Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2009, 03:56   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modul8
... i have a cockpit drain hose that is split and spewing all the dirty water from the cockpit down into the bilge ...
... I decided thereafter to plug the cockpit drain that was attached until I can replace both hoses with something more appropriate ...
Good find*- that split hose could have sunk your boat!
I suggest you replace the hoses ASAP, as a “full” cockpit isn’t a good idea either.

* This illustrates the axiom that one shouldn’t accept any “mystery” problems.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 14:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Good find*- that split hose could have sunk your boat!
I suggest you replace the hoses ASAP, as a “full” cockpit isn’t a good idea either.

* This illustrates the axiom that one shouldn’t accept any “mystery” problems.
I guess I should clarify... the boat is on the hard (my dad's driveway to be precise) so taking on water other than rain is unlikely
Also, there is a pair of cockpit drains at the rear, only one of which is out of commission.
I went by the marina today to price out some new hose to replace the split one, but they had only 1-1/2". my drains are 2" I'll drop by the local RV supplier tomorrow to see if they have anything bigger( and more durable)
modul8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 08:46   #18

Boat: Hughes Columbia 8.7
Is that 1-1/2" Inside diameter Hose or Outside Dimension......?

How long are the hoses?.......If it is 2" inside diameter maybe a plumbing supplier might have a flexible rubber hose that may work. OR possibly an automotive supplier.

I work in the RV industry & the two common size Flexible plastic hose we use is either
1-1/4" I.D or 1-3/8" I.D. I checked our suppliers....2" What ?.....

I would make sure that you use two stainless steel hose clamps at each connection fitting.....be careful to not leave any sharp edges...
Old 22-04-2009, 08:57   #19

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Suggest you use quality auto heater hose.

Go to your local auto supply shop with a piece of your old tube. Measure the existing tube height so you know what length you need (allow space for double s/s clamps top & bottom).
You are probably going to pay about $40 for them, but by using the reinforced heater hose you can rest easy and know that you won't sink.
Do an annual check of them in the spring, making sure the clamps are snug.
Replace both of them - don't just do the cracked one.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 06:35   #20

so i dropped into the local rv center yesterday, and was disappointed that all i could find was more of what i already have (the kind that split..after 25 years mind you) I was looking for something a little more robust, and so I headed over to princess auto. I found some nice thick flex pipe with a good 3/8" wall that should do the trick. The drains and thru-hull fittings are barbed, so I'm going to see if it fits over nicely on the one side before buying enough for both drains. it's pretty inexpensive also, at around $1.90 a foot. I also nabbed a 6-pair pack of rubber-faced work gloves that should work reasonably well for gripping the lines, etc.. only 12.20 for the pack! I love princess auto!!
so I'll be heading down to my boat this weekend to see if it will all fit nicely. Now to source some marine mahogany ply (4X8X12mm) for the bulkhead replacement.... anyone know a place in the sarnia-windsor-london region to buy a sheet?

(disclaimer: I don't work at princess auto, nor do is have any stake in their success. any promotion of this company in the above text is purely gleeful drivel, and should be regarded as strictly subjective.. unless you love princess auto too )
Old 23-04-2009, 06:54   #21

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Here's a link to my favourite marine ply supplier.

Noah's Marine Supplies Online Store - Plywood & Panels

I love Princess Auto too! Amazing how many of the guys in our boat yard say the same thing.
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 20:54   #22

so i was scrubbing (and i mean SCRUBBING) my deck on Monday and ventured toward the bow locker, and was surprised to see a pile of weeds in there!! my eyes folloew up to the top of the pile of weeds, and there, nestled atop the pile was a comfy-looking nest, with 5 thumbnail sized baby blue robins eggs resting cozily inside. I decided to leave it there until after the mom has flown the coop so to speak, lest I ruffle any feathers...LOL dad and I have sttarted making a template for the bulkhead replacement, and I have finished replacing the worst of the two cockpit drains.. the next one should take much less time.
Old 01-05-2009, 18:11   #23

Saw one on Craigslist in Florida for sale today.
great sailboat TANZER 29FT
Good price in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2009, 20:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Campbell View Post
What an awsome idea.
I still have my Catalina 25, and one thing that was a factor in it's purchase was the overwelming amount of web based support for the model.
I think your idea would be great in promoting such a great "forgotten" design. Tanzer seems quite popular in my area. But few have heard of this model.
Not only racy lines, but wow, the living space in it's 29ft to me is like some 32 footers I've been on ....aft cabin....a winner to me.
I'd join.

In the absence of a dedicated site for tanzer 29s, and in the interest of uniting owners, I am happy to announce the creation of a new forum: the topics and responses are currently slim pickings, but at least stop by and say hi

tanzer29.freeforums.org • Index page
Old 17-01-2010, 12:54   #25

up to a grand total of 11 members now since july.. not a huge amount of traffic, but with a small number of hulls in production, every member is a success story. if you own a tanzer 29 stop by and visit/contribute!
tanzer29.freeforums.org • Portal
-Paul
Old 04-02-2010, 20:46   #26

..make that 13
Old 09-09-2016, 02:27   #27

Boat: Tanzer 28
Re: Tanzer 29

I am the happy new owner of a T28. The S/V Lyra berthed on the north shore of Prince Edward County, Ontario at Baycrest Lodge Marina. The vendor has downsized to a T22 and will be my neighbour in the adjacent slip.

This vessel is set-up for a live aboard situation and I am very happy.

For those of you familiar with the Bay of Quinte, you are aware of the beauty of the area.

Forgive me for bragging, I thought this would be an appropriate place to announce my good fortune!

Thanks!
Wavesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:38   #28

Boat: Hunter 23.5

A fellow that I know here in town owns a T29, with wing keel and dual axle road trailer, he did have it up for sale for a while, it has not seen any water for the last 5 years, I see it is parked in his backyard it is a very well taken care of boat, I spoke with him this spring and he still keeps buying sails and other parts for it.

The boat is located in Red Deer Alberta.
Lakehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:39   #29

Boat: Tanzer 29 - s/v Lady Jane

I have a 1989 T29. Must be one of the last ones. Nice boat. I'm the 3rd owner. Originally bought by a couple in Chicago (Chips Ahoy). Mine is hull #64.

JerryA
JerryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:08   #30

Owned a new one back in 1990 or so. Originally purchased in Ontario, I trucked it out to the West coast when I moved back to Vancouver. Sailed and raced it for a year or two and then sold it, I'm assuming it's still sailing on the West coast.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote