Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 18:25   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
Tell Me About The Hunter 25.5

My wife and I are very new to sailing despite the fact we have already owned and sold a Catalina 25. It just wasn't working for her.

We have looked off and on over the summer for something she likes and this past week we came across a Hunter 25.5. I have always been told to stay away from Hunters but it seems the only folks telling me that are non-Hunter owners. We did an internet search on the topic and it brought us here but the only info we can find is for Hunters 35' and larger.

Would anyone here have any solid pros and con's on an 85 Hunter 25.5? I figured for $5k with a trailer and good sails & outboard it was worth a look.

Thank you.
Kyle
Kper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:15   #2

Re: Tell Me About The Hunter 25.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kper View Post
....I figured for $5k with a trailer and good sails & outboard it was worth a look.

Thank you.
Kyle
Maybe not.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:23   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

try the Hunter site

Hunter Owner Forums - SailboatOwners.com
Old 10-09-2013, 04:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
try the Hunter site
[/url]
Don, I tried posting there but that section isn't available on the drop-down menu. I'll get with a mod for assistance.
Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04   #5

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Raced on one a few times and looked at several for sale. Pretty fast, small cockpit, short V-berth, useful metal toe rail. Biggest issue was every one we looked at had blister issues and sagging deck under the mast. Short lazarettes discourage stretching out in cockpit at anchor.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:49   #6

Hey, Kper. So glad to hear you guys love sailing too!

I own a 1986 Hunter 25.5 and would be glad to share my thoughts.

My marina neighbor has a Catalina 25 about same vintage, and they are quite different. The Hunter is a much larger boat with higher freeboard (taller) and more beam (wider). The result is a much roomier, comfortable boat than the C25 (even though same length class). Don't get me wrong, I like Catalina's too, but in this year/size the Hunter is bigger and more comfortable. You can stretch out in the cockpit and get more people and stuff onboard.

The good...
Durable - for a 27 year old boat it has held up well. I have normal wear and tear but most everything is in good shape. Gelcoat is aging, but not bad considering the age.

Easy/fun to sail. Good sail controls, led to the cockpit. Good hardware including winches.

Problem areas....
The main issue I had (and others seem to have) is leaking at the chain plates. Make sure you inspect this area on the boat you are looking at.

My port chain plate leaked over the years and damaged the port bulkhead. My damage is not severe so I have not repaired/replaced yet. I just sealed the chainplate where it goes through the deck to prevent continued leaking. I have seen photos online of much worse damage and big repair jobs. Watch out for this area. If it's clean and dry on the boat you are interested in just make sure to seal and monitor this so leaking does not start.

I'm really enjoying our H25. Feel free to post back any questions.

Cheers,
Steve
Austin, TX
S/V Amore Mio 1986 Hunter 25.5
stevewardaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 16:23   #7

Boat: Gemini 3200

I bought a Hunter 25 new in 1979 and finally sold it in 2012. Hunter discontinued that model and replaced it with the 25.5 just a year or two after I bought my boat. I looked at them at the boat show and felt it was no match for the older 25. The rigging and construction were less robust.

But if you're looking for a coastal cruiser or day sailer and you find a boat you like that's over 20 years old and still in good condition it's reasonable to expect it will hold up well during your ownership. If they were really badly built there wouldn't be any of them around 20 years later.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 16:35   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
My wife and I are very new to sailing despite the fact we have already owned and sold a Catalina 25. It just wasn't working for her.

Thank you.
Kyle

How much different, really, is there between a 25C and 25.5H?

Old 12-09-2013, 15:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

How much different, really, is there between a 25C and 25.5H?

I have no idea, we're still pretty new to this and finding good examples to look at is tough.

In the next couple weeks we'll be looking at the Huner 25.5, an O'Day 25 and a Chrysler 26 w/fin keel and inboard.

Just trying to gain some knowledge.
Old 13-09-2013, 16:27   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I have no idea, we're still pretty new to this and finding good examples to look at is tough.

In the next couple weeks we'll be looking at the Huner 25.5, an O'Day 25 and a Chrysler 26 w/fin keel and inboard.

Just trying to gain some knowledge.
Well this is a really good place with lots of knowledgeable people. Hopefully some will be able to help. Sorry I can't.

Welcome to CF.
Old 16-09-2013, 18:59   #11

Boat: Hunter 25.5

Some of the positives for the Hunter 25.5:

1. The 25.5 is sturdy and well built. And the standard equipment is functional and appropriately sized for the boat. I think Cortland Steck did an excellent job with the design of the boat ... and Hunter did and equally good job with the production and finish out of the boat.
- halyards are internal to the mast ... and led to the cockpit.
- reefing lines are internal to boom, as is the 4:1 outhaul.
- geared, self-tailing sheet winches.
- sturdy, pin-lock mainsheet traveler is in the cockpit (and out of the way)
- aluminum toe rail.
2. The cockpit of the 25.5 has plenty of room for four. And the cabin has enough room that you will can get out of the weather. There is a full galley (albeit small) ... and three berths, making short cruises possible.
3. The 25.5 sails/handles like a dinghy. You will learn how to sail ... not just how to drive.

Some of less than positives for the 25.5:

1. The 25.5 seems a bit over sailed. I find it best to reef early and often. Once reefed she stays on her feet ... and is very well behaved. And even when overpowered she never picks up enormous weather helm, it's just that she seems more tender than I would expect of a boat with a displacement of 4,500 lbs. (But then most of my experience has been racing centerboard boats and course racing keelboats ... not in cruising class boats.)
2. The 25.5 is well suited for lake/bay sailing. I would not use it for coastal cruising ... or offshore.
3. As with all boats this vintage, the electrical system (while simple) is antiquated. Be prepared to do some work to make it servicable.
4. The space inside the cabin results in the 25.5 having more freeboard than other boats of similar length ... which results in considerable windage from the hull. (My 25.5 is powered by an old 15-hp, 2-cycle, Mercury, which is normally more than adequate. But even so there are times when the windage makes maneuvering under power a bit problematic.)
5. The Maxwell winches are more than adequate and easy to service, but Allen Hutton in Australia is the only guy on the planet who has parts.
6. Apparently the 25.5 did NOT come with an electric bilge pump as standard equipment. The 25.5 does have a sump in the bilge, so installing a bilge pump and keeping the bilge dry is not a big deal. But installation of the bilge pump discharge can be a bit problematic. If the discharge line does not have a high loop with a vacuum breaker, when the boat heels over, burying the bilge pump discharge, water will tend to siphon back into the bilge.
7. The chainplates on the 25.5 seem to be very susceptible to leaking. It is not particularly difficult to keep them watertight, but if left unattended they will leak and over time the water intrusion can rot the bulkheads. Inspect the forward side of the port bulkhead ... below the chain plate ... where the shelf over the hanging locker connects to the bulkhead. When the port chainplate leaks, water will accumulate on the top of the shelf, and over time this water can rot the bulkhead. Significant rot in a bulkhead this close to the chainplate is cause for concern. There is potential for a similar problem on the starboard side ... here water can accumulate on the top of the sink vanity. I know of at least three SBO forum members who replaced the bulkheads on their 25.5s because of leaking chainplates.
8. The icebox drains into the bilge. This is less than optimum but it is easily fixed by plugging (with a cork) the drain hole inside the icebox.

For more info, here is a link to the SBO HunterOwners.com website: SailboatOwners.com

Search for Hunter 25.5 and you will find reams of info ... some of which might be helpful.

Regards,

E. Godsey
egodsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter