Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:28   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Teak... Surely not the first time

if the rails are not specific f or your boat, you may need steam bending---some boats donot have grab rails in the bend--as is the way mine issert up. if that is cas, premade ones are sufficient.
why you changing them out? are they destroyed??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:40   #62

Boat: Nauticat 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1Krider
Thank you to all for the candid and colorful input. I am about to mount new hand rails. Debating on how to go about curving the rail to match the shape of the boat. Can I just bolt in the first two then start bending and placing bolts or is there prebending that needs to occur before mounting?

Cheers!
Clayton
Good morning Clayton. A few years ago on my C&C Corvette 31 I replaced my grab rails. The new ones were pretty robust and I had no trouble at all getting them to bend to the curvature of the cabin top. The one thing though that I had to be careful with was aligning them perfectly with the interior grab rails as they were interconnected from the inside. As the fasteners are worked from the inside, it is very much a two person job. And it's mighty important to get the teak to deck seal right because once you get them installed you don't want to take them off to fix a leak. Good luck and send photos when done.

Cheers, David
JardiTancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 16:54   #63

Boat: 1978 32' Iona Islander
Zeehag, when I acquired the boat it was missing the rails along the starboard side (among other things). I did some extensive searching, but wasn't able to find a match for the ones left on the port side, so we purchased all new rails.
So I hope to get these mounted this weekend and all the windows put back in too. I'll post pics when it happens

Clayton
Z1Krider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:45   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1Krider View Post
Thank you to all for the candid and colorful input. I am about to mount new hand rails. Debating on how to go about curving the rail to match the shape of the boat. Can I just bolt in the first two then start bending and placing bolts or is there prebending that needs to occur before mounting?

Cheers!
Clayton
I think you'll find teak handrails bendy enough wo force around at will. I hate fiddling with them and would choose SS tube as replacement when ours have had it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:03   #65

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

If you find that they wont take the bend, pre- bend them in a jig for a couple of days. Make a pattern of the bend, transfer to plywood, nail down some 2x4's - whathave you- and clamp the rails to the pattern. Cover with rags, towels etc. soak in hot water for awhile and you've got it. (poor mans steam box)
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:28   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
If you find that they wont take the bend, pre- bend them in a jig for a couple of days. Make a pattern of the bend, transfer to plywood, nail down some 2x4's - whathave you- and clamp the rails to the pattern. Cover with rags, towels etc. soak in hot water for awhile and you've got it. (poor mans steam box)
I predict you won't have any problems because the hand rails are skinny, small cross sections. I was abla to force a bend the hard way on 5/8 thick X 3-1/2 inch wide toe rails of teak. Looked great untill the thing ruptured from end-to-end. Current laws prohibit import of all wood that is not kiln dryed. Once dried, teak cannot be made wet or supple in water soak or steam. Our boat was built in '83 where green teak could be imported. Original rails were 60 feet long & one piece. I had to replace with short, wide sections cut to the curve and interlocked.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 16:33   #67

Boat: 1978 32' Iona Islander
Well, we finally got all the teak re mounted. Minus the bungs being placed. But that's ok, we took Moonglider out for her first sail on Sunday since the middle of March when we sailed her from the haul out to her slip. Full topside rework is coming to an end.

The teak rails bent very easily into place. Had I been a little more patient I may have tried to bow the shorter rails too.
Happy to report a solid 7+ knots in 18-20 knots of wind was made reaching across the bay.

Cheers,
Clayton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2851246514.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	41200  
Z1Krider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 17:34   #68

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Good job Clayton!
Mrs. Rain Dog
Old 29-11-2012, 11:05   #69

Boat: Freedom 35

I have a 47 foot Vagabond with teak decks in Lake Ontario. I use a product called teak guard. It s a little challending to apply the first time but all you need to do to keep it up iswashitand aplly two coats once a year.
ketchdoc is offline   Reply With Quote