Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 23:17   #1

This will be interesting

Ok, first time boat buyer. 20k AUD budget. I want a live aboard. What are your thoughts on this? I know it has the dreaded F word when it comes to hull composition. But seriously I have read and read and read about Ferro and the conclusion seems to be. " If it is well built it is good, if it is not well built it is bad." I don't really want to get into the good and bad of Ferro, it has been done many times before. If you had 20k and you were to by a boat ( in Australia ) would you buy this? Please bare in mind. I am 6'6" so I find it hard to fit on a lot of smaller boats. I am thinking ONLY of coastal sailing at this point and honestly not at any great rate of knots. I just want to get into the lifestyle. Thanks for being honest, I won't get upset, and I'm sure I will make some good friends
Used Custom Pilothouse 32 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
CrazyStoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 23:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: This will be interesting

For the equivalent of $15,000 I would buy it, certainly seen a lot worse.

I would take it for a good sail and motor, then crawl over every inch with a torch and mirror looking behind all the woodwork. Ignore any minor issues then can be fixed. Since the owner has had this for 25 years it will be worth staying in touch with him during the first few months for advice if anything occurs.

Add some canvas bimini to the stern to create an extra room during the rain to keep wet stuff out of the boat will be useful.

Go for it
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 23:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Somewhere between no, and not a chance. There is absolutely no safe way to move forward of the pilot house, and those skinny side decks simply are not acceptable. Add in a number of other weird design issues and I would keep looking.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 23:46   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

It's as ugly as a hat full of a-holes, and you'll never be able to insure it. Ferro is ok if built right, as you say. If the hull isn't flakes or streaked with rust or suspiciously freshly painted, it might be ok given it's age. Having said that, you should get someone who knows a thing or two to give it a once over just to help ensure you won't find any nasty surprises in this and other areas if you proceed with the purchase. You do get what you pay for, after all.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 23:49   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Oh, and it's a sensible size. What I mean by that is when you need new sails etc they are affordable, whilst yachts at 45ft or more you tend to need a chair to sit down on before reading the quote.

The cabin top will be a good location for lots of solar panels.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 01:06   #6

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hmmm, might be good starter boat, a couple of points:

Insurance: a previous post said it would be impossible. I think it will be very difficult and relatively expensive, like $1100-1300 for $35k. If you have no luck try "Edward Williams", but I don’t how easy it is to claim with them. However, the ad reads that is insured now.

Rust… yes that is possibility, but I gather that the filler is not cement but a resin based product. If done well, stronger and lighter than cement. As Reefmagnet said in a similar vein: be very weary if the hull, inside or outside has been painted over the last 6-12 months. And if the paint is recent, it could well hide lots of problems. I would not buy a boat that was recently painted. I did that once, and I have learned.

Room to move? Maybe not great on side-decks, but in return you have more room inside.

Aesthetics? Might not win a beauty contest, it is a bit chubby, looks more like motorsailer, but if you like it…….

The engine looks like a Yanmar, certainly not from the seventies. Funny that the ad did not list the engine as a selling point. If good, I would have.

Price? One can buy lots of ferro boats (mostly ferro-cement) for a lot less in Oz. Maybe the owner priced this a little optimistically.

Check all the big ticket items: engine, gearbox, sails, rigging, winches, steering/rudder, tanks, etc. as any money you spend on a boat like that you will never ever recover.
Also be mindful, that cost of haulout and surveyor could be high-ish in that beautiful area of Pittwater, I guess around or over $1k, which is as a percentage a large amount.

I had a 34 ft ferro sloop for 20 years, and insured.
Old 25-07-2016, 01:13   #7

Thank you so much for everyone giving their opinion. I need good advice even if it stings a little. So I will post another boat I am looking at for around the same price and then if you could give me your input as well.
CrazyStoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 03:51   #8

What is your sailing ground like? Is it sheltered or exposed to the big seas that comprise much of the waters around australia? How far apart are established anchorages and moorings? what are the prevailing winds like? Matters such as these might influence your decision making.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 05:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If this is meant to be a starter boat, look for something you can easily sell in a couple of years when you have decided what you want.
You already know this would be a hard sell
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 06:40   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=CrazyStoney;2173942] If you had 20k and you were to by a boat ( in Australia ) would you buy this?/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter what I would do, the only thing to consider is whether you would. And based on your post I would say you would so go ahead and get it. There doesn't need to be a long discussion of what is wrong with it etc., all boats for $20k are going to have that.

So in the end: do you want people to tell you Yes or No?
Old 25-07-2016, 08:53   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

As far as insurance goes we hit a wall with our FC boat. Denied by everyone, even Lloyds. Until I was able to get the build description from the builder along with pictures proving that it was built by professionals, in a yard, etc. Then I could basically go insurance shopping like everyone else.

Since your build was probably well documented I would present that plus a current survey and you should be able to insure. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:05   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Listing said it was currently insured. For the money it looks pretty good. Go for it and good luck!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:08   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStoney View Post
Ok, first time boat buyer. 20k AUD budget. I want a live aboard. What are your thoughts on this? I know it has the dreaded F word when it comes to hull composition. But seriously I have read and read and read about Ferro and the conclusion seems to be. " If it is well built it is good, if it is not well built it is bad." I don't really want to get into the good and bad of Ferro, it has been done many times before. If you had 20k and you were to by a boat ( in Australia ) would you buy this? Please bare in mind. I am 6'6" so I find it hard to fit on a lot of smaller boats. I am thinking ONLY of coastal sailing at this point and honestly not at any great rate of knots. I just want to get into the lifestyle. Thanks for being honest, I won't get upset, and I'm sure I will make some good friends
Used Custom Pilothouse 32 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
If she has been around for 46yrs. and looks that good and you like her have at it.. Somewhat of an ugly duckling but appears to make up for that with livability.

Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:25   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If she has been around for 46yrs. and looks that good and you like her have at it.. Somewhat of an ugly duckling but appears to make up for that with livability.

Best of luck.
I am somewhat perplexed with the ferro/ fiberglass. If I recall it was substituting glass fiber in the cement for the chicken wire. Which makes sense since rusting chicken wire was always the down side.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:44   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't understand, why would you want to insure a less than $20K boat.
Surely your paying cash?
Sometimes insurance isn't a good thing, My Son wanted to buy full coverage insurance for his truck, and was going to, until I pointed out that at that cost, he could buy another truck every three years
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote