Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2017, 18:42   #31

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: The "Phoenix Voyage"

Hi all making progress. Been in the yard today at Bilbao YC so all the leeks fixed and new coat of bottom paint. Now just need to work out where I am going!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 18:47   #32

PS. Don't now how you guys do it but I got a tow from a rib with a 10hp Yamaha 4st. Best we made to Windward was a couple of knots and had to put some sail up to get round the point. Use 2gal of gas.
Old 26-10-2017, 22:06   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ronald, using a rib to move a sailboat is easy if you hip tie: even a 2 or 3 horse will move the sailboat in flat water and little breeze. Towing is far less efficient.

Ann
Old 26-10-2017, 22:57   #34

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Yeah, and it doesn't take much wind, chop or a slightly weedy bottom to completely kill progress with a little eggbeater. Even 5-10 knots of wind makes progress hard, but by then you can sail. A weedy bottom is the worst, somehow it seems to hurt slow speed performance particularly badly and it doesn't take much slime to be really noticable with a small HP.

I found a tow least effective, as much due to the problems keeping the towing boat straight. Usually for a shorter tow I will hook up the bow painter and tow backwards. You loose efficiency due to the prop and exhaust being all wrong, but gain great control.

A side tow was much more effective and having the outboard on the stern was even better. At least control and maneuverability wise. I usually pushed the sixty footer from the stern with a big inflatable. The speeds are a bit of an estimate, as we normally used it in heavy ice when the main engine was too fast, and with the 10hp on half throttle we could inch through the ice at a gentle speed rather than stop start with the main engine. But she seemed tp accelerate quickly enough in clear water.

It would be interesting to do some proper testing and get some good baseline data for different engines boat types, and tow systems. My data is based on imperfect memory from 10 or so years ago.
Old 26-10-2017, 23:40   #35

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php

This is a bit of fun. I am not sure how accurate it is at low speeds. It seems pretty close at higher speeds.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:27   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I do not expect much from a tow from a dinghy. On the hip is better. So now I have an old 8hp 2stroke mounted well, proper angle and depth on the stern when lowered. My boat is considerably smaller at 22’ waterline and 8k pounds. I always motor with main up which helps too a bit. Last summer it was pretty calm around here and I was able to get 5 knots at 3/4 throttle and I got nearly 4 flat miles to the gallon. Oh, I have the “power prop” too. If the wind is up to 7 or 8 knots I can sail at 3 knots so if it’s a heading I like I’ll sail. Oh and what snowpetrel said about growth on the bottom, I agree with that 100%. Now with your boat a well-mounted 15 hp 4stroke with main up and flat seas I bet you’d get similar figures. In any event I recall you said cost and distances involved make this not too workable
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 16:59   #37

Now out of the yard with all the leaks fixed. Also had a good cleaning and new antifouling which should make a big difference. There was coral on the bottom! Apart from the seacock there were quite a few seams that needed new topping. Using the ways at Bilbao YC was an experience �� If you are doing it put a big line round the mast and hold the boat um with it. They tried to hold you up on the cleats but got the leads wrong and did some damage. Teto is very good, apologised and repaired it. I also got commercial redlead antifouling ��
Old 27-10-2017, 17:57   #38

Keep on truckin' Ronald. You're making progress, and it is not yet Halloween.

Ann
Old 28-10-2017, 08:06   #39

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I've sailed engineless as well. it was exciting. I suppose your are a better sailor than I. I wouldn't relish that northward trip to Canada. Good luck
Old 28-10-2017, 17:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I've sailed engineless as well. it was exciting. I suppose your are a better sailor than I. I wouldn't relish that northward trip to Canada. Good luck
Hopefully will be able to rebuild the engine in San Diego, they have facilities and understand ideas like delivery... Also speak English 😂
Old 28-10-2017, 17:41   #41

Red letter day today. After waiting all yesterday for some wind got 10kn in the right direction at dawn today and had a lovely little sail back to the anchorage. So nice to get the sails up reminded me what it's all about. Wind died as I got there and had an interesting last mile tacking thought the tugs and commercial boat to he yacht spot at about 1kn. Found a few bugs like a ceased halyard winch and a missing leach line cleat but most things worked OK. Now just need the weather. Currently a named storm of Costa Rica..
Old 28-10-2017, 18:01   #42

Well, you're due a rest, and a cerveza, and a chance to figure out a solution to the leech line cleat problem, and to take apart and lube the winches. Nice easy day. Enjoy.
Yup, still hurricane season down there. The weather gods must not read our current calendars.

Ann

PS, Sorry I got your name wrong above, Roland.
Old 30-10-2017, 11:31   #43

How dumb I can be. Solved the leach line issue by looking at the other side of the sail��. Spent a relaxing day sorting bits so now just need to find a few bits like a spare winch handle. Neither of the local Chandlers stock anything except motor boat stuff!
Old 30-10-2017, 12:24   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
How dumb I can be. Solved the leach line issue by looking at the other side of the sail��. Spent a relaxing day sorting bits so now just need to find a few bits like a spare winch handle. Neither of the local Chandlers stock anything except motor boat stuff!
Roland, if you can't source one, take one to a any mechanic's shop, and see if they can cobber up something for you. It only has to work, it doesn't have to look like a store-bought winch handle. If it's a spare, it doesn't even have to lock, if you keep it in a coaming pocket, or some such.

Or, maybe you could buy one of another cruiser.

Ann
Old 30-10-2017, 12:48   #45

Yes I have an old corroded one but with a long upwind leg want a decent one if I can get it. Will try in the city tomorrow

Tags
boat