Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 04:32   #1

The Corbin 39 and the search for a Bluewater cruiser in Europe

My wife and I are planning to start our cruising life in Europe in 2016 and we are looking to buy a cruising yacht in Europe somewhere between 37 and 41 foot, I have been drawn towards the Corbin 39 but there are not a lot in Europe mostly The U.S. And Canada.
as the hope of buying a Corbin 39 in Europe becomes less of a reality I am after some advice on Proven Bluewater cruising yachts aval on the European market under USD 100k.

We are from Australia and will be travelling to France in May 2016 for work

I would love to hear from anyone who has done what we plan to do with any advice to give?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
vistech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:52   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: The Corbin 39 and the search for a Bluewater cruiser in Europe

proven with a capital P.

Thats even more difficult!

Good luck.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 13:47   #3

Boat: PSC 37

Corbins are nice boats. We're thinking about one ourselves.

Are you looking fir alternatives to Corbins? How about something like a Vancouver?

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 09-07-2015, 14:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistech1 View Post
My wife and I are planning to start our cruising life in Europe in 2016 and we are looking to buy a cruising yacht in Europe somewhere between 37 and 41 foot, I have been drawn towards the Corbin 39 but there are not a lot in Europe mostly The U.S. And Canada.
as the hope of buying a Corbin 39 in Europe becomes less of a reality I am after some advice on Proven Bluewater cruising yachts aval on the European market under USD 100k.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done what we plan to do with any advice to give?
While I have not yet done what you are planning, I have spent some time considering it seriously.

Coincidentally, today I looked at a Corbin 39 (online) that is in Canada.

With a budget of up to $100K (for asking price), I think you should be able to find many boats that are good.

If you had a little more, I would search for a Alubat OVNI. I have seen those used for about $130K. I like the design.

High on my list (or RADAR) would be:
Amel
Wauquiez
Hallberg Rassy

But, given that you like the Corbin (a heavy cruiser), I would look in the Netherlands. Many of the boats I have seen there are styled after a Colin Archer boat style, some have very nice wood interiors, and they are built for North Sea conditions.

There are apparently many Van De Stadt boats on the market with those being built by small yards and some 'home built' and finished by owners. Some look nice.

Amel Mango and Sharki would be on my RADAR too (if you want an older, but quality brand boat).

I am not listing the newer production boats, because they don't look anything like your desired Corbin.

Considering boats for cruising in Europe, I think it is a good idea to stick with a European brand boat (rather than an American boat).

Here is a thread I started based on my research (ongoing) into European boat brands within a range (for asking price). I looked at this for three different price ranges (for three different threads).

As you do your own research, please feel free to add what you find to the following thread (if the boat fits the parameters of the thread topic).

Here is the first thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-136069.html

Here is a Google Custom Search I did today for you with key word "European" and it contains several threads that can help you:

European - Google Search

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.
Old 09-07-2015, 15:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just got an email today with a Corbin 39 (new listing) in it.

1987 CORBIN PILOTHOUSE Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 15:49   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

"I have been drawn towards the Corbin 39 but"...

There was a Corbin in Ca. going REALLY cheap. Apparently they came with both solid glass lay-up and airex cored hull. This one (most are) was cored. A trusted surveyor I've used for years told me not to touch a cored hull. I won't go into the reasons why now. So if you find one, you might want to explore that option.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangann View Post
Corbins are nice boats. We're thinking about one ourselves.

Are you looking fir alternatives to Corbins? How about something like a Vancouver?

An Ocean Lover in Maine.

Hi there thanks for your advice, yes I am open to other options though I have found that the Corbin 39 seems to be sensibly priced overall. I will have a look at the Vancouver. Thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 02:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
While I have not yet done what you are planning, I have spent some time considering it seriously.

Coincidentally, today I looked at a Corbin 39 (online) that is in Canada.

With a budget of up to $100K (for asking price), I think you should be able to find many boats that are good.

If you had a little more, I would search for a Alubat OVNI. I have seen those used for about $130K. I like the design.

High on my list (or RADAR) would be:
Amel
Wauquiez
Hallberg Rassy

But, given that you like the Corbin (a heavy cruiser), I would look in the Netherlands. Many of the boats I have seen there are styled after a Colin Archer boat style, some have very nice wood interiors, and they are built for North Sea conditions.

There are apparently many Van De Stadt boats on the market with those being built by small yards and some 'home built' and finished by owners. Some look nice.

Amel Mango and Sharki would be on my RADAR too (if you want an older, but quality brand boat).

I am not listing the newer production boats, because they don't look anything like your desired Corbin.

Considering boats for cruising in Europe, I think it is a good idea to stick with a European brand boat (rather than an American boat).

Here is a thread I started based on my research (ongoing) into European boat brands within a range (for asking price). I looked at this for three different price ranges (for three different threads).

As you do your own research, please feel free to add what you find to the following thread (if the boat fits the parameters of the thread topic).

Here is the first thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-136069.html

Here is a Google Custom Search I did today for you with key word "European" and it contains several threads that can help you:

European - Google Search

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Hi Steady hand thanks for your input I will have a look at the threads you suggested and the Google search,

I'm not completely stuck on the Corbin, I have found a Tayana 37 locally in Australia that I love, she is called Adventure bound and she not so long featured on a NZ news article when her skipper took her to the rescue of a stricken vessel in Tonga,

anyway she has everything I want except a pilot house which for me would be quite good on ocean crossings, but I need to be in Europe in May next year so hence the search for boats there.

Old 10-07-2015, 15:28   #9

Boat: ORSO 1983 Nordica 20, PUFFER 1983 NORDICA 30

If you are wanting a Corbin really bad why not start your trip on the east coast of canada where they were built. Cross the Atlantic and you are in Europe. There are still many corbins in the province of Quebec on the st-laurence as a few as well on the Great Lakes. If you buy soon you will also get a great deal on the Canadian dollar. A pretty boat for sure. Good luck in your search

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 15:41   #10
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistech1 View Post

There is one waiting for you there. I guess you saw this one - 1982 CORBIN Cutter 39 Pilothouse CC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, cruise, cruiser, Europe, rope, water