Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you speak teak?
No. Replace it. 5 23.81%
Yes. I'm a teak freak. 8 38.10%
Who are you and how did you get this number? 4 19.05%
I don't understand the question 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 16:01   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Teak.

The only wood on my boat is in the interior.
Old 28-04-2021, 16:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Love my teak interior. Hate the teak rub rail and toe rail.

Look at boats with beautiful teak decks, varnished rails and such and think either the owner has way more money that I to pay for it or they have way more time than I do to DIY or they're just a masochist.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 19:06   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

The only way to have more wood on a boat that mine is to have a wood boat . Teak decks, teak rails, teak cockpit and everything down below is solid teak. I bet if I sold all the teak on my boat separately it would fetch a higher price than my entire boat .

I didn't buy the boat for the teak, but I do love the warmth, the look and feel, and the function. Teak decks are the best non-skid around. But yes, they have their drawbacks. Especially the old style screw-in type (guilt ).

People constantly complain about the amount of work it takes to have teak. I guess it depends on how persnickety one is. I view my boat as a floating home, not a work of art. So I'm not very fussy about making the teak look museum-perfect. My aim is to keep it protected and functional, so I slap on a few coats of varnish as needed. It doesn't take long, and I'm not all that anal about the type, brand or even how perfect it goes on. It only takes a few hours every year.

Teak decks need almost no effort for their general maintenance. Try to keep the grit off, and throw a couple buckets of salt water over them if they haven't been self-washed in a rolling sea in a while. No varnish or oil ever touches them. They remain beautiful bone beigeish.

Down below we have beautiful teak cabinets, rails, doors, hatches berths, and even the compression post. It's richly finished with a lovely deep varnish. I've owned the boat for a decade now and have had to do exactly zero maintenance to the finish down below. Only now am I contemplating touching up a few high-touch areas. I might get around to it in the next few years.

So in short, I think a lot of people have this perception that teak is hard to maintain, and takes a lot of time and effort. If you are maintaining a work of art, then I suppose it could. But if you are keeping it safe, and aesthetically pleasing, then it's really not a lot of effort -- not compared to a lot of other boat chores.
Old 28-04-2021, 20:11   #19

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The only way to have more wood on a boat that mine is to have a wood boat . Teak decks, teak rails, teak cockpit and everything down below is solid teak. I bet if I sold all the teak on my boat separately it would fetch a higher price than my entire boat .

I didn't buy the boat for the teak, but I do love the warmth, the look and feel, and the function. Teak decks are the best non-skid around. But yes, they have their drawbacks. Especially the old style screw-in type (guilt ).

People constantly complain about the amount of work it takes to have teak. I guess it depends on how persnickety one is. I view my boat as a floating home, not a work of art. So I'm not very fussy about making the teak look museum-perfect. My aim is to keep it protected and functional, so I slap on a few coats of varnish as needed. It doesn't take long, and I'm not all that anal about the type, brand or even how perfect it goes on. It only takes a few hours every year.

Teak decks need almost no effort for their general maintenance. Try to keep the grit off, and throw a couple buckets of salt water over them if they haven't been self-washed in a rolling sea in a while. No varnish or oil ever touches them. They remain beautiful bone beigeish.

Down below we have beautiful teak cabinets, rails, doors, hatches berths, and even the compression post. It's richly finished with a lovely deep varnish. I've owned the boat for a decade now and have had to do exactly zero maintenance to the finish down below. Only now am I contemplating touching up a few high-touch areas. I might get around to it in the next few years.

So in short, I think a lot of people have this perception that teak is hard to maintain, and takes a lot of time and effort. If you are maintaining a work of art, then I suppose it could. But if you are keeping it safe, and aesthetically pleasing, then it's really not a lot of effort -- not compared to a lot of other boat chores.
Mike, can you share a photo of your fantastic Rafiki with the teak?

Meanwhile, for the rest of you, what do you think of Fake Teak (pictured, from the Feb. 2021 Sailing Today magazine)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	237447  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 20:32   #20

Boat: Colegate 26

A wise old boater friend of mine told me that if I absolutely feel the need to have teak on my boat I should get a nice small piece, put it in a ziplock bag, place it in a drawer, and leave it there. If I ever wanted to experience teak just open the draw, pull out the bag, open it up, and gently caress that piece of teak.

Then carefully put it back in the bag, into the drawer, and close it up.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 20:49   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Well gee, Mike,

Unless you're hiding it well I don't think you are filthy, stinking rich and you certainly don't sound like a masochist so I guess you just have more time to work on the boat than I do.

Or maybe it's just that your boat is in better shape than and doesn't take as much repair and maintenance so you have time do do the teak.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 21:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have a Macintosh 47. They built 16 of them. One of the company owners was a former yard manager for Hans Christian. Rumor is that when they were spec'ing the Macintosh, he said "I don't care, but there will be no teak topside". The only teak our boat had/has is a small triangle around the windlass, and the cockpit table. So, we just bitch about stainless.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 04:51   #23

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

I agree that interior teak is very low maintenance. All of mine has soaked up enough oil in its life that I can now spend an hour walking around the boat once a year to oil it all, then it's good until next year. The teak floors in the galley and heads are coated with Cetol and go many years without needing any attention at all.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 04:59   #24

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I may be in the extreme minority here, but I hate real teak on boats. To me, it looks great for a bit and then starts to look terrible. It sounds like it's a royal PITA to maintain too. When I do buy my boat it will be Flexiteek for me.
2nd this opinion. It looks great but I don't want it because:

- expense
- weight
- maintenance
- eventual replacement costs/lower resale value

We have synthetic teak in our cockpit.
Old 29-04-2021, 05:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Funny... I don't really have a lot of pics featuring the teak. It's always incidental. Here are a few shots. As you can see, it's far from pristine, which is my point Skip. I'm not very persnickety about how it looks, only that it remains protected (and I'm not always very good on that either ).

If you want it to be perfect all the time, then it takes a lot of effort. If you're aiming for protection and "good enough", then it's not that much effort.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGA0731.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	237454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0648.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	237455  

Name:	IMGA0451.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	237456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 07.17.41 .jpg
Views:	140
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	237457  

Name:	IMG_1845.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	237458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7054.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	237459  

Old 29-04-2021, 05:09   #26

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:

Meanwhile, for the rest of you, what do you think of Fake Teak (pictured, from the Feb. 2021 Sailing Today magazine)?
We have that same "fake teak". It's great!

In the pic it's damp so a bit darker than when dry

EDIT: I'll add that it really *feels* like real wood when touching it and walking on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 15.05.18.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	237460  
Old 29-04-2021, 06:16   #27

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Teak.

Moonbeam. Deck is fake all else is real.
Mahogany below.
Except the teak and holly sole.
Glass hull, wood/glass deck.

Name:	5463752_20151205064823573_1_xlarge.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	237465Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	237466Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	237467
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 06:20   #28

I should point out that my deck handrails and boomkin were changed from teak to stainless steel by a previous owner. So I don't have those to deal with.
Old 29-04-2021, 15:54   #29

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
A wise old boater friend of mine told me that if I absolutely feel the need to have teak on my boat I should get a nice small piece, put it in a ziplock bag, place it in a drawer, and leave it there. If I ever wanted to experience teak just open the draw, pull out the bag, open it up, and gently caress that piece of teak.

Then carefully put it back in the bag, into the drawer, and close it up.
This is great.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 15:59   #30

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
This is great.

That is great. I do that with a spool of tarred marline.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak