Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50   #1

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
"The Dink" Dinghies

Has anyone ever had one of these dinghies? The Dinks
One is for sale in my neck of the woods and the price is right, I'm just curious about a few things.

I'm most curious about the sailing version. I know dinghy/yacht tender sailing is usually pretty lack luster compared to a race dinghy, but I'm curious how they do. I plan on using one as a tender and sailing at anchor or out of the marina on hot days when we are hanging around but not taking the bigger boat out.

So have you had one? How was the quality of construction? Would it only sail on a reach? Or can it point into the wind a little bit? Are they really tippy or not so bad for a rigid hull?

With the squared off stern I'm hoping it's a little more sure footed than my old wood and fiberglass pram that is now so waterlogged it must weigh 180lbs at least.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05   #2

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: "The Dink" Dinghies

I've had one of these but not the sailing version. One thing to watch for is water getting in between the outer hull and the inner liner, once this happens the Dink gets real heavy. Otherwise, it's a stable tough dinghy that has nice non-skid and fairly maintenance free. I found a good deal on a Fatty Knees with sail rig so I sold my Dink.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 15:49   #3

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: "The Dink" Dinghies

Cool thanks for the heads up. Mine seams to be hollow no foam between the hull and the inner liner. At least back where I shined a light in the rear seat. There was some water in it when I picked it up. I pulled it out of the pond and hear a slosh. I pulled the plug and got a quart out. Anyways not bad for the $200 I paid with the sail mast rudder and board.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum