Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 06:58   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Tayana 37 v Corbin 39

Hello all,

As I'm narrowing the short list for my next boat, I've been looking seriously at the Corbin 39 and the Tayana 37. There are other boats I like too and I will consider everything that's on the market, but the C39 and T37 seem to be readily available and it may well come down to a choice between the two. Despite a similar length, age, sail plan, draft and displacement they are very different boats.

Some differences: The Corbin is likely to have a pilothouse while the Tayana is usually an open aft cockpit. The C39 has a flush deck while the T37 has a trunk cabin. The T37 has a modified full keel while the Corbin has an encapsulated fin. The Tayana's prop is enclosed in an aperture while the Corbin's prop is not. Let's assume that both boats have been similarly well maintained and equipped, are priced about the same, and that the Tayana has a fiberglass deck.

I plan on sailing this boat mainly in New York, New England and the Canadian Maritimes for the foreseeable future, with ocean crossings to follow later on. Both of these boats would be capable of what I'm planning, and many of these differences come down to personal preference. So rather than go on and on about my own criteria and tastes, I'm really interested in which of these two boats you would prefer and why? Thanks in advance for any input!

Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Tayana 37 v Corbin 39

Can't comment on the Corbin, but I have owned and cruised a T37 for several years. Good things: the modified full-keel has less of a negative effect in light airs than you might imagine. The Tayana has a tall rig and with a bit of tweaking, you will do surprising well in winds in the single digits. She's a very solid boat and does well in a blow. Bad points: there are a few construction issues: mainly chainplates are poorly designed and should be replaced and bolted through the hull. Not a huge job, but something to think about. Very small cockpit, as befit the thinking at that time about minimizing the water in in case the boat is pooped. There are a few Pilothouse T37s, but they are difficult to find and you, of course, you pay a premium to get one.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35   #3

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

You may know this already, but many of the Corbins were owner finished; The results can vary widely.

The woodwork in the T37 is a thing of beauty. But as previously mentioned there are some flaws.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:32   #4

Boat: Paceship 29

The Corbin 39s are dogs. A kit boat with a saildrive. Run away.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:51   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
The Corbin 39s are dogs. A kit boat with a saildrive. Run away.
Untrue! Corbin's are Water boats">Blue water boats and do need a bit of wind to get going! But their more modern underbody will help them make more miles and in close quarters. The pilot house is fantastic good place to pilot from when its snotty out! True that a lot were owner finished, but like with every boat, it can be no worse than some of the "owner mods" I've seen over the years.

Nothing wrong with a sail drives, the majority of production boats have them now. just another piece of gear to closely examine before purchase!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:07   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Saw a Tayana pilothouse once and was very impressed. Has a very small cockpit which one might view positively or negatively depending on your perspective.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

A friend has a C39 that he sails back and forth between the Carib and Great Lakes. He and GF are live-aboards.

Their C39 is enormous. It is hard to believe it's "only" 39 feet. The deck is like an aircraft carrier.

As previously stated though C39s are mostly owner-finished, meaning no two are alike and some are pretty crappy.

I've been watching C39 prices for several years and they are going up, unlike most boats.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:16   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Corbin's built up to around 1982 are reputed to suffer from bad weather helm. This was fixed after the deck molds were redesigned with the mast moved forward. Because of the weather helm issue, the least affected boats are the post 82 models with the added bowsprit. Apparently ketches should be avoided as well for the same reason. Another point to note is that the hulls are foam cored.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:36   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.corbin39.com/thecorbinphilosophy.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:26   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

Don't know the Corbin, even by reputation, so can't compare. No boat is perfect. We also have been very happy with the way our T37 sails. Will likely pull the wheel, going with a tiller, to increase cockpit space.

The woodwork was well cared for by her owners and is amazing inside and out, but Tayanas were custom finished and each one is different.

We liveaboard. Tight for a couple, but we are happy.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36   #11

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We loved our T37 but the teak deck was brutal in hot weather. We finally took them up. They are beautiful and well built.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:36   #12

Boat: Tayana 37

Sent you a PM
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:37   #13

Thanks for the input so far.

I haven't been on either boat yet, but to me the Corbin seems just barely big enough for the pilothouse to make sense, and I think it could be a really nice thing to have. The Tayana is a little smaller and looks better off without it, to my eye. Obviously I will know better when I see them in person.

I think the Tayana is so much prettier and seems better built. But the gigantic aircraft carrier deck of the Corbin does have its advantages, with enough room inside for a spacious enough main cabin and a decent pilothouse. Yes I know to look for post-82 Corbins, but apart from that I was guessing that the more modern hull design and longer waterline would probably outsail the Tayana in most conditions. I could definitely be wrong on that and I'm happy to be corrected.

It seems like both boats can vary greatly in quality, especially on the interior, but I will hopefully be able to get a good sense between my own inspection and the survey. I'm already acquainted with typical maintenance issues, etc. and I will take all that into account when I look at specific boats. I plan on avoiding teak decks and saildrives.

I guess right now I'm more interested in what people see as trade-offs in overall layout and design. The pilothouse being a nice attribute or just a waste of cabin space. The flush deck being an asset or a liability on an offshore cruiser... etc. The high freeboard of the Corbin resulting in a nice and dry boat or just too much windage. Again I know some of these are personal preferences but I'm still curious about people's opinions.

I'm also surprised that a Canadian boat like the Corbin has a prop that seems vulnerable to getting tangled in lobster pot warps. Or is it not as vulnerable as it looks? My last boat had an outboard and lobster pots were a real problem for me, but it doesn't seem to be that big a factor for most buyers...
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56   #14

Boat: Island Packet 35

An odd comparison when you are not looking at the T37 Pilothouse as a direct comparison between the two.

But if you like the T37, then take a hard look at the T37 pilothouse as they are just a T37 with a house built on, but still retain great looks unlike the other builders who slapped houses on after the fact and killed the looks.

I never sailed a Corbin, but considered one for purchase. Like the CT and Formosa Pilothouses, I was not a fan of how the space was laid out.

The Corbin overall to me compares more to a Westsail. No negativity implied, just if that is what you are going after. Rock solid, not a fan of the VW's, but some swear by them.

The pilothouse is more functional on a T37 as you have 360 visibility. When we used our pilothouse most was in congested areas where it was more comfortable to steer inside (too cold, too hot, too many bugs), thus having the visibility was a plus.

The T37 is a great boat with a number of fans cruising the world in them. Not a fan of the original spruce spars or build quality that is vastly different boat to boat, so each has to be weighed for purchase and surveyed carefully.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post
Will likely pull the wheel, going with a tiller, to increase cockpit space.
I would much prefer a tiller myself and if I end up with a Tayana this could be an eventual goal of mine as well. It's one of the reasons I also like the Alajuela 38 and Rafiki 37. I was about to ask a bunch of questions but then I found your thread about it. Good luck and make sure to post back when you're done!

Jack

Tags
tayana 37