Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 20:24   #1

Tartan 41 Purchase

First post!

I take possession of my new home / eventual world wanderer tomorrow, 1974 Tartan 41. Been living on a Newport 30 the last few years and sailing her hard, time to move up.

Living in Seattle, Tartan is in Portland. She needs a bit of work but planning on sailing her up in Aprilish with a good weather window.

Looking forward to contributing on the forums more coming up and will definitely be asking for advice / giving what I have .

Any advice on Tartan 41's / Sail from PDX to SEA is greatly appreciated!

-Scott
skanlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 20:30   #2

Re: Tartan 41 Purchase

Grear boat Scott and one of the prettier designs from S&S. I owned a stretched version of your boat, the Tartan 44, only 7 made. Sailed it all over from Vancouver to New Zealand, through the North Pacific, Midway and back over a 4 year cruise. Very stout boat and it goes up wind like a banchee. I think you will come to really like the boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:53   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

My brother owned a Tartan 42 (a 41 with an aft cabin and a few extra comfort features) which we sailed all over the Puget Sound and the San Juans and then down to San Diego and on to western Mexico and then back to San Diego.

I've been racing and cruising for over 40 years and the Tartan 42 is one of the best sailing boats I've even been on. It was also a great cruiser.

I also cruised for two years in the Sea of Cortez and Western Mexico with a Seattle couple who owned a Tartan 41 - SV Kula - as RS said the Tartan 41/42 goes to weather like a dream.

And... it is one of the best light wind boats I've ever sailed.

My brother and I replaced or upgraded most systems on his boat over the course of a couple years. The last I heard my brothers 42 (SV Caretta) was in Vancouver BC.

Let me know if I can be any help.

I am currently spending time on our Caliber 40 in San Diego.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:46   #4

Small world. I was interested in buying Caretta as we have decided to head out again, lovely boat and your Brother is a wonderful gentleman. We decided to get away as early as possible and bought a Moody 425 in Greece. As you know the 42 is exactly the same hull as the 41 but has a different keel and a different deck as well as different layout below with the aft cabin. It also has a different mast as the 41's were single spreaders.
Absolutely lovely sea boats.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:22   #5

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanlyn View Post
First post!

I take possession of my new home / eventual world wanderer tomorrow, 1974 Tartan 41. Been living on a Newport 30 the last few years and sailing her hard, time to move up.

Living in Seattle, Tartan is in Portland. She needs a bit of work but planning on sailing her up in Aprilish with a good weather window.

Looking forward to contributing on the forums more coming up and will definitely be asking for advice / giving what I have .

-Scott
Hi Scott, I live in Portland on a Hunter 40. Almost bought a Tartan last year. Have you come down to see her yet? Haven't sailed north, considering south sometime in late summer, but would entertain a crew spot if needed.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 11:24   #6

Quote:
First post!

-Scott
I am just about to buy one. How have you got on??
Old 20-03-2013, 11:34   #7

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
First post!

-Scott
Congratulations on a gorgeous boat. There are several T-41/2 owners active on the Tartan owners' list -- tartansailing@yahoogroups.com. They're another good source of experience with rehab and upgrades.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 15:49   #8

Thanks for all the reply's I picked her up 2 weeks ago. Spent last weekend cleaning like crazy.

Here are some pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11305...56911858482657

Some are pre cleaning and some are afterwards.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I will keep updated as to plans and the sail north!
Old 24-03-2013, 12:31   #9

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Always loved T-41's. I'd love to see her as you start to work on her, should be a fun project.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:11   #10

Update to the project:

Had her hauled out, if you follow this link to the pictures:

You will see what we found. Pretty big separation of keel and hull. Gulp. Small wear down and crack in prop strake. (Prop is WAY to far back from the strake!) as well as wicked vibration on the motor / associated leakage.

So we plan on:

-Resetting the keel, hoping for no keel bolt damage. Advice / guidance appreciated!
-Redoing the prop shaft / balance / shorten / update coupler with new PTI R&D models.
-Bottom Epoxy and Paint. Or maybe just paint, see how the checkbook is doing.
-Eventually replace the decks. (Maybe the next haul, drill and fill for now).
Old 04-04-2013, 14:18   #11

Boat: Hunter 31

Welcome to the forums scott! I just joined myself...

So when we making the trip up?!

Cheers,
-Jared
jared1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:36   #12

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

The hull/keel "separation" doesn't look as appalling as you suggest. The filler in this area between the glass/lead often gets hard and falls out if not repaired from time to time. I would be inclined to just tweak the bolts to ensure they are up tight - I suspect they will be - and refill with a Sikaflex product or similar. There is a gasket of filler in there which is the width of the keel, so chances are the water would not have gotten through to the keel bolts. In addition, the bolts on these older boats with a lead keel often tended to be quite beefy, so it may not be as bad as you think. Only way to tell in the long run is to pull the bolts, but again that is not as big a task as it sounds.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:16   #13

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Thanks for all the reply's I picked her up 2 weeks ago. Spent last weekend cleaning like crazy.

Here are some pictures:

Some are pre cleaning and some are afterwards.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I will keep updated as to plans and the sail north!
Congrats on the new boat. Keep us updated on the refit.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 13:38   #14
TFR

Boat: Tartan 41

Hi Scott,

How are you making out with the Tartan?

I purchased a Tartan 41 Last year and I am in the process of trying to get her up to speed and back in the water. She has been on the hard for over nine years, but is in relatively nice shape considering - especially below decks. There are the usual deck core problems and all the running ringing has to be replaced etc. I stripped the bottom and have but on about 6 coats of barrier coat and I am also painting the topsides.... too much to go into here.

I hope you are enjoying the boat.

Best, Tom
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58   #15
T41

Boat: Tartan S&S, T41, 41'

Hi Guys

After really enjoying reading this great forum for many years, I decided to join today. What took me so long?

As a middle-aged guy I've owned several sailboats (of various sizes and materials) over the years but had to take way too long of a break while career and parenthood responsibilities consumed most of my free time and money.

After fixing up a old 27' Soling with/for my 12 year old son a couple summers ago, and seeing how much we enjoyed being on the water together (it doesn't get better than that), we successfully convinced my wife that we really needed something bigger --an our nagging worked ;-). In October I bought a very nicely maintained mid-70s Tartan T41 with a couple friends ... we sailed her from ME back to MA where she's on the hard for the winter. Spring can't come soon enough.

Hopefully we can swap more sailing tales than maintenance headaches ;-)

Cheers,
Eric

PS:
To me, this 3 minute clip beautifully captures what sailing with family really is all about. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did ... A Father, a Boat, and the Sea on Vimeo
T41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase