Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32   #31

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: The Perfect 30' Yacht Design?

There is no "perfect" yacht design at any length. There are just some boats with fewer imperfections.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54   #32

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
The thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cal-63946.html gives a lot of reasons to look at Cal's in general.

I've had my eye on a few CAL 31s lately. From what little info I could find, they (CALs in general) are pretty good with accomodations and how they handle.

How about Endeavor? any opinions?
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:57   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think most yachts spend 6 out of every 7 days either at anchor or in a marina, therefore I would be looking for a layout that is a home and for me that's the more modern European designs.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:06   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

before buying anything, sail EVERYTHING then figger out what is most perfect in your own mind.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07   #35

Really need a price range. There are many that are very capable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:28   #36

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
The Cal 2-29 is a great boat for its size.. mine had double lowers, forward and rear, as dose the one that just appeared in the Claffified area of CF.. A great boat for the money
I should have been more specific, the 34-2 and 34-3 have single lowers that went with a rig change that corrected a slight weather helm problem for the 34-1. The 34-3 had a layout change from the 34-1 & -2.

The Cal 29-1 & -2 are the same hull and rig, the only difference being the -2 had wheel steering instead of tiller and a Farymann diesel instead of an Atomic4. The Cal29-1 is the boat I was intending to get until I got married and started having anklebiters. At least 1 29-1 has been across the Pacific, Renewal Time, so they are plenty stout enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32   #37

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I've owned 4 cruising boats in the 26-32 foot range and chartered a few more.

A few features I prefer (as opposed to specific boat model):

[....]
One misfeature of North American smallish sailboats (28-32 feet) is the proliferation of wheel steering. A wheel is completely unnecessary in a boat this size, takes up precious space in the cockpit while at anchor, takes up precious space below decks for the cables and quadrant, is more awkward for single handing, and more expensive for self steering. Just about the only benefit is that it makes the owner feel like he's one of the big boys.

I would definitely add tiller steering to the list of desirable features in a 30 foot sailboat.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37   #38

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I've had my eye on a few CAL 31s lately. From what little info I could find, they (CALs in general) are pretty good with accomodations and how they handle.

How about Endeavor? any opinions?
The Endeavor26 is fitted out for racing, so the cabin is tiny even for a 26 footer. On the plus side, shoal draft and tons of sail area.

ENDEAVOR 26 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

If there are larger versions of the Endeavor, I am not aware of them.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:38   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
One misfeature of North American smallish sailboats (28-32 feet) is the proliferation of wheel steering. A wheel is completely unnecessary in a boat this size, takes up precious space in the cockpit while at anchor, takes up precious space below decks for the cables and quadrant, is more awkward for single handing, and more expensive for self steering. Just about the only benefit is that it makes the owner feel like he's one of the big boys.

I would definitely add tiller steering to the list of desirable features in a 30 foot sailboat.
+1
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

"Perfect" is kinda the wrong word to be using. What is perfect for one person is completely wrong for another. "Most suitable for you" I think would be the better term to use.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45   #41

Boat: Tartan 30

He probably meant the Endeavour 32 (and the larger models)

Good cruising boats, nothing particularly special about them. All around general purpose cruising boat. Comfy livin I prefer a little more performance or stricter standards, or both.. But it would be a great boat to live on and do the Caribbean with if you can get one in good condition, and do a little upgrading.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50   #42

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
He probably meant the Endeavour 32 (and the larger models)

Good cruising boats, nothing particularly special about them. All around general purpose cruising boat. Comfy livin I prefer a little more performance or stricter standards, or both.. But it would be a great boat to live on and do the Caribbean with if you can get one in good condition, and do a little upgrading.
I do have my eye on a Endeavor 35. Although being realistic about my skills (lack of) I'm looking at it as being too big to start off with.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 13:10   #43

Smile Re: The Perfect 30' Yacht Design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
"Perfect" is kinda the wrong word to be using. What is perfect for one person is completely wrong for another. "Most suitable for you" I think would be the better term to use.

David, good point. I am really appreciate of everyone's advice here though. Nothing better than to hear about others' experiences and why it was right for them. Then I can focus on the designs that overlap what I'm looking for too.

At this point (which is for me the start-from-scratch beginning of the project), I'm trying to keep an open mind and figure out what my need-to-haves vs nice-to-haves are as I research.

I'm taking my time to do it to get it right - and can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing right now

Kind regards,
Old 11-09-2011, 13:15   #44

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I do have my eye on a Endeavor 35. Although being realistic about my skills (lack of) I'm looking at it as being too big to start off with.
The thing about starting off, is you don't actually know the difference

You'll learn to handle a big boat just as quickly as you'll learn to handle a small boat. It might be a little more intimidating, but ultimately, there is no real difference in the learning curve.

I took my very first big boat sailing lessons on a 32 footer, then 3 days later I was sailing/docking a 39 footer (same lessons). It was a little more interesting bringing into the marina, but overall, nothing very different about it. Much more comfortable sailing, and much more comfortable living. If you can afford the upkeep and the initial price of a bigger boat, I'm all for it

It's a pain in the ass to get a liveaboard boat ready to go sailing on the weekend. Doesn't matter if its 30 or 40 feet. But if you're just coming down to the boat to go for a daysail or a weekend, smaller is usually better. If you want to live on it, get something you'll be comfortable living in, or you'll just end up wanting a bigger boat a year later.

Your first few sails just take crew to handle the docklines. Everything else is gravy...
Old 11-09-2011, 13:22   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
before buying anything, sail EVERYTHING then figger out what is most perfect in your own mind.
Workin on it... Not even close to having sailed Everything yet, but am making headway. Havin a blast!

Tags
yacht