Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2021, 23:50   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
The white whale. The unicorn.

So, Forum. I have identified my perfect boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...pilothouse-32/

Rugged enough for our rough weather. Small enough for me to be able to handle her solo. Big enough to live on her. Shallow enough for New England harbors. Seaworthy enough in case I decide to venture further.

That pilothouse will allow me to live aboard during our six months of cold weather. That brand suggests quality build despite age. More importantly, this vessel is within the budget, even assuming many updates and repairs, that I set, once I decided a Sirius 35DS is out of reach.

The only downside I can see, failing a close inspection, is that this boat is going to be slow. But I'm not in a hurry.

And, of course, I'm not likely to make it to British Columbia to view her.

You know what else is missing? Reviews.

So, Forum. Why do you dislike this boat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.28.32 PM.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	249815  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 01:32   #2

Boat: Passport 42
Re: The white whale. The unicorn.

Not a dislike, but personally I am not a fan of the pilot house configuration. Well at least not this one, it just appears top heavy so to speak. However where you are planning to sail (as opposed to where I do) the pilot house makes sense. So if it floats your boat- pun intended- go for it.
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:06   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Be advised that this market is red hot, and that good boats are being bought up almost immediately. If you are seriously interested in that boat, you should make a deposit on it now. PS makes great boats, even if they are on the smallish side for their LOA.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:11   #4

That’s a lot of boat in 32’. I am not a fan of the saloon arrangement you have there. I would want a much more lounge-like saloon than that. From the photos it looks like it’s in good condition, so it it turns you on…
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 06:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post

Rugged enough for our rough weather. Small enough for me to be able to handle her solo. Big enough to live on her. Shallow enough for New England harbors. Seaworthy enough in case I decide to venture further.

That pilothouse will allow me to live aboard during our six months of cold weather. That brand suggests quality build despite age. More importantly, this vessel is within the budget, even assuming many updates and repairs, that I set, once I decided a Sirius 35DS is out of reach.

The only downside I can see, failing a close inspection, is that this boat is going to be slow. But I'm not in a hurry.

For you is nice boat. for me little to small and to old. But is important you are happy.

why i write. my neighbor buy similar boat made in Italy before 4 year 15000€ boat be in perfect condition,he don't invest nothing in boat.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 12:10   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

We just had a Pacific Seacraft 32 pilothouse sell here in our marina. Beautiful boat, and for your purposes I think it's a good choice.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 12:33   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Nice boat, but based on the distance away IMO it would be geographically undesirable.

I know people do it, but have never purchased a boat w/o personally inspecting it. Would also want to be there for the survey and sea trial.

What would be the cost to truck it across the US back to Boston? This would need to be baked into the boat purchase cost, then determine if its still in the budget.

There are many boats on the east coast for sale that could fit your criteria.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 13:03   #8

Insanely expensive unless cherry Bristol condition as per your surveyor, currently being used often, and recently upfitted for Arctic expeditions, new rigging and sails, electronics, bottom painted and provisioned for a gourmet top shelf party.

But the model looks great, just saying look for a better value.

Unless you're rich enough not to care, in which case hop on a plane tomorrow, ideally book your surveyor tonight, and take your Zero Halliburton aluminum case full of cash with you.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 14:05   #9

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: The white whale. The unicorn. CLARIFICATION

I appreciate your opinions and insights.

I should've made my original post clearer. I can't go to B.C. right now, so I can't buy this particular boat. I'd never purchase a boat I can't inspect.

That doesn't make it any less my unicorn.

I think another downside I'm discovering is that these seem pretty rare.

There have been a few pilothouse debate threads in CF, and it ends up being that people who own them like them.

In my case, if I'm going to stay here, I'm probably going to want a pilothouse. I'm not worried about their effect on performance, and it would only bother me if they presented an added capsize risk, but that doesn't seem to be an issue on this particular boat.

I do wonder about how all that glass stands up to high winds, although, again, given the manufacturer, and how they intend you to use these boats, I imagine they would've figured something out to safeguard that.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 14-12-2021, 14:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Insanely expensive unless cherry Bristol condition as per your surveyor, currently being used often, and recently upfitted for Arctic expeditions, new rigging and sails, electronics, bottom painted and provisioned for a gourmet top shelf party.

But the model looks great, just saying look for a better value.

Unless you're rich enough not to care, in which case hop on a plane tomorrow, ideally book your surveyor tonight, and take your Zero Halliburton aluminum case full of cash with you.
If I were rich enough not to care, I'd hop my Gulfstream to Hamburg, drive my A8 over to see Torsten Schmidt, and put myself in line for a new Sirius 35DS!!

Back on Earth, it looks like used Pacific Seacraft are pretty expensive in general, relative to other 30-something cruisers. And the way this particular advert is worded signals that it might need new $ail$.
Old 14-12-2021, 16:38   #11

An over built canvas full enclosure would open up your boat options quite a bit. You can add those to most sailboats, diy too if being frugal matters.
leandroflaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 16:55   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If you cruise north of Boston,pilothouse motorsailers make sense.
Cheers/Len

https://m.facebook.com/groups/motorsailers/

https://www.weather.gov/marine/ermzn

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=box
Old 14-12-2021, 17:11   #13

Boat: Catalina 320

Friend of mine used to be the west coast factory dealer for PSC when they were nearby in Fullerton. I spoke with a guy from the factory who explained why they made so few pilothouse models. Turns out making nice, straight, strong, light and attractive flat panels was more labor intensive than anticipated. Cost them a lot more to make a pilothouse than projected and decreased their profit margin.
If there's a mainsail under that cover on the boom it is worthless.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 17:33   #14

Boat: Still looking for an education

Quote:
And the way this particular advert is worded signals that it might need new $ail$.
Me being a Newbie again, but what in the ad tells you that?
SCWentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 18:16   #15

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:

I looked at one of these before I bought my Nauticat. I liked it a lot, but I fell in love with the Nauticat.
And yes, she will probably be as slow as my Nauticat, but like you I am in no hurry.
If you like it, go for it and don’t let her get away from you!

Al, S/V Finlandia