Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 01:06   #1

Tender for 42 ft cruiser

Hi all...

So, have just purchased a radford 415... and it has bombproof Davits, but no tender.

I am a fishing tragic and my tender will used not only for the mundane to and fro, but also to go further afield to chase fish in far flung places.

Most tenders are displacement type inflatables, but I have a feeling I would like a hard chine planing boat.

But I really don’t know... what is a good choice? Plastic, ally, inflatable, semi rigid, or even a portabote...

How does weight hung off the back, how does that affect the sailing performance of the yacht...

Would love some advice or your experience.

Thanks..

Brad
Thickasaplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:23   #2

Re: Tender for 42 ft cruiser

We had an Aluminium dinghy they are lightweight and plane easily. The brand was https://www.billhigham.co.uk/product...3WwQAvD_BwEand
parachute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:21   #3

Thank you Parachute... looks like a really nice boat!

I’lll see if there is something similar in oz....

B
Thickasaplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:13   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

If your priority is easy planing and getting far afield, you might consider a Takacat as an unconventional choice. They're built in NZ so easy to find in Oz.

https://www.multihullcentral.com/takacat/
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:53   #5

Look at Rigid Boats ( rigidboats.com ). Also known as Boss Boats under previous ownership. I do not know if they are available in your area.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:54   #6

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Check out OC Tenders. Made in NZ. A bit pricey, but lightweight due to carbon fiber construction.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:04   #7

Also search 'dory' at craigslist.org in northeast USA. Interesting designs. Apparently similar boats by several manufacturers. Probably your area has similar designs.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:56   #8

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Romarine 8' Dinghy
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasaplank View Post
Hi all...

So, have just purchased a radford 415... and it has bombproof Davits, but no tender.

I am a fishing tragic and my tender will used not only for the mundane to and fro, but also to go further afield to chase fish in far flung places.

Most tenders are displacement type inflatables, but I have a feeling I would like a hard chine planing boat.

But I really don’t know... what is a good choice? Plastic, ally, inflatable, semi rigid, or even a portabote...

How does weight hung off the back, how does that affect the sailing performance of the yacht...

Thanks..

Brad
Get a RIB, get a 10 ft one. It's an exploring tool and important. Get 10-15 hp. 15 hp is better and weighs about the same.
I used to explore even 10 - 15 miles away by RIB. There is a lot out there most dont go and see!
Try to keep the RIB on the light side. You dont really need a double floor.
Hanging the dink on the davits is a bit unsightly, but until you start crossing the ocean, it's super convenient. You can always put it on deck when you cross an ocean.

You can take a 10 ft RIB comfortably in large heavy swells and still make it home. A RIB wont beat hell out of the side of your mothership either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 13:05   #10

If you can afford the OCTenders they are definitely the way to go - much roomier and longer lasting than a RIB, lots of extra options (such as fishing rod holders) and a thick rubrail that is both decorative and functional. Their current largest design is the 3.6m (they are working on a 4m but haven't finished work on the prototype yet) which will easily plane with a (still luggable) 10hp outboard. And their customer support is legendary.
Ifitsworthdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 14:31   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have similar needs. Have a 10ft AB with 20hp Honda. Will trade up for 12ft hard with at least 20hp. I find 10 ft a bit small for fishing and crab pots. Also tired of patching.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 14:51   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasaplank View Post
Hi all...

Thanks..

Brad
Just get a regular inflatable RIB, They're all designed to plan, not sure why you think they are all displacement, In fact basically none of them are. Highfield aluminum tenders are quite popular right now.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 16:04   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

A very popular tender here on Lake Macquarie is the Highfield 290. It comes in ultralight 46kg or classic 59kg. PVC or hypalon. We have a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke and a 5hp. The 5 is light 18kg but just doesn’t cut it. The 9.8 with 2 people and 3 dawgs does 16knots. We don’t have davits so can’t help there but my friends do and carry theirs everywhere on the davits. Max power is 20hp. Rated for 4 people but it’s wet with 4.
philcun50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 23:06   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Ports-bote rule my needs
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 00:05   #15

Won't it depend on if you want to eventually go up North Queensland and over through the Kimberley? And why wouldn't you?
Don't imagine you will want any type of inflatable up there.
Tinnies or other hard tender all the way I think up there.
If you want to also use it as family fun consider a sail version, Walker Bay 10 etc (not a tinnie though, but pretty tough)
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, tender