Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 12:48   #16

Re: Tayana Flying Dutchman 50 comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Yes I did buy one and it is a fine boat
PM me and we can exchange the research info I did via email
Hi Hoghead,

I am also interested in an FD-12 and am headed to FL this week to look at one. I have looked at several in the past as well as read the Practical Sailor review. I am interested in hearing from an owner about their experiences if you are willing to share....

Thanks,
Brett
tausap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 13:18   #17

Just some general comments on early Taiwan boats:
-Many of the decks were cored with cheap plywood that rots fast with any water intrusion.
- Checks tanks and how easy they can be replaced and if furniture is built over them for removal. Consider any tank below the floorboards as bad until proven otherwise.
-Generally what the Taiwan yards lacked in knowledge they made up for in hull thickness. They are usually really robust hulls.
-Make sure cabin and cockpit etc aren't just glassed over plywood, but rather a molded glass deck/cabin. Some early boats were ply with light glass over. These are often rotted, and are not structurally sound. (Seatiger, Seawolf, Cheoy Lee)
-The glass work to bond bulkheads and cabinetry may be just chopper gun work. Not great but may be OK.
-Many of the later boats in the 80's went to balsa core or better plywood. Some higher end boats used plywood squares maybe 3" x 3" to prevent any water intrusion from spreading. Passport and Hans Christian being a couple that did this.

'll have to figure out how much of this applies to the FD12. The tanks applies to all.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:08   #18

Boat: Slocum 43

Hi Tim,

Just curious with how you got on with that FD 12. I am looking at one here in Australia. Wondering if you could give me any feedback?
the dude abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 21:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just some general comments on early Taiwan boats:
-Many of the decks were cored with cheap plywood that rots fast with any water intrusion.
- Checks tanks and how easy they can be replaced and if furniture is built over them for removal. Consider any tank below the floorboards as bad until proven otherwise.
-Generally what the Taiwan yards lacked in knowledge they made up for in hull thickness. They are usually really robust hulls.
-Make sure cabin and cockpit etc aren't just glassed over plywood, but rather a molded glass deck/cabin. Some early boats were ply with light glass over. These are often rotted, and are not structurally sound. (Seatiger, Seawolf, Cheoy Lee)
-The glass work to bond bulkheads and cabinetry may be just chopper gun work. Not great but may be OK.
-Many of the later boats in the 80's went to balsa core or better plywood. Some higher end boats used plywood squares maybe 3" x 3" to prevent any water intrusion from spreading. Passport and Hans Christian being a couple that did this.

'll have to figure out how much of this applies to the FD12. The tanks applies to all.
I just removed my Flying Dutchman teak decks and repaired the underlying core rot. To my surprise the core was 2 x 10mm layers of plywood squares.
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 15:59   #20

Hi Folks,

I grew up on and sailed extensively on an FD12. My Dad bought one and it was an amazing boat. He recently retired and lately had some health issues that are keeping him from cruising further. He just finished completely renovating it. And I mean total gut renovation. This is a NEW boat now. He did a beautiful job.

But interested or not in buying I am happy to connect you with my father who would be happy to tell you more about the boat. We actually met the architect and builder years ago. So my father is very knowledgeable.

Best,
Kevin Coffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Hello Hoghead,

I am interested in a FD 12 that has come on the market and would be really interested I hearing what you found out. Did you buy one? Even if you didn't what did you learn for your research?

It looks like a pretty solid boa, I would be very interested to learn how she sails.

Thanks,

Tim
kevincoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 04:56   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 05:02   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Friends sailed one from East Coast US to NZ. Perhaps boat is now in OZ had been in Wellington.

OVerall, a typical Taiwanese heavy displacement cruiser. Not being designed by Perry or Garden is the only think that really sets it apart. Personally prefer it to something like the Formosa 50, but personally would look for a more modern design.

Tags
men