Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 18:46   #1

Boat: LeComte NE 38
teak deck removal - change to non-skid fiberglass

I am contemplating purchase of a 1985 cutter that has a teak deck. Would like to hear from anyone that has gone through teak deck removal and re-do of a finished fiberglass deck, either non-skid, or other finish. In my case, I would be seeking a highly experienced boat yard on the east coast to do the work and would love to hear from owner's that have had this work done, approximate costs involved, approximate duration, issues that came up, finish options. One Chesapeake boat yard that looks to be top notch is Hartge Yacht Yard and it would be great to hear from anyone that had major work done there. Also thinking about New England, Bristol Marine, also appears to be a top notch yard. Thanks in advance for any good tips, stories, and advice.
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:06   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: teak deck removal - change to non-skid fiberglass

https://derecktor.com/derecktor-robinhood-maine-marina/
https://www.byy.com/marinas/pilots-p...-westbrook-ct/
https://www.lymanmorse.com
Dutch Wharf Boat Yard & Marina | Marina Branford CT | Boat Refinishing CT | Home
Lots of options.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 19:54   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

What’s the boat? The cost for a yard to do non skid may cost more than the boat. You could have a yard do the removal, patch and fairing then apply a two part topping yourself (if you can paint, you can do this) and save a bit of yard time either way it’s not cheap. You can have it done quicker by dropping the mast and have it done inside but that also comes at a cost, but so does building a shelter.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:40   #4

I have a teak decked boat and have thought about redecking. As I see it, the biggest factors effecting the cost are:

1. How easy will it be to remove the existing decking. The teak itself is easy to remove. The problem is removing all the fittings that go through the deck. ie Stanchions, chain plates, anchor windlass, cleats, winches, sail tracks etc. etc. If the boat is old and the interior is fully finished, getting at the underside of these fittings and undoing the fastenings is not easy (especially those under the cockpit) and may involve tearing the interior apart.

2. Almost as expensive as the removal is reattaching the fittings to your new deck, which is complicated by the circumstance that the new deck will likely be thinner than the old one so some fittings may no longer fit and fasteners will be the wrong length.

3. How much of the core needs to be replaced? The existing deck was likely screwed to the deckcore and there will have been water penetration into the balsa or foam core. Large sections of the core may be rotten and need replacing. These areas aren't apparent with the relatively stiff teak decking over it, but once removed there will be soft spots that need to be replaced. This means you won't know the full cost until the existing deck is removed, unless you budget for an entire core replacement.

4. How big is the boat?? Your description of it as a "cutter" does not give much information. Obviously the bigger the boat, the bigger the bill.

In summary, every boat is different and what other people have paid for their deck replacement is not necessarily what you will pay.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 20:57   #5
cruiser

It’ll probably cost the same as teak replacement on a boat that size, why not simply put it back to original condition and enjoy the superior teak surface?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 21:23   #6

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
teak deck removal - change to non-skid fiberglass

An acquaintance bought a 48’ Robert Perry cutter with teak decks about three years ago. He had a boatyard in Napa, CA. (less expensive than yards in S.F. bay proper) R&R with fiberglass/non-skid. It was around $40,000 total, about half of what he originally paid for the boat. His wife then decided she preferred something more modern and they bought a 50’ Bene. The Perry sat at a broker for a long time listed for about what he had into it. I never asked, but I suspect he did not sell for what he had hoped.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 21:54   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The problem with teak decks fastened in the traditional way is leaks around the 1,000 plus fasteners screwed through the fiberglass deck. Would be a miracle if there weren't leaks and extensive core rot. If that's the case, the boat better be free because it could cost more than a new boat to have a yard do a fix.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 23:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I’ve seen a number of them happen, mostly the teak went back on. Swans mainly.
Osprey has thought about it. I’d add;
Documentation of the entire vessels contents then removing, storing and replacing.
Air chisels for teak removal works good.
A full time clean up person is required
Good templates take time
You can change the deck gear layout, make sure you’ve thought about all that.
There will be extras along the way. Like.. let’s just fix this while we are into it.
A few years ago that task ran $3-5k per linear ft of boat.
Factor in knee replacements for everyone.
Chris
Old 13-02-2019, 01:19   #9

A local experienced boat builder reputedly made a suggestion of glassing directly over the top of the teak without removing it first.

