Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 09:10   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Termites in the hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
C-Flex is like a fiberglass cloth with flexible plastic rods spaced several inches apart in the cloth. It comes in rolls. Homebuilders lay it over bulkheads and ribs to quickly form the hull shape. But it takes several additional layers of cloth and resin to make the outer skin. Then you go inside and put several more layers of cloth and resin to end up with a hull of at least 1/4 to 3/8".

In old wooden boats it's stapled to the hull and when done right, resin is forced thru to bond with the hull. At least 1/4" of additional layers are done. And you end up with a heavy boat. A wood hull plus a fiberglass one on the same displacement. The wood hull has to stay dry. No water in the bilge, no deck leaks, no drips or the wood rots. With pre-EPA wood preservers you might protect the wood hull, but not today.

C-flex is a very good product for a one off, if they still make it. Bill Seemans sold the co. some 40 yrs ago. I believe it was his brain child.
I have reservations about people glassing planked wooden hulls for longevity unless it's for a live aboard.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 09:31   #32

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Looking at it completely logically - that 5k is the best investment you ever made. Go by a lottery ticket - you're on a heater. I think that's the term-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 12:48   #33

Boat: Ted brewer 40

I agree
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:54   #34

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim francis View Post
I am in escrow on a 43 Bruce Roberts built in Trinidad in 1998 using c flex construction. I waited 2.5 months for the boat to be hauled out. After 1550 in survey fees, I got the news that the bottom was in bad shape. Several large blisters and a few somewhat superficial cracks in the glass. Maybe not somewhat superficial. You would think this post should be titled thank god for surveys but in the situation I’m in now, I may make an offer of a dollar. I have about five grand or more invested in it up to and including travel between Maui and Oahu. The in water survey for the most part was good and valued pretty high. It would make a great liveaboard with a great Perkins and a five kw genset that needs about a thousand dollars in repairs. I’ve been living in my conversion van to save money for a great cruiser. I think if I can get the boat with out spending another fistful of thousand dollar bills, I could liveaboard and daysail for my planned five or so years before full time cruising. I’m 39 single no kids and full time captain. If I can get the bottom patched up and painted, with the certainty of it holding water out of the boat, it may be worth it. That’s my thought process. Offer a dollar and use it near coastal only with epirb in hand. I doubt I would insure it. I doubt I can get full coverage. Unfortunately I’m already emotionally involved with the boat. This post is to tell of my story from my initial offer to this point three months later. Also, there’s not a lot of bells and whistles. The reefer is awesome, sails in good shape minus the Mizzen. Great head. 120 gallons water with water maker and 140 diesel. Very roomy inside. New paint inside and out. New cushions throughout. Two central ac units. Liferaft needs recertification. One gps. One starting battery. No bank batteries. Oven works. Tons of storage. Huge aft berth. Winless. Hot water heater. Etc. the owner is heartbroken of course. The boat sat for at least six years with minimal sail time. Engine started once a week but not generator. Genset locked up. Bottom cleaned monthly. Since it will be on my mooring, I’d buy more solar and possible wind generator. I’m not sure how much the bottom patch job and more panels, batteries will cost me but I’ll get that estimate tomorrow. They are tenting the boat and nuking the termites. There’s also a possibility of fixing the bottom professionally in five years when I can save and budget the 20 to 40 thousand to do it right. I’ll move to Oahu and do the majority of the bottom work at that time as my full time job if I take that route.

Wish me luck and I know I should run away. Aloha and mahalo.
I guess I am a little confused about why you are 5k deep on this boat. $1,550 for survey: like $600 for haul and launch and $1000 for survey (seems really high). A couple of inter-island flights can't cost more than $500 right? Are you worried about losing your down payment? It seems like BS that he'd keep it since he lied about construction materials.

Tags
hull