Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 12:14   #1

Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

Curious as to any good information on the Tayana 42 CC Vancouver from the late 80s (1987). We are considering one, possibly
BytheNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 14:06   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

Very cool double ender. The aft stateroom is really nice in the CC. Sailed on one with a couple in NC. Very sweet boat.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 15:52   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

While mine is an aft cockpit model from 1989, a friend had a center cockpit Tayana 42 of about the same vintage as the one you are asking about. It was a very good boat. Good aft stateroom though somewhat smaller but still very usable and comfortable saloon. Same good tankage for fuel and water.

The Tayana 42 sails very well. She is surprisingly fast, steady, dry and safe. Mine motors well with the standard Yanmar 4JHE 44 hp engine and max prop. The cutter rig with staysail on a boom is a delight, but it does interfere with putting a dinghy on the foredeck.

Of course with a boat that is more than 25 years old you need to investigate the condition of decks, deck core, tanks (particularly black iron fuel tanks), and all other systems. Overall the quality of the original build, design, materials, and components was very high. How that boat was maintained and upgraded is your concern.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:00   #4

S/V B'Shert since you have direct knowledge of the boat. Is there anything in particular you do not like?
BytheNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:17   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Friends had one in the early 90's. Sailed beautifully and fast. I love this boat.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:09   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Nice boats. I have a friend in Mexico who has one and it is a very good boat. Lots of storage. Lovely interiors. Functional layouts below and on deck. And I love center cockpits in general. Very nice in a seaway. I almost bought one and still have some regret that I didn't pursue it. It was in La Paz and right when all the problems with the tax authorities impounding boats, etc. Plus just the logistics of checking out and buying a boat from here in WA state to there. The broker wanted a deposit to hold it before I even got there, which I guess is reasonable but it put me off. Check with the owners group. And there are lots of reviews here and there on them.

And, easy to double-hand. Sail well. Heavy and stout.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 19:15   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytheNumbers View Post
S/V B'Shert since you have direct knowledge of the boat. Is there anything in particular you do not like?

Every boat is full of compromises. I already mentioned that the great cutter rig limits the space on the foredeck.

The windlass is in a well which keeps it protected but makes a shallow angle for the chain to wrap on the gypsy.

Like many boats the tanks were installed before the interior was built. Removal of a fuel tank if a leak should develop is very problematic. We had a pinhole leak in our starboard black iron fuel tank and solved it by putting a custom made soft tank inside the existing tank.

One of the real pluses of Tayana yachts is that they are still in business and their support is excellent.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:32   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42 CC

BTN,
We own a 1987 Tayana 42 CC.
I sat here for a long time trying to think of shortcomings of this boat. Not that it is perfect, but realizing this is all subjective and we typically see what we want to see. For us the Tayana 42 CC is a good fit.
B'Shert is exactly right about the windlass and the tanks. The previous owner of our boat moved the windlass out of the locker and on to the foredeck. This solves the angle of approach concern for the chain, but at a cost of losing deck space. I wouldn't say it's ugly sitting there, but I will be looking for a cover to put on it. A Magnum BBQ grill cover would work great and would stimulate some dock conversation.
Engine access is often a problem in sailboats and the Tayana is no exception. The doghouse under the companion way can be pulled to access the front of the engine. There is an access panel in the aft head shower stall. And access to the rear of the engine and shaft, from the aft cabin...but if you go in here you might never get out!
The center cockpit is somewhat tight for both a helmsman and a line handler. The winches and the helm occupy the same space, so when I'm working the headsail sheets, I am usually outside of the cockpit so as to not run over my wife, at the helm. I think an aft cockpit offers more room, in this regard, because the winches are usually set forward of the helm more.
The bed in the aft cabin is athwartships, which is nice. But it is a weird shape = custom sheets. And it is a bear to make. I am 5-10 and have enough room, but taller people might run out of room.
The cutter rig is a challenge to tack. You can drag the headsail through the slot, but that is sure hard on it. I learned a technique where we fall off the wind so that the main shadows the head sail, and reduces the pressure. I can then easily furl the headsail, in a calm manner, and make our tack. This is a cruising method of tacking, but it is consistent with the laid back, open ocean question: do we tack today, or wait until tomorrow?.
Well, that's a few of the things I struggled to come up with. We are still fairly new to the boat, so our delights still far outweigh our gripes. A trend I hope continues.
CrossWays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit