Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2019, 13:09   #16

Re: teak deck removal - change to non-skid fiberglass

Teak deck removal and replacement is very labor intensive. VERY.

If the original teak was bonded by use of screws instead of polymer adhesive then as others have noted there will be a thousand holes in the underlying fiberglass cored decking with each hole being a potential entry point for water infiltration into the core material and associated potential for rotting and delamination of the fiberglass which structural repairs involves very significant effort to cut out and replace.

Once the substrate of the deck has been repaired and faired smooth then one has the option to replace with new teak [very expensive e.g., $150 square foot] , or another decking material which are significantly less expensive than teak, e.g., synthetic or cork look alike, or to just go with your basic non teak, non-skid surfaces.

Assuming one is looking at a 40 to 45 foot boat, $40,000 to $50,000 could be a ball park guessestimate for initial budgeting. But then one doesn't really know what one will discover until the old teak is first removed, [laboriously removed] and costs could increase significantly if there are substantial structural repairs issues to the decking.

And as others have indicated there are a lot of fittings to remove and reinstall and each of those can be a chore of their own making or require replacing.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:17   #17

Link to the first of a lengthy series of 16 youtube videos showing the scope of a teak deck replacement project as performed by the yacht owner.

Old 13-02-2019, 13:32   #18

Boat: Taswell 43

We sail a 1989 Taswell 43...with a teak deck. When it got so thin I could not get an epoxied bung to stay in place (previous owner sanded it every week to look "bristol"!), something needed to be done. After looking at all the available options (fake teak) we opted to remove and put down a sanded non-skid deck. Once done---I hated it! And the boat did not look right, and the less-than-perfect deck prep really showed! When we got to Phuket, I sought out a very reputable contractor for a quote to redo the sanded deck, and a quote for a new teak deck. The teak option was CHEAPER! We agreed, and now, some 8 years later we are (still) totally pleased. We chose the thickness, and the plank width, and they glued everything down----NO Screws used! But the earlier comment regarding removing ALL the deck attachments and then reinstalling them is exactly correct----it's a big, messy, hard job. Our teak is not slippery, offers good traction, offers a smooth deck, and looks good. We're in the tropics, so once/yr we wash w/soap, and recoat with Semco Natural. The deck looks like it went on yesterday. For our boat---the only option!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:35   #19

The only course of action that makes sense dollar wise to me is to do the teak and deck fitting removal and any subsequent core replacement yourself and hire a pro to do the painting. Then you re-install deck hardware Even that's likely to cost perhaps $100 square foot. (A 35' boat = 275+/- , a forty footer maybe 375, forty-five 500 etc.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 13:39   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

A Taswell 43 next to me in Marina de La Paz BCS Mexico had his teak deck replaced with non skid. I think he said it cost him $15,000. Looked beautiful.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 14:05   #21

Old 13-02-2019, 14:22   #22

Boat: Victoire 1270

We just removed the teak decking from my BF's boat (42 ft). Took us about a workweek with the both of us. Saved ourselves a boatload of money by doing all the work ourselves ...

Now we're waiting for spring to arrive so we can rebuild and paint

syPhilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 16:05   #23

I removed the teak on my deck (Duncanson 35 - looks like S&S 34). We removed all fittings except mast fixtures; it was teak screwed over a fibreglass substrate and left about 1000 holes. We broke the teak off and removed all screws and black sealant then filled the holes with epoxy. To avoid removing the mast I removed the shrouds one by one to clean under the boots. I paid a shipwright to lay two layers of glass. Fairing and painting was tedious but not difficult. All fittings were replaced with the help of friends who held the spanner inside while I worked outside. The final non-slip is a tough water based architectural coating (thick paint). It has lasted 10 years with no leaks or signs of wear.
Ard Righ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 16:26   #24

I removed them from a Hans Christian. It is a big job. The removal isn't the big part. The clean up and painting is. The black goo was very embedded in the deck. We could find no water in the holes left from screws, so we countersunk the holes and filled with Epoxy. Ground that flush. The problem is if the teak goes right up to the cabin trunk or etc you are in for repainting deck and trunk.. and that's expensive. Due to time and the black goo on the decks I decided to use Treadmaster. So I had the Deck & House painted. Then layed down the Treadmaster in round cornered rectangles. It came out very nice. Fortunately I did it in Trinidad and the painting etc was not so expensive. I did the Treadmaster myself.
If I had it to do over again I would have just rebuilt the teak deck. New caulk and sanded it down some. The reality I learned is on that boat it didnt really even need the screws, we had to break it up into bits to get it off with the screws out! So If I had to leave a few screws out after sanding the deck thinner to restore it, it wouldn't have mattered.
But we didn't know that going in.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 16:33   #25

