Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2009, 03:39   #1

The Young Man Takes to the Sea . . .

Perhapes this is not the place to put htis, but here goes nothing, I am a 23 year old male, who has become disenchanted with the world around me. I have always had an affection for the water, and when I am away from the ocean, it is almost like i become a diffrent person.

Here i am, in the middle of California, near the capital, and i need to make a move. My lease is out in several months (Sept), and when that happens, i plan to leave California behind, or at least, start making plans to.

I do not have much money at all, and can scrape together a few thousand dollars, i have been looking at Catalina's and Oday's as a starting point, in the 25 foot area, big enough to sail anywhere, small enough for 1 man to handle.

I have sailing experience from when i was younger, just sailing around in small sailboats, such as Sunfish.

Seeing the very helpful members, and staff, i felt compelled to registar, and post my story. Now the bad part... I do not know any people who are sailors, and have no connections to the sailing scene.

Having monitored Boat prices for several to many months, i think this is the time for me to start entertaining the thought of buying a Sailboat on the Cheap, bast case, for 2-3 grand, or cheaper.

Essentialy the plan is to get some experience on the docks, and hopefully on the sea. Find and buy a sailboat, and prepare to sail to the American South-East (if buying boat in Northern California) or to travel to the South-East, and buy a sailboat there, but i need to get my plan down by September. My mother is from the caribean, and i have loved the islands my whole life. I would want to sail around the islands, to get my sea legs, for as long as it takes. I also plan on writing at least one, if not several books, as well as having an unhealthy amount of books onboard.

Now about me, i am fiercly independent, well suited to being alone, and have a very quick mind. I am willing to any work nessicary, and am eager to learn skills. I am also somewhat of a minimalist.

My point in posting here, is to share my thoughts with those that are more knowledgeable then me, and far more Experienced, and then to get their reactions, to either my gross niavity, or general incompetence. Or maybe there would be someone who needs some work done, or someone that is looking to get a crusier off their hands.

I would also appreciate any input on the Types of sailboats? And which would be best as a live-aboard, and a crusier, with eventualy sights on long inter-continental voyages.

I basicly would appreciate any input, of any kind, even if it is a joke at my expense (as long as there is a point to it)
Old 30-04-2009, 04:22   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
I want to get a sailboat, and live aboard...

To quote Nike - JUST DO IT.

Some boats to consider
CONTESSA 26
ERICSON 29
COLOMBIA 30
BRISTOL 30
CAPE DORY 28
DOUGLAS 32
COLOMBIA 34

I am sure there are others. Good book - Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere , John Vigor.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:03   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
An identical thread was started here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-26001.html

So I've closed this one to avoid confusion.