Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 14:51   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
The cost of buying a used monohull 34-39' (from a newbie)

The cost of buying a used monohull

We have been boat shopping, and during the process, it was suggested we start looking for a slip. The price was a shocking, to say the least. It put us right back at square one in developing the right budget for our needs. We quickly realized we weren't accounting for a lot of the cost to own a sailboat. I ended up doing some calculations to see what was a fit. Here are my results in the hope this helps another noobie.

Disclaimers

1) This is our first boat
2) I am not a boat buying expert, so some of these might be off. However, I do describe where I got the info
3) This is primarily for South Florida, and insurance is high
4) The boat size ranges we were looking at are 34'-39' monohull post-2000.
5) This does not include maintenance or repairs. I didn't add it here, but we are assuming a 5-10% of the original purchase price for yearly maintenance.
6) We are not going to liveaboard
7) yes we could probably get away with a smaller boat 27'-32'. We might have to.
8) No we have not purchased yet so these numbers are rough

Why 34'-37'

Well, all the boats we have looked at in the 34-37 range have a lot of space and are supposedly easy to handle with two people. They will provide ample room for a weekend liveaboard with our large dog. Also, it has the potential for Gulf crossing to the Bahamas (yes I know people have done it in a rowboat).

In our current market South East Florida, a lot of the boats we see are Beneteau, Hunter, and Jeanneau. Occasionally we see a Catalina. I am sure a lot of newbies like me are attracted to owning these boats. So these numbers refelct current market for these brands.

Ignoring repairs and upgrades, we are trying to get a handle on how boat size and price affects things like slip fees and insurance.

Where did you get you boat insurance quotes?

I used Beneteau's at these sizes and price points to determine rough insurance quotes. These had a small deductible and covered the purchase price (agreed value). I used Geico. From what I understand different providers will have a range of prices. Also, I am first-time boat owner, so it is likely to be higher.

Where did you get the slip fees?

I called a lot of marinas from west palm to Stuart. The lowest I found was $15 and the highest was $29

Sales tax for purchase is included and insurance in monthly

copperwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hull, monohull