Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 16:14   #1

Teak Decks on Hans Christian 33

I'm considering the purchase of a Hans Christian 33 and wondering about the teak decks. I read somewhere that this boat has the teak screwed on from the underside up, rather than from the top down. This might mean that the decks leak less (or not at all) as many deck problems seem to come from the water entering the screw holes from above.

I'm also wondering if any HC33 owners have had serious deck leaks, and how were they repaired.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 17:08   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Teak Decks on Hans Christian 33

Look for bungs in the teak on deck. If there are no bungs, likely no screws through the teak into the deck. Screws from the underside may leak less, since the water has to get past the teak before getting to the screws. Doesn't mean the water won't get past the teak and into the screws, however. Teak decks that are glued, not screwed, are the driest. Teak has a tendency to not glue well, however.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 10:46   #3

Re: Teak Decks on Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a Hans Christian 33 and wondering about the teak decks. I read somewhere that this boat has the teak screwed on from the underside up, rather than from the top down. This might mean that the decks leak less (or not at all) as many deck problems seem to come from the water entering the screw holes from above.

I'm also wondering if any HC33 owners have had serious deck leaks, and how were they repaired.
Depends on how the h33 was constructed. The h38 was a fiberglass deck overlayed with a teak deck. Any sponginess was usually the teak lifting from the underlying deck. Not a structural issue, at least up through 1986. If you got a "screwed from bottom" job, it most likely was sealed by fiberglass mat to seal it. Good luck with that. If "screwed from above" then fairly simple to rip out the screws. You might encounter various stiffeners like ply or balsa in forward areas. They are mostly for backing and preventing a springy deck.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck