Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 13:44   #46

Boat: Malö 116 39'
Re: The Perfect 30' Yacht Design?

There are tree thing to choose between.
A lot of space.
Good speed.
Reasonable price.
If you do a good choice, you can get two of the things, but it’s not possible to get al tree. That was the easy choice.

At average, during a round the world navigation, you spend two periods, etch 14 days, a year sailing. When I have said that you can skip the good speed.

For my one, I choose, Good speed and reasonable price. Whit good speed I got a boat with small easily handled sails that moves fast. My boot is very uncommon model H 30. She’s a big sister to the H boat, but she has an inboard diesel engine. She has a length of 9.0 m (30 feet), but is quite narrow 2.5 m (8.3 feet). Both the mainsail and the headsail are on 20 m².

Me who am from the homeland of Albin Vega, I can’t put my vote on that. It has a very low price, and the quality is in parity of that.
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 14:08   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: The Perfect 30' Yacht Design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
One misfeature of North American smallish sailboats (28-32 feet) is the proliferation of wheel steering. A wheel is completely unnecessary in a boat this size, takes up precious space in the cockpit while at anchor, takes up precious space below decks for the cables and quadrant, is more awkward for single handing, and more expensive for self steering. Just about the only benefit is that it makes the owner feel like he's one of the big boys.

I would definitely add tiller steering to the list of desirable features in a 30 foot sailboat.
+2!!!
Old 23-04-2013, 18:32   #48

GILES LAURENT. KD29. Zero for sale tells you something.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 18:43   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: The Perfect 30' Yacht Design ?

S2 9.2C
Remodel the aft cabin to make the bunk fore and aft.
Old 24-04-2013, 11:06   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

I seem to have missed this thread first time around. From a quick look at OP's blog seems still looking for a boat and is based in the UK I think.........

......so I will suggest a Seadog 30. A UK boat from the 60's to early 70's and only approx 140 built. Designed by Reg Freeman.......at this point I would post a link to own Seadog 30 website, but "someone" broke it a while back .

but a trip to www.Seadog.org should give a brief flavour.......A couple have been RTW. Think of 'em as the nautical equivalent of a Landrover .....a Series I .......designed about the same era, with the performance to match . But a decent amount of accomadation onboard for 30 foot.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 00:40   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I seem to have missed this thread first time around. From a quick look at OP's blog seems still looking for a boat and is based in the UK I think.........

......so I will suggest a Seadog 30. A UK boat from the 60's to early 70's and only approx 140 built. Designed by Reg Freeman.......at this point I would post a link to own Seadog 30 website, but "someone" broke it a while back .

but a trip to www.Seadog.org should give a brief flavour.......A couple have been RTW. Think of 'em as the nautical equivalent of a Landrover .....a Series I .......designed about the same era, with the performance to match . But a decent amount of accomadation onboard for 30 foot.
Only recently available in production, another design you might consider is the Wylo 35.5
Willie@VoyagingYachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:07   #52

For what it's worth. I own a Cape Dory 31, not many of these models were built just 89, they are cutters, sail well, nice layout, strong diesel, and easily singlehanded. You might wish to check them out.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:25   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Perfect 30' Yacht Design ?

If your looking at older boats in the UK I'd suggest the Westerly Longbow fin keel.... 6ft headroom throughout... excellent storage inside and good cockpit lockers.. tiller steering and great hulls designed by Laurent Giles... some good examples from 12-17K.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:35   #54

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's what I do when looking for boats. I take a spreadsheet program or just a sheet of paper. Down the left-hand side of the page I list things I'm looking for in a boat. The list could be easily 30 or more items long. Then across the top of the page or spreadsheet I list various boats I'm considering. I put a check mark next to each characteristic each boat meets. Then I add up all the check marks and see which boats win. It helps to focus your mind, but isn't definitive, because then you find that despite the fact that Boat B beats out Boat C on the list, you find yourself upset that it is the case--it's a good time to create a new list, and then compare just the two or three boats that are in the running, and maybe add new criteria, like maybe which one you can afford!

I should also add, that this list just narrows it down to boats to actually look at. Once you start to do that, you often have to start all over again. You often discover that something you highly valued on your list isn't so great in reality, and something you didn't even think of at first suddenly becomes very important. One example: I don't know how many boats I have looked at that were great but failed the engine access test--if there is no way to reach things on the engine, you will have problems with whatever you can't reach.
Old 21-01-2014, 16:55   #55

Boat: S2, 9.2, 30 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
S2 9.2C
Remodel the aft cabin to make the bunk fore and aft.
That's my boat :-) Jippieh!
I like the idea of remodelling the aft cockpit! Has anybody out there ever done that? Would be curious to see pictures of that!
RW Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 17:24   #56

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

CS30 Well built. Lots of them around. Just get rid of the Volvo 2002.

Tags
yacht