Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 04:35   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Ted Brewer 42

Hello Cruisers,

I just met a Ted Brewer 42 (well, actually, I just met the owners).

Its seems to be a VERY nice boat, looks like a serious bit of kit, fantastic open centre cockpit, pretty low freeboard, good room on deck. The couple have done round the world on it, over 15 years if I followed them correctly.

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me, it's not often I find a boat I know nothing about which has so much instant appeal to me so I went to look it up on sailboat data and now I am confused.

It is a ketch rig, which makes it look like the Whitby 42, but it has an 8' draft. And this is not the centreboard draft as we had quite a discussion about the draft and the difficulty it causes them. It seems to be their only fault with the boat. But all the ketch rigged Ted Brewer 42s I could find were centreboard boats with a 4 foot draft, and 9' with the board down, and were called a Whitby 42. There seemed to be some kind of mix and matching you could do, and I thought they might have the 12.8, but I could not find any 12.8 ketch rigged boats.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd love to be better informed next time we meet up, as they knew LOTS about the Swanson 42 (including, somewhat cryptically calling them "the pub boat", can anyone shed some light on that?) and they are probably about to be my neighbours at the marina as I will have to move our boat soon and the spot next to them is free.

Matt

P.S. No I am not about to trade in the Swanson, I love it, but I am curious about this boat, there are very few boats that pique my interest like this one did.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 04:47   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Ted Brewer 42

The Whitby 42's were built by Kurt Hansen in Whitby, Ontario. He also built other Whitbys from 27 to 55 feet.

The Brewers ( 42(12.8) AND 44) were built in Florida, again by Hansen. This yard continued when the Whitby yard closed. They were, in effect, updated Whitby 42's. I don't think any of these were ketches.

There are a few other "Brewers" floating around, ran into a pilothouse one about seven years ago. Never got to the bottom of that one.

Just remembered Kurt built the famous Alberg 30 and Alberg 37 in Whitby too.
Old 17-12-2013, 06:29   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You may find this site of interest:

Whitby Brewer Sailboats - Whitby Brewer Sailboats

Also, Ted himself has been known to answer civil e-mails:

Ted Brewer Yacht Design

Good luck. I love Brewer designs, but the eight foot draft could be limiting. On the other hand, you could carry jib and jigger at 40 knots with that counterweight!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 06:48   #4

Boat: Catalina 34

Could the boat in question be a custom Brewer 42 or perhaps Brewer's Cape North 43 or Olympic 42? Ted also designed the Pacific 42, but this was a salty looking ketch with a clipper bow and long bowsprit (Burl Ives owned one!).

In any case, Ted was kind enough to share his thoughts about the evolution of Black Velvet II into several other 42/43 footers, including those named above and the Whitby 42, in a guest post he wrote for me last year here. Maybe it will shed some light on the boat you met.
Old 17-12-2013, 06:57   #5

Whitby 42 had quite high free-board and shallow draft so windward work was never its best point of sail, popular though. The Cape North 43 had lower free board and was a much nicer boat, all around and it was pretty to the eye.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:49   #6

That's funny. I see the Whitby 42 as having a relatively low freeboard... I think I have been hanging around Swanson's too long.

Thanks for links Alchemy and Hannabel. That guest post in particular seems to reinforce the point that there were lots of variations on these boats. By the sound of things the idea of a custom Brewer 42 probably sums it up nicely.

I feel better prepared to meet my neighbours now, thank you all.

Matt
Old 17-12-2013, 22:24   #7

I own a 44' Brewer Pilothouse recently re rigged as a cutter. Came from a Taiwanese boat yard. Looks to have been built in '89 or '90 but sat up in a warehouse until '99 when it was put into service. 6 ft draft weighing 37,000 lbs. happy to answer any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-887194365.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	72342   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2449712197.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	72343  

crowlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 23:16   #8

Hi Crowlegs,

That's a lovely boat, but very, very different to the one I looked at yesterday. The boat I am met was, as far as I can tell, identical to the Whitby 42 in all but the keel configuration.

Actually, it looks a bit like a Tayana to my untrained eye. Any connection that you are aware of?

Matt
Old 31-08-2014, 05:03   #9

Boat: Cape North 43
Re: Ted Brewer 42 Cape North 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Whitby 42 had quite high free-board and shallow draft so windward work was never its best point of sail, popular though. The Cape North 43 had lower free board and was a much nicer boat, all around and it was pretty to the eye.
Sorry for resurrecting this old post but I have a Cape North 43 I bought in the Philippines almost 2 years ago. The main difference between the Whitby and the Cape North, besides being a foot longer, is the hull shape. The CN43 has the "Brewer Bite" allowing better upwind sailing. The Whitby has a full keel.

I'm always searching around to find a fellow CN43 owner but not much luck.
BriRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 08:43   #10

Re: Ted Brewer 42 Cape North 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriRich View Post
Sorry for resurrecting this old post but I have a Cape North 43 I bought in the Philippines almost 2 years ago. The main difference between the Whitby and the Cape North, besides being a foot longer, is the hull shape. The CN43 has the "Brewer Bite" allowing better upwind sailing. The Whitby has a full keel.

I'm always searching around to find a fellow CN43 owner but not much luck.
Hi,
I just bought a Cape North 43 in Greece.
Very good boat.I would like to have as much info as possible.
Sokrates
Sokrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 22:22   #11

We have also just purchase a Cape North 43 in Australia. We would love to get hold of some plans if anyone know where / how ?
jo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo23 View Post
We have also just purchase a Cape North 43 in Australia. We would love to get hold of some plans if anyone know where / how ?

Is that Just Jane?
Old 03-12-2021, 03:36   #13

Yes it is ��
Old 03-12-2021, 03:52   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ted Brewer's response for his number 2 all-time favorite design: “Black Velvet II” [First iteration of Whitby 42 & Cape North 43]
Sail Far Live Free - Relent to Water Wanderlust!: Question of the Month with Designer Ted Brewer (#2)

Lines Drawing ➥ Sail Far Live Free - Relent to Water Wanderlust!: Question of the Month with Designer Ted Brewer (#2)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:19   #15

Thank you, I have seen that one. There is also another drawing I can find but it is really low resolution