Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 02:45   #1

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Teak Caulking

Hi all while unemployed due to covid I have started refitting my yacht. I am stripping the teak deck caulking atm over 10 mm of teak left . I have ordered teak deck systems caulking. Im at the stage where should I sand the deck first then caulk & sand again to remove the caulk or just do the caulk then sand . The videos I watched they sanded the deck first but they had nice flat deck on the fly bridge of a motor boat . My deck is curved both ways .
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 03:33   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Teak Caulking

I would try to minimize sanding your teak as it is easy to remove a substantial amount.

Mask the seams with tape before applying the caulk. Masking the seams on a rough surface is tough however and the caulk can bleed under the tape making the seam somewhat less than crisp. All things are a trade off but a caution on the sanding.

Also, put the 3M bond breaker tape in the bottom of the channels. This removes the 2D stress converting it to a 1D stress. The caulk will be better at not peeling away from the sides of the channel during expansion and contraction over the diurnal cycle.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 04:14   #3

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Teak Caulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I would try to minimize sanding your teak as it is easy to remove a substantial amount.

Mask the seams with tape before applying the caulk. Masking the seams on a rough surface is tough however and the caulk can bleed under the tape making the seam somewhat less than crisp. All things are a trade off but a caution on the sanding.

Also, put the 3M bond breaker tape in the bottom of the channels. This removes the 2D stress converting it to a 1D stress. The caulk will be better at not peeling away from the sides of the channel during expansion and contraction over the diurnal cycle.
I was going to tape up but I watched a video on UTube where a ship wright was saying the teak deck systems caulking sands off so easy its not worth the time & trouble to tape up. I have the bond breaker tape but I have found that when the teak was put down the used epoxy glue as well as screwing it down . In many places the epoxy is almost filling the gap between the teak & only a small amount of caulk is covering the epoxy so very difficult to use the tape effectively. I have only raked the caulk out of the first 6 ft from the bow it may get better as I get into the main deck .
Mike
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak