Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 12:16   #61

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: The difference between an inshore and offshore boat. Would you take a boat l...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I assume you are talking about bolts screwed in to an iron keel. What about l-shaped bolts set in a lead keel, how do those get replaced?
You can send your keel off to Mars Keel. They have a bolt dig-out-and-refit service.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 13:26   #62

Boat: Swan 432
Re: The difference between an inshore and offshore boat. Would you take a boat l...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
You can send your keel off to Mars Keel. They have a bolt dig-out-and-refit service.
Thanks for the response. That sounds expensive!
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 14:29   #63

I have changed my mind.
For years now I have been preaching that you can go in a fin keel spade rudder production boat or in a catamaran.
I have changed my mind. All my boats were long fin with skeg rudder , semi full keels except the Catamaran. You CAN go rock climbing without experience, but should you?
The ocean is not forgiving. In the last 6 months I am aware of 3 cats that have been abandoned at sea. One brand new. Those are just the ones I know of. Also 3 (?) fin keel production boats. I don't spend my time looking for or tracking these things.
Sure you CAN go in anything, but should you?... if you have a conservative mind at all?

Do you want a boat that is robust? Forgiving? Able to forgive you of your mistakes?
Let's say you get a bargain fin keel production boat. Anyone conservative with experience on the ocean would want to inspect the rudder out of the boat, drop the keel and re bolt and rebed it. Replace the cheap plastic, brass, gate valves , ball valves or other types. These costs alone should make you think twice.
I'm not dissing bene's and the like, some people on our forum are out there cruising in them and it's working out.
I'm just saying if you want a boat that will take care of you well, you aren't a person who does things "on the edge"... then think about it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 14:49   #64

Boat: Little Harbor 53'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have changed my mind.
For years now I have been preaching that you can go in a fin keel spade rudder production boat or in a catamaran.
I have changed my mind. All my boats were long fin with skeg rudder , semi full keels except the Catamaran. You CAN go rock climbing without experience, but should you?
The ocean is not forgiving. In the last 6 months I am aware of 3 cats that have been abandoned at sea. One brand new. Those are just the ones I know of. Also 3 (?) fin keel production boats. I don't spend my time looking for or tracking these things.
Sure you CAN go in anything, but should you?... if you have a conservative mind at all?

Do you want a boat that is robust? Forgiving? Able to forgive you of your mistakes?
Let's say you get a bargain fin keel production boat. Anyone conservative with experience on the ocean would want to inspect the rudder out of the boat, drop the keel and re bolt and rebed it. Replace the cheap plastic, brass, gate valves , ball valves or other types. These costs alone should make you think twice.
I'm not dissing bene's and the like, some people on our forum are out there cruising in them and it's working out.
I'm just saying if you want a boat that will take care of you well, you aren't a person who does things "on the edge"... then think about it.

Great post.
Jbingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 15:16   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The difference between an inshore and offshore boat. Would you take a boat l...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbingham View Post
Great post.
LOLOL... only coz he's leaning your way..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 15:25   #66

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
I have changed my mind.

+1 .. I never change my mind about fin and spade stuff in fact is not the source of trouble, mostly bad practiques and bad construction techniques , there is hundreds of good offshore designs with properly designed and build it fin keels and spade rudders,, a fin keel its another thing in the list with a schedule maintenance , and a expensive one in most cases ...to me the difference between an inshore and a offshore boat answering the Op is dozen and dozen of details, Pan liners for structural integrity, No.... bulkheads resting in liners , Nooo.. Fin keels bolted to thin flat sections of hull or even in many production boats to the pan liner.. Noooo. fuel and water tanks secured in a funy fashion with straps No.... and the list is endless... i dont know why the boat industry is not regulated like the Aviation industry,, sure there is many people doing TW and crossing oceans with boats not designed for offshore sailing , my guess, Luck and good weather play a big role....in other words, no bolts here... and RIP for the boys of Cheeky Rafiki, very sad event....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 15:29   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOLOL... only coz he's leaning your way..

If by my way you mean good safety information yes indeed. Not manufacturer specific. Safety specific.

What's with THE LOLOL? You are actually laughing out loud or not. No one laughs out loud out loud. Just sayin'

You want everyone to just buy a boat and fly off the dock without getting feedback on safety items to be aware of? I dint even understand what your argument is?

If someone here said: "great boats. Consider doing x y and z and you greatly reduce risk" is that bad?
Old 25-05-2014, 15:45   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The difference between an inshore and offshore boat. Would you take a boat l...

[QUOTE=Jbingham;1549698]
You want everyone to just buy a boat and fly off the dock without getting feedback on safety items to be aware of? I dint even understand what your argument is? QUOTE]

No argument.. just reality...
New owners buy boats and expect folk like me to deliver them.. then when the boat arrives they start thinking safety..
I find that hilarious..

Laugh
Out
Loud
Ohhh
Lordy....

Old 25-05-2014, 16:14   #69

[QUOTE=boatman61;1549705]
Quote:
You want everyone to just buy a boat and fly off the dock without getting feedback on safety items to be aware of? I dint even understand what your argument is? QUOTE]

New owners buy boats and expect folk like me to deliver them.. then when the boat arrives they start thinking safety..
I find that hilarious..

Laugh
Out
Loud
Ohhh
Lordy....

What type of boat do you currently own?
Old 25-05-2014, 16:19   #70

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

[QUOTE=boatman61;1549705]
Quote:

I find that hilarious..

Laugh
Out
Loud
Ohhh
Lordy....
You crack me up....we are seeing too many losses...when you tire of going, or are ordered to by someone you won't refuse, you must submit to teaching. Lives are being lost. Poor decisions made. Folks are not respecting fear when caution is warranted. Of course mother nature will tear off your keel and blow out your ports if she wants to,.....but she rewards respect and diligence.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 16:27   #71

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: The dTifference between an inshore and offshore boat. Would you take a boat l...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
I suspect the twisting of the hull structure when the keel was ripped off may well have flexed the ports enough to break them, much as a car rolling and flexing can shatter its windows.
That's a good point, but then the keel must have ripped away pretty violently. I wonder if it is possible that after they experienced problems with their keel, they collided with another vessel or a whale, that ripped off the keel entirely and flexed the boat, shattering the windows. Does that sound plausible?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 16:33   #72
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I have changed my mind.

Did you see the thread about "Elusive" being abandoned 350nms off Virginia? Full keeler. Ketch too.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 16:40   #73

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

No need to make wild guesses. With the keel gone, the boat's windows were, at times, required to do the job previously done by the inverted hull. Wave action directly on the windows would easily be sufficient for them to fail.

One thing to note is that these types of boats with huge windows are not well conceived for survival in storm conditions. Any owner of such a boat would be well advised to properly install removable storm covers before placing his crew's lives at risk.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 16:44   #74
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Jbingham;1549723]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

What type of boat do you currently own?
In between my 14th and 15th... been Cats, Fins, Full Encapsulated, Bilge and Centreboards to date.. is that relevant to the point..??

Old 25-05-2014, 16:49   #75

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

[QUOTE=boatman61;1549747]
Quote:

In between my 14th and 15th... been Cats, Fins, Full Encapsulated, Bilge and Centreboards to date.. is that relevant to the point..??
You forgot plywood.........
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, offshore