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We sail a 1989 Taswell 43...with a teak deck. When it got so thin I could not get an epoxied bung to stay in place (previous owner sanded it every week to look "bristol"!), something needed to be done. After looking at all the available options (fake teak) we opted to remove and put down a sanded non-skid deck. Once done---I hated it! And the boat did not look right, and the less-than-perfect deck prep really showed! When we got to Phuket, I sought out a very reputable contractor for a quote to redo the sanded deck, and a quote for a new teak deck. The teak option was CHEAPER! We agreed, and now, some 8 years later we are (still) totally pleased. We chose the thickness, and the plank width, and they glued everything down----NO Screws used! But the earlier comment regarding removing ALL the deck attachments and then reinstalling them is exactly correct----it's a big, messy, hard job. Our teak is not slippery, offers good traction, offers a smooth deck, and looks good. We're in the tropics, so once/yr we wash w/soap, and recoat with Semco Natural. The deck looks like it went on yesterday. For our boat---the only option!
Agreed - our teak is 8 years old this year, and still looks like a new deck, thanks to Semco 'Natural Tone'. We spend a couple of hours each season, re-coating it (50' mono). Also, so much easier to maintain. The teak does not show the dust and dirt that seems to accumulate daily in some places - especially after rain. We just give it a hose off once a week generally.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 16:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinco View Post
A local experienced boat builder reputedly made a suggestion of glassing directly over the top of the teak without removing it first.

I've no experience of this personally and know nothing about feasibility, cost, effectiveness etc. Just passing it on as an idea that I heard about.

Although I would be interested in any feedback, since my own 33ft yacht has a 30 yr old teak deck in need of having something done. I'd much prefer to not hear the suggestion of just selling it because it's otherwise a lovely boat.

You must be kidding.

I would run as quick as I could from that “expearanced boatbuilder”

Trying to glass on teak would not bond very well.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 17:01   #27

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
What a beautiful job. Wonder what that cost. Just hope the owner protects the new teak, and doesn't let it weather away.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:26   #28

How big was the boat?
Polkafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:17   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I removed them from a Hans Christian. It is a big job. The removal isn't the big part. The clean up and painting is. The black goo was very embedded in the deck. We could find no water in the holes left from screws, so we countersunk the holes and filled with Epoxy. Ground that flush. The problem is if the teak goes right up to the cabin trunk or etc you are in for repainting deck and trunk.. and that's expensive. Due to time and the black goo on the decks I decided to use Treadmaster. So I had the Deck & House painted. Then layed down the Treadmaster in round cornered rectangles. It came out very nice. Fortunately I did it in Trinidad and the painting etc was not so expensive. I did the Treadmaster myself.
If I had it to do over again I would have just rebuilt the teak deck. New caulk and sanded it down some. The reality I learned is on that boat it didnt really even need the screws, we had to break it up into bits to get it off with the screws out! So If I had to leave a few screws out after sanding the deck thinner to restore it, it wouldn't have mattered.
But we didn't know that going in.
Good to hear of your experience. I have a HC41T, 1986 that I will need to do something about the teak decks eventually.
Old 23-02-2019, 04:20   #30

Boat: LeComte NE 38

Thank you all for the replies and stories about teak deck replacement. I am not rushing to buy this particular boat and as someone noted, there are other boats of the same model available with original fiberglass decks so I may wait to see what else comes on the market on the east coast in sailing range to my Northeast location. There was a beautiful very good condition model in California asking 149k that sold for 130k and this is in my price range. I am not in a rush (hope to find the right boat within the next 5 - 6 months on the east coast and not be faced with an immediate 40 - 45k deck project so I'll wait, keep looking and be ready to buy when a similar model comes along that someone else has poured big money into. Everyone says buy a boat that has already been "fixed-up" because you end up paying a fraction of the repair costs and if you buy a project boat, it always costs more and takes longer than expected. I guess it is like a project house - I know about this reality for homes and buildings as I am an architect with many years of experience designing and managing renovations and new buildings. There are many features of this particular boat that I really do like but a few big factors than I probably should be hearing the music about that say move on.
Thanks again and I do not have the time to do the job myself and great to hear about those folks that found outside labor unreliable and ended up doing it themselves with a great success. Congrats!!!

My search goes forward ...
PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, fiberglass, removal, teak, teak deck