Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 07:07   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: The Wonders of Single Handing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
The couple of reports of bad experiences here
on this thread are probably just the tip of the
iceberg. Most people would not want to out
themselves publicly on a forum after such
experiences. Thank you Hard Rock and Cap
Eric for your honesty about the dangers of
single handing.
Quite a few total losses in the San Blas this season. Several similar to HardRock's scenario except they end up on the reef. At least one single hander was asleep when he hit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 07:10   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Agree with that [emoji106]

A big benefit, imho, from singlehanding is honing the instinct of thinking a minute, an hour, a day ahead and having everything to hand to cope with any situation or acting very early on to avoid a situation in you'd rather not be in. I had a very grumpy engine for a long time as well which would often refuse to start, that really keeps you on your toes
Yes, forethought is even more critical if single handed. I think further ahead and in more detail when single handed. Whereas if Im aboard with known highly competent crew then Im more confident we can easily deal with whatever comes up.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 11:32   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Wonders of Single Handing

Moral of the story.. sail far enough offshore and stand off your destination till all things are in your favour.. weather, sea, vis and personal alertness.
Cocky newbies often come to grief not lining up the apples.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 11:43   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric22 View Post
If you have a sailboat reasonably close to where you live, and haven't yet taken your boat out alone, you're missing an amazing experience. I waited far too many years before I tried and it pains me to think about it.

I have one word that describes it perfectly: liberating.

Go when you want, sail how and where you want, come back when you want. There's nothing like it.
Amen. Single handing, especially out of sight of land, is magical. I love it.

I also love to sail with full crew and/or with guests on board. This is a different kind of joy. Several good sailors all working together, sharing the tasks and experiences -- that's also fun. On my last North Sea crossing -- in hard weather -- there were four of us, all Yachtmaster Oceans except for me. I had never sailed before with two of the guys, but we were so much in tune with each other that we were reading each other's minds -- "shouldn't we think about ree. . . " "just did that". "A little more l . . " "eech tension on the main? Just what I was thinking". And so on. Really a joy.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:08   #35

Boat: 1987 Nauticat 38

I'll be motoring my soon to be purchased Ketch rigged Nauticat 38 from Quebec City on the St Lawrence River and locking through the champlain canal. Eventually to Remast in Troy New York and continuing to Florida. Much to bite off for a 1st time full keel owner. Has anyone solo'd through locks before, is it possible? Having a bow thruster will help with control. I may bring in a friend for that part of the journey. Any input is appreciated. I don't mind living on the edge, just don't want to fall off☺️
Thanks Jeff
jeffborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:41   #36

Boat: Ker 33 IRC

i sail by myself cos it means that i'm not having to wait for people to turn up so i can go.

it takes about hour and a half to get to my boat (not for too much longer though )

it means that i can go when i want - where i want and i want to sling a hook instead of going back to my pontoon then i can and no one gives a stuff

when i'm sailing and have got her set up the way i want then i switch on the autopilot and do the trimming and hoisting etc for myself - same with packing up - i normally start packing up about 2 miles off shore so that when i get into the marina (it's extremely busy) all i gotta do is tie up

the peace / tranquility / no one nagging for you to get back or stop it heeling (yup i've had that one) etc...... just watch the sunset and sunrise

whats not to like ??????
ruby tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:09   #37

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I love sailing single handed. It's great not having to explain why we need to leave the anchorage at 4am, or letting people chime on on the decisions, or having to say anything at all.

Once I get to anchor, though, I have to admit I would rather have someone on board. The cocktails tend to go down a little too quickly when I'm not using my mouth to talk half the time...

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:40   #38

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Hi Jeff,better to have a friend with you in the locks. Extra hands will be helpful as the lock rises or falls and you have to hang on to a pipe or rope fastened to the lockwall to maintain your position,also,gets a bit tiresome steering all day without a break!!!!He can help you step the mast at castleton on hudson[diy$50]
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 16:57   #39

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

This time of year I get home from work untie and in minutes I'm sailing with the breeze blowing away all the cobwebs and worries before coming in for a late dinner. It's like being on vacation everyday from 5pm to 8am

JimK

Tags
single