Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 18:16   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well I can always stand corrected. I owned 3 C&C over the years..a 24/27/36 I had no idea at the time they were cored to the centreline.
Not the 24' or 27'. Only 32' and over. The core generally comes to within 18" of center on most models although on some it was 13" and Monday/Friday boats had 18" on one side and 13" on the other
Old 24-12-2014, 03:37   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbleu View Post
I own a 1980 C&C Landfall 38. LOVE the boat! ...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 04:34   #33

Boat: C&C 34

Yes cored hulls. Some people here have it backwards, it is cored to the waterline from the keel up not the other way around. And that C&C smile is often the forward keel bolt being loose. It is located in the middle of the mast step and cannot be torqued unless the mast is out.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 04:38   #34

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
Language lesson:

Balsa core means RUN AWAY!
Really? Did your westsail or bristol have issues with their cored hulls?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 09:37   #35

The other issue with cored hulls is the laminate may shrink away rather than bond with the coring... even if the core is dry. I guess this occurs if the balsa soaks up resin too fast and there is not enough left for a good bond. The cored hull strength is lost. I've seen boats with hundreds of holes drilled in the hull to inject resin to cure this.

I've also seen two C&C built Mega 30 boats that are cored hulls that had water in the core. One of these was recored from the inside as the Mega racing boat had little interior and the coring was done in~ 16-18" wide strips longitudinally in the hull. It was a mystery how the core got wet as there were no thru hulls in the boat. The exterior skin is very thin on these... they were very lightly built as a flat out racer... I often wondered if the wet core was water migrated thru the fiberglass...? or maybe condensation...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 20:11   #36

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

so I'm looking at the landfall 38 this week. if the layout doesn't work for me what are some other designs that I should look at in the same size range with a more conventional interior layout and similar sailing qualities.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 04:31   #37

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
so I'm looking at the landfall 38 this week. if the layout doesn't work for me what are some other designs that I should look at in the same size range with a more conventional interior layout and similar sailing qualities.
Hi ! How long are you going to cruise ? Live aboard ? How many people will cruise with you ? For 2, I consider 34' as a good starting size (That's what I have) & 38 to 40 for 4 although I've seen many 40 footers used by couple that considers 40' as the minimum size to avoid playing "musical chairs" with the tons of stuff we end up with ... In late June, I turned down a not so good C&C 38 for an excellent fresh water Ericson 34 that I motored-sailed from lake Michigan to , Sint Maarten, Dutch West Indies, & I can confirm that -so far- I don't regret the extra 4'... A friend of mine (Professionnal charter skipper) told me that he upgrades the standing rigging on his clients sailboats every 10 years ! That's an extra $5000 Try the last version of the Ericson 38 which is the bigger brother of mine such as 1987 Ericson 38-200 sailboat for sale in Missouri
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:53   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Morgan 38x might be something else to look it. 381, 382, 383...as they upgraded things. Some cruisers might prefer the more protected rudder and other differences as well. Similar vintages and prices, pretty much.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 13:31   #39

well I went and checked the boat out, it looked great. I liked it but the mini aft cabin thing didn't sit right with me. felt like ti took a lot of space away from the galley and saloon. and the day after I went to see the boat someone else put in an offer which was above my budget. so now I'm back on the hunt again. I'm looking at a C&C 36 and a C&C 40.
Old 03-01-2015, 15:02   #40

the C&C 36 is kind of a known quantity to me, I've sailed them before, I know how they handle and what to expect. though 36ft is a touch small for me as I plan on living aboard for at least half the year.

the C&C 40-2 is more of an unknown for me. from what information I've been able to find online they only made around 100 of them and they're quite quick. they also appear to have a ton of interior space. anyone have more information on this boat?
Old 03-01-2015, 15:09   #41

I sailed a CC36 down the Way Or coast to Mexico then to Hawaii and back to Vancouver. Not really an offshore boat in my opinion but a nice sailor.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 15:32   #42

Quote:
I sailed a CC36 down the Way Or coast to Mexico then to Hawaii and back to Vancouver. Not really an offshore boat in my opinion but a nice sailor.
what made the 36 undesirable as an offshore boat?
Old 03-01-2015, 16:16   #43

Re: Talk to me about the C&C Landfall 38

Thanks for asking! As I said it was a nice sailing boat and I did quite a bit of beer can racing with it so when I did take it offshore I knew the boat. I had rudder issues with it, every part of the structure was on the light side. After getting a real ass kicking ride about 150 miles off the Way Or Coast I had the boat hauled in SF and had new bearings installed as well as some glass work to beef the area up a bit. Everything worked fine from Mexico to Hawaii but coming back(which is s much tougher sail) the bearings started to give me trouble again and in one gale I had a bulkhead crack. The bulkheads sort of floated a bit. They were glasses to the hull but held in place to the deck by T fittings that were flush on the deck and screwed into the bulkhead. I remember laying on the floor by the head door watching the door going up and down around a half inch. These boats were strong in there own way but very flexible. The 40 is a much stronger boat, I damn near bought one. Good luck in your search.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 16:42   #44

Boat: Ericson 34
Angry Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
So called "offshore cruisers" are nice sailboats for sure, but they also have not so perfect details. Example: the dodger -of that otherwise excellent Pacific Seacraft 31- doesn't go aft enough to offer a protected area where you can spend time when you have to keep watch during bad weather (Shipping lanes etc...). Also, often, they offer shallow draft -5' instead of 6' & I remember beating against SW wind during a gale off the coast of Portugal during several days... I needed all the upwind qualities of my sailboat. Many years later, I cruised offshore with a Chance 33 with 6' draft... It was an excellent upwind sailboat & a decent cruising boat... All this to say that if you have a bottomless bank account, you can get a very good so called "cruiser", otherwise many "cruiser-racer" or even former "racer" make decent offshore cruising sailboats for far less money. "Cruising" sailboats keep their value much better unless they are plagued with problems such as the Valiant family with osmosis... All this to say that you find excellent cruising sailboats that never sailed more than a few hundred miles from their home port while I met lots of racers & cruiser-racers used happily by "real" offshore sailors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OffshoreCruiser.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	94853  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08   #45

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbleu View Post
I own a 1980 C&C Landfall 38. LOVE the boat! It's heavy enough to handle seas, sails ridiculously fast, and can handle gusts effortlessly. I wouldn't change much except maybe to have a bigger v-berth. My boat has crossed the Atlantic twice (previous owner) and cruised the Caribbeans. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. sailboatparbleu@gmail.com. Cheers. Nick.
My C& C 38 Landfall 1981.
steering wheel turn hard.. I inspected and. grease bearings .
I am looking for some sketches or drawings of the rudder system assy. did you experienced. simmilar conditions?
fworonkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote