Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 15:51   #1

Tatoosh 51

WOW!

I just ran across this ketch! Bob Perry design, awesome layout. Anyone had any experience with this boat? Where's it built? Quality? Sailing performance? Looking at a bluewater cruiser ketch for long term cruising.
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 15:54   #2

I dont believe they are built any more but all the Tatoosh's were superb boats as far as what I've heard. Love the designs. Possibly even built in the Ta SHing yard.... which is probably the best in the world. I dont think they build "small" boats anymore... just the yachts for the very rich now...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 16:21   #3

Thanks Cheechako! I think they were built at Ta Shing in the mid 80s. Sure are nice. Love the layout

David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 16:42   #4

I'm sure Bob Perry would talk to you about the boats if you call him in Seattle..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 18:40   #5

Tatoosh 51

I have owned a Tatoosh 51 for the past 4 years. I have just completed a 24 month total refit and have allot of experience as to how she sails.

I love the layout and the quality of the interior. She is a very stout 44,000 lb.. 51 foot sailboat that will take kindly to any sea condition. I know of 5 boats in existence, and a good friend of mine owns one of them in Sausalito CA.

They were all built by Tatoosh Marine, a company owned by Robert Perry and another partner. Bob Claims to have built 7 or 8 ( cant remember) but have only found 5. All the 51's were built in the Ta Shing yard, just south west of Taiwan. A well known surveyor Matt Harris worked in this yard and has extensive knowledge of their construction.....After spending more than 2 years going through my own....I can answer any question you may have....and I mean any....lol.

The Tatoosh 51 is all cruiser with a very modern look....top speed with my new 135hp John Deere Engine is 10 knots and will cruise nicely at 6. Not much healing on this boat as she is very heavy and the sail plan is managed well between the main and mizzen....Mine is configured with a twin head sail and of course all were cutter rigged to go anywhere.
The previous owner had circumnavigated twice in her, and the ships logs read like a novel.

The salon is huge and we have had parties where 13 people sat down comfortably around the table and port side settee. The galley is small but adequate. The aft cabin is substantial and has a separate shower and head layout both forward and aft.

There was one problem I can share with regard to construction, and that was the use of Iron under the teak cap rail......a $20,000 problem, that I just finished up with. When Iron rusts it expands...when it expands it looks for an exit....when there isn't one....rust will make one....

I have no intention of selling her, she is paid for and is now my home not to far from Tatoosh Island. Everyone who sails her...loves her.....you can pick one up for around 200,000....and then the fun begins.
captainmike717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 21:26   #6

Boat: Mason 53
Give a close look to Mason's if you are seriously considering this type of vessel. I have a 53 that is in pristine condition for a reasonable price if you are interested. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 15:17   #7

Boat: Catalina 38
Re: Tatoosh 51

Captain Mike, I don't know if you are still on the forum or not but I am interested in getting some information regarding your Tatoosh. Is this the same boat that was originally for sale in Oregon a few years ago? And is it the same boat that was for sale in Port Angeles not to long ago? I would like to know if you still have the boat? Thanks
Krazymiked is offline   Reply With Quote