Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2020, 18:05   #46

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Tartan 34c vs Morgan 33T vs Catalina 30?

NormanMartin:

I've been watching just about all the cruising channels. Love the boat refit and repair channels too. So yes, I watch hours a day on them. Literally. Love them. Have lots of tools and buying the tools I will need for boat repair that I don't have now so will not have to buy a lot when we move on boat. Our buying patter is simple right now: will it go on the boat or help with boat yes/no? If yes then buy. If no then no buy.

We will get a crate and send all our household items to the Philippines where we have family that will use/store them until we get there. We've already started sending cheap freight already

I'm happy to spend that after the initial purchase. Have good pension so will have enough to do that. I agree, I'm looking for good bones I'd happily rebuild the whole inside just so I understand everything. I'm one of those guys as a child that took everything apart to see how it ran then rebuilt it. Did the same thing learning computers in college. Look forward to it on the boat. I know the frustration of things breaking and the joy of rebuilding it better than it was before. So to me that is a joy to look forward to not a worry.

Sounds like lots of excellent advice. I had planned to totally replumb the boat, PTSD comes with a lot of tummy problems, so I'm very careful with water and chicken. I had planned to put new water system in as I think I've mentioned before either in this thread or another. All our water here in the house goes through a zero water filter. I will put a water maker then run it through a zero water filter before drinking. Ok, I admit I'm OCD tool.. lol not the worst thing for boat repair. Like I said I tend to make things better when I fix them. Never just jury rig or "get by" type repair.

So much good advice thank you. Yes, I've planned on replacing all those things except the stove. Just thoroughly cleaning that and adding a grill on the back. I love grilling. Can't wait to be able to catch fresh fish again and grill it. Love eating fresh fish and fruit/veggies.

I will check out all the blogs and watch the youtube. Thank you.

Pretty certain I'm going to get a 34C based on everyones guidance (and it was my number one choice already). Whenever lockdown ends and we get a chance we will be heading down to Titusville FL to look at the one I posted above if they haven't sold it yet. Will try to look at some Tartan 37s also... just in case we get a real wild hair...
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 05:43   #47

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Have you found "Have Wind Will Travel" it is a channel and a great blog by Annie and Philip. Annie is also an amusing author who can set the stage in words for what you are undertaking. They bought a Niagra 35 sloop and have sailed it and refiited in stages. Start at March 2013, the beginning, and keep reading. All good stuff.

https://havewindwilltravel.com/

Beautiful day here so I'm going to work on my boat!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 17:24   #48

I'm not 100% sure but I think that Tartan 34 in Titusville sold. Have u been in contact with the owners?
mgnm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 17:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnm02 View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think that Tartan 34 in Titusville sold. Have u been in contact with the owners?
I didn't bother them because I can't get down there yet. My state, their state, and all the states in between are in lockdown.

Happy for them if it sold.

Sad for me, looked like almost perfect boat for me!
Old 21-04-2020, 17:45   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Vitton View Post
I have a 34cb 1976 Morgan. The center board can be a concern especially in saltwater. When my center board stainless cable broke I had it replaced with Dyneema line in Marathon Fl. That was over 10 years ago. Every time I haul my boat I check the center board cable and it as good as the day it was installed. Other Morgan 34 with stainless cable ever year or so.
A 1976 Morgan would probably be a Morgan 35 not a 34. Owned a 1972 M35 and it ate center board cables. It broke within a year of first launch because of electrolysis. Morgan replaced it with a Monel cable but that didn't last either. They had an electrolysis clause in their warranty and invoked it after the second break so I was on my own after the first replacement. There was no Dyneema back then so only cure was an annual haul out and cable replacement. It was an easy fix once out of the water but a pain to have to haul every year just for the C/B cable. I switched to Dyneema for the C/B cable on my current boat, Pearson 35, just out of caution. It's still going strong after 8 years.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 17:49   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
A 1976 Morgan would probably be a Morgan 35 not a 34. Owned a 1972 M35 and it ate center board cables. It broke within a year of first launch because of electrolysis. Morgan replaced it with a Monel cable but that didn't last either. They had an electrolysis clause in their warranty and invoked it after the second break so I was on my own after the first replacement. There was no Dyneema back then so only cure was an annual haul out and cable replacement. It was an easy fix once out of the water but a pain to have to haul every year just for the C/B cable. I switched to Dyneema for the C/B cable on my current boat, Pearson 35, just out of caution. It's still going strong after 8 years.
I know this is off topic, but since you've been talking about how dyneema for centerboards is better, how about for rigging? I've been going back and forth on whether on not to use dyneema. Many have said it's better replacing not only the centerboard but all the rigging with dyneema.
Old 22-04-2020, 19:29   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm going to have to rewire my rig sometime soon. Debating whether to go with wire and StaLoks which I've done a number of times or Dynex Dux with deadeyes. Save weight with the Dyneema but terminals from College add up on the cost side. There's a guy in the harbor who rigged his 28' with Dyneema doing it all himself. Been trying to get in touch with him to see which Dyneema he used and how it was working out.

