Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 05:53   #1

Teak deck removal

How much would it cost to remove a teak deck from an aluminium sailboat of 43 foot and seal the screw holes and paint nonskid in a boat yard in mallorca.. or mainland Spain. Not having much luck getting replies from the boatyards out there. So im trying to figure it out from home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200608-WA0004.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	218736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200608-WA0005.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	218737  

Dphibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:37   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Teak deck removal

They're not going to be able to give you even an estimate until they see the job. There are too many variables - adhesive/caulking used, for example.

I can see your need - it's a mess.

Then there is the issue of the rest of the wood around the dodger. Is it going to look right when the deck reverts to aluminum, and can it be salvaged? What about the edging around those hatches?

I'm inclined to suspect that this job is going to be more than strip/caulk/paint. It looks more like a "project."
Old 06-07-2020, 02:24   #3

I too can only imagine the amount of work involved. And it is a project for sure. I am trying to get my head around it but the boatyards wont reply. Its moored in Spain like i said. I have done some research into it so i can possibly do the work myself. For example if aluminium screws were used they say we can air chisel the teak off and seal it ( can't remember the name for the sealant) or alternatively use a drill and fill method with aluminium based epoxy and paint over with non skid. So far thats all i can seem to find

It depends how bad it really is. The pictures look quite bad and i can't imagine any of the teak being salvageable so its going to be a huge job. If i could get rough estimates it would help but for now its all guess work.

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-07-2020, 03:39   #4

Do you own this boat? Or are you looking to deliberately purchase a project boat?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Do you own this boat? Or are you looking to deliberately purchase a project boat?

LittleWing77
Hello. Yes we are purchasing her as a project boat. It is not ideal that she is abroad but doable. My problem is the aluminium i have never had to work with it so that much is new to me. Hence the quote for it to be done professionally. If i have to do it myself im sure i can but the comfort in knowing it has been done right sits better with me
Old 06-07-2020, 04:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Taking on a project boat means devoting the time to both do the work and learn how to do the work, because paying professionals to do it will soon cost more than the boat is worth. If you can find guidance as to how to remove this teak and how to refinish the boat in plain aluminum, then ask yourself whether you are ready to take on the tasks. Recognize that the job will take several times the time budgeted in the beginning, and several times the expense, even with the labor being your time. Save the professionals either for specialty jobs that need another level of skill (I got the outer seams of my boat professionally welded), or as advisors in a DIY yard. I did get to know one airline pilot who could either fly to pay the professionals or do the work, even trade, but he gave up on the project after three years.

Just looking at the outside of this boat suggests that you have more projects ahead of you than removing the teak. How about listing all the jobs, and thinking though cost and time for each?

Are you ready to give up cruising for a long time? Would you be better off with a lesser boat that is ready to sail? Would it be better to budget how much the project will cost and finance a similar boat that is ready to sail?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:19   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

In your other thread about possibly purchasing this boat, either you didn't indicate or maybe I just missed it was so far away from where you lived.
While the job is doable, wouldn't think I'd want a yard to do it since it will be very expensive. Also would need to pick a yard w/extensive experience working on aluminum, otherwise if you aren't there who knows how the job will turn out.
If you did the deck yourself (and another person even better) it could take a couple of months (full time work). While fixing a boat is a constant thing, if the deck is the major problem, you could be sailing sooner than later.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:21   #8

I absolutely agree. I am ready to take the project on and have done the research needed to get the project going. As i said the aluminium will be new to me but it is something i am willing to undertake if needs be. As for the rest of the work i should be able to (diy) with help from friends and family too who are a bit more knowledgeable. I have been considering this project for almost 3 years now and some boats have come and gone for not being the right fit or well beyond our skill level. Once the survey is complete it will be our deciding factor for this vessel. But i do appreciate the amount of work and time needed and we are willing to put it in for the right boat.

I have also been estimating through our project list for (diy) work but also getting quotes on professional work to understand the cost involved. Its the 20 thousand plus holes under the teak that worry me as for a welder to do it i imagine were taking 10s of thousands. Other carpentry work wont be a problem neither will mechanical, paint/epoxy work.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:54   #9

Is the boat seaworthy ? (apart from the deck) if you could get it over to Portugal, I have been told by a guy who has a cat there that maintenance / labour work is cheaper than mainland Spain, which in turn is cheaper than the islands. (He is Spanish)
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:21   #10

So just an update on this teak deck matter. I have finally had some response in regards to quotes, but by far the the best price i have received is €11800 to remove the teak and sandblast and paint the deck and cover with non skid. That was out of almerimar Spain. Just an estimated price €45m2 to remove the deck €200m2 to blast and paint. 40m2 of deck.. although i feel like after talking to a lot of people over here and with my local boat yard along with people online i might be able to DIY my way through it. It would be to air chissle the deck off and sand blast the deck down to clean. Epoxy coat then paint ( only if there are aluminium screws in place) make new hatch frames etc.

If i am lucky enough to have aluminium screws used to secure the deck in place then it will be pretty straight forward as there will be no welding involved. Well there will be some but enough that its affordable. ( not 20k plus holes��)

I really appreciate all of youre replies.
Thank you
Old 10-07-2020, 05:48   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

The air chisel is tempting, but be careful with such a power tool as you could do some damage and not know it until it's too late. Your tool choices will become evident one you get started on the project.

The biggest job in the project will be removal of the old teak. It's not a race to see how fast you can get it done (although on the other hand you don't want it to linger either). Being thorough is important to find/fill all the old screw holes. If you can remove most of the screws before attempting to lift off the teak it may be helpful. (another wait and see)

It will be a decent amount of work and expect some corrosion/fairing to make it look good in areas where gloss paint will be placed.
Would not use teak or wood for the new frames to lift the hatches off the deck. Aluminum or a composite material would be much better than wood and save you headaches in the future.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:46   #12

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I find that if you use a bung cutter to cut the teak around the screw you can remove the boards easily if they aren't glued down.

On a side note, how thick are the boards? Honestly the deck doesn't look too bad, just needs a good clean, new bungs and new caulk. Why remove it? Is the deck leaking? Is it comprised?

It's sad to see people completely give up on their teak when realistically it isn't at the end of it's life. If it isn't too thin and you need to just reseal it, salvage it. These old growth teak boards come from trees that are 150-500 years old, and from forests that no longer exist. Give the decks one last life if you can.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, removal, teak, teak deck