I've no experience of this personally and know nothing about feasibility, cost, effectiveness etc. Just passing it on as an idea that I heard about.

Although I would be interested in any feedback, since my own 33ft yacht has a 30 yr old teak deck in need of having something done. I'd much prefer to not hear the suggestion of just selling it because it's otherwise a lovely boat.
robinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 08:41   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlter View Post
I am contemplating purchase of a 1985 cutter that has a teak deck. Would like to hear from anyone that has gone through teak deck removal and re-do of a finished fiberglass deck, either non-skid, or other finish. In my case, I would be seeking a highly experienced boat yard on the east coast to do the work and would love to hear from owner's that have had this work done, approximate costs involved, approximate duration, issues that came up, finish options. One Chesapeake boat yard that looks to be top notch is Hartge Yacht Yard and it would be great to hear from anyone that had major work done there. Also thinking about New England, Bristol Marine, also appears to be a top notch yard. Thanks in advance for any good tips, stories, and advice.
I have read about a number of teak deck replacements done by the owners...yours is the first I have heard of by someone paying a marina to do it usually because the cost is very high. I take that back, I do remember reading about a guy that sailed to the Fareast and had it done there where labor is cheaper. It is a very big job that others have posted about. There has to be something about this boat you can't live without to pay others to get it done otherwise find another boat.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 09:11   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I believe you can usually find that same boat without teak decks.
Old 13-02-2019, 09:30   #12

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinco View Post
A local experienced boat builder reputedly made a suggestion of glassing directly over the top of the teak without removing it first.
That would add so much extra weight I doubt you'd be happy. This is a huge job that materials wise is not a big deal, labor wise on the other hand is where you run into the big bucks.

I had an old Taiwanese leaky teaky. Previous owners never maintained the decks, the caulking or the bungs. Below the teak was a beautiful fiberglass job over marine plywood. Well, over 1000 screws going through the fiberglass ensured the plywood was rotted out. In that case I had to remove everything and rebuild. Love teak decks, now I have a plastic boat and could not be happier.

There are some boatyards that know how to vacuum bag teak decks down. No screws. If you're going to put teak back down then I suggest you find an experienced yard who can do this.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 12:49   #13

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I crewed on a Celestial 48 ketch last summer that had replaced the original teak deck with decking made of cork. Strips and black caulking, in sheet form. At a distance it was hard to tell it wasn’t real teak. Very grippy, cool and soft on bare feet. It was a few years old and it looked good.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:01   #14

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlter View Post
We completely removed our teak deck 20 years ago on our 1979 Formosa-built cutter. Very happy with our new deck and absolutely no leaks and no soft spots.

We removed the teak. Removed all the 1,000 little screws. Sanded to clean away all the mastic. Filled every screw hole with epoxy. Put down 5 layers of 17 oz bi-axial fiberglass cloth. (2 layers is enough. Our deck is hull-strength.) We used West System epoxy and sanded between every layer. Then faired the new deck with epoxy paste. Painted with a primer, then a one-part polyurethane paint, and then a paint-on non skid.

(I hired the 3 best shipwrights recommended in our area, one at a time. After 3 months of waiting and no work done, I cancelled and hired another. The third person was offered $5,000 just to remove the teak and he never showed up to do it.)
During a 2-week vacation, my wife and I did the whole job. I had a roll of 12" wide fiberglass cloth. I would cut off a piece about 24 to 30 inches long and mix about 1 cup of epoxy in a paper cup. We overlapped the fiberglass pieces and then did multiple layers. Mixing only 1 cup of epoxy at a time worked just right. I used about 7 gallons of epoxy. The new deck weighs less than the teak, and is very solid and strong.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:08   #15

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

It was 20 years ago. But the entire job cost us about $2,000.

BTW: I am MUCH happier without the teak deck.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, fiberglass, removal, teak, teak deck