Once you have the thimbles and dead eyes, replacement is just the cost of the line. That makes living with the 6-10 year service life of the line bearable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 19:36   #53

roverhi:

Maybe it's overconfidence but I feel like I could do the rigging myself on a boat with Dyneema, but I would be intimidated rigging with wire. Maybe just silly state of mind. Sailing Zingaro is a big fan. He made it to shore when his boat fell apart by wrapping Dyneema line around it. That's one hell of a thing to make you believe in the power of Dyneema.
Old 22-04-2020, 20:18   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
That's one hell of a thing to make you believe in the power of Dyneema.
But has bugger all to do with the use of Dyneema in standing rigging... just completely unrelated usages.

Jim
Old 22-04-2020, 22:12   #55

Pianopraze,

I'd contact the 34c owner in Titusville. Maybe it's sold. Maybe it hasn't. You can learn a lot about a boat talking to the owner on the phone. You'll also learn a lot about 34c's in general. Let the seller know you're out there and interested in 34c's. No one's going to expect you to make an offer next week.

I looked on Yachtworld and there's another 34c in Maryland that is "sale pending". With the virus there's at least a 50% chance that sale has fallen through. Actually, I bet 50% of boat sales fall through even when there isn't a virus.

And finally, a third one in Indiantown Florida - by a broker - by the pictures it's in tough shape and the owner was "transferred". Asking $11,000 but you might get this one for your $5000.

You've heard it from others but - even with your time and skill - bringing a really beat boat back to life can become a long, thankless march. Don't expect the survey to find everything - or even half the things. That said - "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 08:13   #56

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

A couple of things came to mind about sailboats.
The first, sailboatdata.com is a useful site for looking up specifications about boats, the compare feature is located in the options button. Side by side comparisons of two or three boats is possible.

The second is the Tom Dove (ex Carl Adler site) Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats which looks at boats in a bit more detail and has explanitory notes.

As for Dyneema rigging. Dunno. An Aphrodite 101 was rerigged with it in the PNW. I have an Aphrodite so it was of particular interst to me. Seems like a lot of work to reduce weight aloft if you are cruising. There is a couple out voyaging now, The Rigging Doctor, who is a rope guy and reriggged with dyneema and blogged about it.
This link will get you to the story:
https://www.riggingdoctor.com/life-a...mel-eye-splice

Rerigging with stainless is not that expensive that it shouldn't be on the top of the list. While rerigging, don't forget the chain plates!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:40   #57

CarlF thank you.

The Sale Pending 34C in Maryland would be a great buy, autopilot nice bimani, etc..

Wow, that's rough in Florida. Some nerve asking 12k. I wouldn't pay a penny over 5k, and even then would be paying more than the Maryland boat by time I fix things up. What worries me is the Marina it's most likely in wants almost 300$ per month for just storage —that's rough. Indiantown Marina - Rates Would have to spend 6-12 months fixing it up and that makes even 5k seem expensive. BUT... would love to do it. Love to learn her inside out rebuilding it.

Anyone know a place I could work/live on it for ~100/month? Would happily bring her back to life. Still have a mortgage here in KY right now until my wife's 10 year green card comes though (would have already had it but it's stalled by the current world situation).

Great advice, I have a HORRIBLE time not making things perfect. OCD is a real... *cough*.
At $5000 I would be happy with any Tartan 34c. Seen several at 12-15 (Maryland you listed and Titusville I referenced) I would be very happy with.

NormanMartin:
That's a very useful site! The only thing the Tartan34C doesn't have that I would like is full keel for motion comfort... but hard when you want shallow draft. For what I will be doing at first I think I'll go with the 34C's shallow draft.

Yeah, I've seen Rigging Doctor on youtube! Thanks for links/advice!

JimCate don't know how to reply to that.
Old 27-04-2020, 15:27   #58

What do you all think of Jeanneau Espace 1000?

Just saw this on facebook and love the layout: https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...099819234.html
Old 28-04-2020, 03:20   #59

+1+++ Go Team Tartan!

They're gorgeous, well- built boats and... you get what you pay for. Would you like to go sailing, or would you like you conduct a refit? (That's a rhetorical question)

That Titusville Tartan looks lovely - and Beta engines are amazing. If you can get ahold of Snore (Forum Member - you can PM him Bill's a good guy), he lives aboard a Tartan. Get his feedback.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 03:27   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But has bugger all to do with the use of Dyneema in standing rigging... just completely unrelated usages.

Jim
Piano,

If your message to Jim is that you "don't know what to say to that" then you have a WHOLE LOT more to learn.

Maybe don't buy any boat just yet... or go with a Catalina and bash her up for a few years while you learn (and wrap rigging with Dyneema like they do on YouTube videos) then get a Tartan.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, morgan, tartan 34c