81

Boat: Aries '32 -Thomas Gilmer Design

Well, HORIZON is finaly getting a repower. My original Westerbeke 4-91 is 38 yrs but is definitely showing its age. Block is in great condition (2550 original hrs) but everything else seems to be going, especially that old BMC transmission . Rather than keep throwing $$$ into fixing rebuit parts, we've decided to repower with a Yanmar 3YM30. Going to use List Marine in Sausalito for the job. Tough decision but now she'll have a new engine for the next 38 yrs!

I'll post pix as the job progresses. Time for an Aries '32 regatta this year. Let's show off those beauties on the Bay!

-Anton
S/V Horizon
1975 #9 Aries '32
Horizon1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:59   #82

I forgot that Horizon has the 4-91--- that is indeed older than The Chester P's W-30 by about 5 years. Hull #23 says it was made in 1979, but I think the engine is a 1978, making it ONLY 34 years old. Our only headache right now is the overheating issue... was we get beyond that I hope that TCP's W-30 will be able provide service for years to come. It certainly runs very strong and the 16 inch prop makes it feel like it has the power of a small tub boat!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon1972 View Post
Well, HORIZON is finaly getting a repower. My original Westerbeke 4-91 is 38 yrs but is definitely showing its age. Block is in great condition (2550 original hrs) but everything else seems to be going, especially that old BMC transmission . Rather than keep throwing $$$ into fixing rebuit parts, we've decided to repower with a Yanmar 3YM30. Going to use List Marine in Sausalito for the job. Tough decision but now she'll have a new engine for the next 38 yrs!

I'll post pix as the job progresses. Time for an Aries '32 regatta this year. Let's show off those beauties on the Bay!

-Anton
S/V Horizon
1975 #9 Aries '32
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12   #83

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aries 32 with electric propulsion Kealoha

Old 16-04-2012, 10:39   #84

Boat: Roughwater 33

Know of anyone keeping a list of Roughwater, or can I "join" your group as a cousin? Tenacity is a 1979 Roughwater, moored in Seattle. Hoping to start the 'big' trip in 2013, after I address a few more issues, such as the rudder. I've heard of 3 Roughwater's loosing their rudders, above the upper gudgeon. Do Aries suffer the same problem?
Marshall
mrp0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:27   #85

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome mrp006
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 17:47   #86

Boat: a sailing boat

They are Chinese or Taiwanese? I am not sure Taiwanese boats have bad name. Great many of them are very well built boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 22:42   #87

Aries 32 Regatta in SF Bay This Saturday

Anton (S/V Horizon) and my boat (S/V The Chester P) will be doing laps around SF Bay this Saturday. Whose up for joining us???

My cell: 415-816-7423 or call on Ch 16. TCP's MMSI #36740220.

Chuck Bullett
Old 23-07-2012, 22:45   #88

Mini Regatta This Saturday

We be ready--- all of the broken stuff is fixed!

Rebuilt the travel on Saturday. We're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon1972 View Post

-Anton
S/V Horizon
1975 #9 Aries '32
Old 10-10-2012, 23:39   #89

All on this thread- Horizon1972 (sv Horizon) with an updated tall rig and Ciabe's 1979 (sv The Chester P) with original short rig drag raced to San Francisco from Raccoon Straits with interesting results. The short rig won on the close reach across the slot, while the taller rig performed better down wind (Anton flies A LOT of canvas). This was a few months ago. We STILL want to do a real Aries-32 regatta in SF, hosting in either Sausalito or Berkeley/Emeryville (Come on sv Charlie Chan !). Anton and I are usually up for such antics with appropriate planning. Let go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciabi View Post
Not to beleaguer the discussion, but I believe that very early on in this thread we were comparing hull #'s. The Chester P is SAU000230879, which most of the tooling experts who own rights to various hull designs that are popular on the west coast I've spoken to agree is number 23 in a sequence, released to market in August of 1979. Also, the orignally designed spar was 34'11". To ship from Taiwan the spar couldn't exceed the footprint of the vessel it was shipping with without it costing more $'s. My spar is original. It will be curious to see how it performs in the slot this summer compared to other taller rigs that I'm reading about here.

Cheers!

-Chuck
Old 10-10-2012, 23:58   #90

Well MRP0006, you've found home for the Aries-32, Roughwater-33, and the Westerly-32. They're the same boat, just completed by different finishing yards.

The rudders do need to be pulled every so often. The gudgeons on The Chester P were all re-glassed and cleaned up at the 2010 refit, plus the top the the rudder where the tiller attaches had some de-lamination issues, which were corrected.

All pretty much standard stuff for good foam and fiberglass guys.

Have any photos to share with us??? Welcome!!!!

Chuck Bullett sv The Chester P
San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp0006 View Post
Know of anyone keeping a list of Roughwater, or can I "join" your group as a cousin? Tenacity is a 1979 Roughwater, moored in Seattle. Hoping to start the 'big' trip in 2013, after I address a few more issues, such as the rudder. I've heard of 3 Roughwater's loosing their rudders, above the upper gudgeon. Do Aries suffer the same problem?
Marshall

Tags
aries