Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 23:01   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Tartan 27 in MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkriley View Post
those engines are problematic and the cost of a replacement should be factored in.
very unlikely to last the trip you are considering plus parts problems.
I lived on one for 3 years and consider it too small for 2.
mk
This is one of my main concerns with this particular boat. I'm going to talk to the owners tomorrow and see what the situation is on the engine.

I have a couple of Vegas that I'm looking at too that, albeit more expensive, are much better outfit.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 04:46   #32

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

The boat has a cradle. This boat is not that heavy or high off the ground. It could be secured to a flat bed trailer and towed by HD pick up.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 05:24   #33

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The good news is that replacing the standing rigging on a 27 foot sailboat is not that expensive...I'm going to guess well under $1000. Can anyone offer a better number based on personal experience?
Shortly after buying my boat in 2012, I replaced the standing rigging myself. I bought everything at Rigging Only (https://www.riggingandhardware.com/) and cost me about $1400. More recently, maybe a few months ago, I was curious to see how much costs have changed. While the wire itself has stayed the same, the fittings have gone up. I used Hayn Hi-Mod's. If I were to replace the rigging today, it would cost me closer to $1750. Just something to keep in mind for the budget of any boat.

Now, regarding the engine. A friend of mine has an older Tartan 27. I showed him the ad to get his thoughts and he gasped at the thought of the Ferryman. One thing is, that engine isn't made any more and spare parts will be very difficult to source. Another comment he made, the 11 horsepower is way under-powered. So either way, expect a repower, and a budget of $8-10k... just for the engine. Then more if you get someone else to install, align, etc. He also said he thought the $6k asking price was a bit high and thought it should be around $4k, but I thought it wasn't too bad. He's more familiar with the boat than I am though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
The boat has a cradle. This boat is not that heavy or high off the ground. It could be secured to a flat bed trailer and towed by HD pick up.
Agreed. There's one in my marina the owners are working on. While my boat is also 27', the T27 is not as large, in height/weight. An HD truck shouldn't have any issues with this kind of load.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 05:43   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
This is one of my main concerns with this particular boat. I'm going to talk to the owners tomorrow and see what the situation is on the engine.

I have a couple of Vegas that I'm looking at too that, albeit more expensive, are much better outfit.
the engine condition does not matter as you still will not be able to get parts and service.
go to the tartan owners forum on the web and see what they think of them. Go to your local ferryman dealer and ask about the engine parts
mk
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 06:09   #35

Boat: Corbin 39

Rayban I live in Charlevoix, about a mile from this boat. I work in the marine business and may be able to help you out. And get this, I also have a 27 foot sailboat that I plan on taking to the gulf at the end of the summer. PM me if you want my help.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote