Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2014, 07:18   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
pirate Tartan 37 versus Pacific Seacraft 40

I have owned a T37 for 10 years and love the boat. we sail and cruise the Chesapeake bay. I am thinking up moving up to a PS40; "up" for more tankage, room, stability for coastal cruising, etc.

My question is how well the PS40(usually a cutter), and heavier boat, will handle the lighter air of the Chesapeake and also about how the PS will handle under power in "close quarters".

I am a new member to CF and look forward to and appreciate any feedback that can be offered; hopefully, some of it from PS40 owners.

Thanks!
jwt449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 07:25   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: tartan 37 versus pacific seacraft 40

Having sailed both (but didn't own one) I can say that the Tartan will handle light air better, particularly upwind. The Tartan has more sail area/displacement and has a marginally slipperier hull.

I doubt if you will have more room in the PSC. The canoe stern limits lazarette and aft cabin space.

Stability- Well a slight edge to the PSC. Probably a better limit of positive stability. But for coastal sailing, who cares.

The PSC handles fine under power. The fin keel, rear skeg and big rudder will handle well in tight quarters. The Tartan may back a little better due to not having a skeg.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 07:29   #3

Haven't sailed the 40 but have sailed the 37. Its hard to say as the Tartan is a very good sailor and in light wind I think the PS isn't going to measure up to what you are used to. Better go out and sail one before you get to excited. The PS are nicely built and are a decent choice for offshore but are small for their length and the canoe stern reduces the storage compared to others in this size range.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 07:43   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback. I would expect the T37 to handle light winds better based on weight etc. The maneuverability thoughts are also helpful - the Tartan does have a full rudder and skeg and it does maneuver well. Sailing a PS40 IS a great idea, sadly i do not know anyone who has one, or where i could charter one. If there is anyone out there on the Chesapeake who has one and ...... then that would be great. Keep the thoughts coming.
jwt449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 20:20   #5

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Haven't sailed the 40 but have sailed the 37. Its hard to say as the Tartan is a very good sailor and in light wind I think the PS isn't going to measure up to what you are used to. Better go out and sail one before you get to excited. The PS are nicely built and are a decent choice for offshore but are small for their length and the canoe stern reduces the storage compared to others in this size range.
A decent choice for offshore? What would be a good choice?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 23:04   #6

I wasn't referring to the quality of the build as the PS is good quality but they are a small 40 compared to many others out there that are also built well and have much more storage as well as wider sterns that can take larger arches for solar panels, davits and that sort of stuff. I think they are a decent choice especially if one is planning on doing a lot of offshore sailing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft