Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 09:13   #16

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: The new Amel 50

Not very Amel-like for sure. Really don't like the galley sinks on the outboard side, they won't drain on tack.
Old 25-05-2017, 13:17   #17

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Amel 55 had plenty of faults on the prototype
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 14:08   #18

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

+1 for me on the Ikea remark. Another Ikea boat to join the fray☹️
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 21:44   #19

Yes for some it will have the IKEA or high production boat "look" but knowing this company it will be built to a much higher standard. Seems to me that their older designs were great underway or crossing oceans but less comfy at dockside. ..now they offer a new product for a new buyer profile...someone who enjoys high quality but is more at home doing short trips or spending the weekend dockside entertaining friends. A much bigger market than their last offering.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 22:00   #20

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Apparently I'm in the minority - I actually like the IKEA style, what I don't like is IKEA build quality. As long as they use good materials and construction standards, I feel it'll make a fine addition to the stable.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:37   #21

The new Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
Apparently I'm in the minority - I actually like the IKEA style, what I don't like is IKEA build quality. As long as they use good materials and construction standards, I feel it'll make a fine addition to the stable.

I agree with that, if quality remains, I don't see any problems with the design. Plus I wouldn't say you only are in the minority in terms of loudness on CF ^^
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	149001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	149002
Old 02-06-2017, 09:53   #22

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

Really interesting design - I don't object to the more modern look and they seem to have created an aft cockpit version of a center cockpit boat.

I can't help feeling reminded of the Moody DS54 (a feeling of high freeboard) but the Amel 50 looks like she would be better offshore than the Moody - as long as those hull windows are strong enough.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:54   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmate View Post
I like it. Will the first of the new model be Delos 2?
I hope they're smarter than that...I'd take their old one over this any day
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:44   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

It is a sloop? Yukie. ;-)

I do not like the in-topside windows at all. Sure they offer nice vistas but how about docking on a windy day.

I love Amels otherwise. Looking forward to seeing their newest baby.

BIG THANKS to the OP for sharing!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:33   #25
cruiser

I just saw a new Amel 55 up close today, which had an incredibly small cockpit for a 55ft sailboat, it was for sale. The 50 doesn't seem to make sense on some practical points, but maybe the company is trying to appeal to the Beneteau Sense crowd? If so, Beneteau has them beat both in style and price, so who's the potential buyer?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:45   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. The same thing happened to HR some time back. Not sure why good boatyards drift towards cheapo market niches. I assume then good boats simply do not sell many enough to justify lower margins to stockholders.

Perhaps boatyards should not be owned by people who do not understand building a dream is not quite like building a condo for rent.

If the boat is a mistake, Amel will be out of business soon. This would be a shame though.

I think 55 is super sexy. Out of our financial reach but never out of my personal top shelf.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 15:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just saw a new Amel 55 up close today, which had an incredibly small cockpit for a 55ft sailboat, it was for sale. The 50 doesn't seem to make sense on some practical points, but maybe the company is trying to appeal to the Beneteau Sense crowd? If so, Beneteau has them beat both in style and price, so who's the potential buyer?

... the only thing bringing an Amel and a sense close would be the aesthetic from a blind man's perspective. Plus you don't target a main production boat audience with an Amel and its price tag...
Old 02-06-2017, 16:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. The same thing happened to HR some time back. Not sure why good boatyards drift towards cheapo market niches. I assume then good boats simply do not sell many enough to justify lower margins to stockholders.
All we see here is Amel diversifying a little bit, and let me remind you Amel used to produce smaller sloops a long time ago.

About HR, I can't decide if you're talking about their use of plumb bows, double rudders and such but maybe it's pure logic and there's no reason to keep an overall worse design that only a few still dream of. Competition is rough.

Plus i don't see why it would be a bad thing if someone can get a safe quality boat from a renown brand for a bit less money than it used to cost.

Quote:
Perhaps boatyards should not be owned by people who do not understand building a dream is not quite like building a condo for rent.
I am interested in what particular boatyards you think of

Quote:
If the boat is a mistake, Amel will be out of business soon. This would be a shame though.

As if big boatyards would launch a model deliberately breaking their traditional image not knowing if it's a mistake or not. And as if in the worst waste scenario a failed model could possibly put them out of business. You didn't even try to think there right?
Old 02-06-2017, 17:26   #29

Boat: Catalina 470

I have very little internet at the moment thus have not read the whole thread, sorry if I repeat something that has already been said.
A friend of mine send me amel 50info last week, they currently own a super maramu. Of course she loves it (50) because its an Amel, I also like it ,as i like modern boats BUT I feel Amel have lost there way.
Henry Amel would not design a boat with two exposed rudders rudders etc, and his priority wouldn't be form, it would be function. The super maramus design brief was designed around super functional , round the world ocean going vessel, I believe the design brief here is aimed at a different market.
The super maramu is attractive based on how evolved and functional it is, from the engine room, to the saildrive built into the keel, to prop shaft driven alternator, the ease at which you can measure tank volumes, the maintainence free decks etc etc....this 50 imho is about style or more about form than function.
Its probably a great boat, id love one, but its along way from what made Amel a success.

In business one of the most valuable lessons I learnt was "postioning" understanding the mind of the consumer.

Hope it works for them.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 16:22   #30

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I like it. Some systems are now simpler but... I expect €750k or so ready to sail...
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote