Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 14:14   #1

Boat: none at the moment
take me by the hand

Hi ppl
well you lost me again reading about a Hunter 37 cutter
i came across all this stuff ( help ) what does it all mean ???

1 PHRF of 155
2 SA/D - 18
3 B/D - 40%
4 D/L - 287
5 motion of comfort - 34
6 Capsize screen of 1.91

any help would be great
thanks alex
darkmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 14:50   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmetal View Post
Hi ppl

1 PHRF of 155
2 SA/D - 18
3 B/D - 40%
4 D/L - 287
5 motion of comfort - 34
6 Capsize screen of 1.91

any help would be great
thanks alex
Not knowing the exact context from which you extracted these figures, I can only offer the following:

1 - PHRF = Performance Handicap Racing Fleet - a system of using handicap performance formulae to "adjust" the racing times of dissimilar vessels. Think of the practice of placing weight in the saddles of thoroughbred horses to compensate for previous experience and race results.

2 - SA/D = Sail Area/Displacement - the ratio of the total area of a vessel's sails to the weight of the water displaced by its hull(s).

3 - B/D = Don't know what the B refers to, for certain, though I suspect it might be ballast, but the D is, again, displacement.

4 - D/L = Displacement/Length - the ratio of the weight of the displaced water to the vessel's length (probably LWL, or Load Water Line).

5 - Not familiar with this term.

6 - Probably a formula for determining at what point a vessel turns turtle (capsizes) instead of coming back onto her feet (regains an upright position), or as rebel heart puts it, has "the stick in the air."

I could be wrong on the above, and others with greater knowledge will correct me, but thought I'd try to help.

TaoJones
Old 05-12-2007, 16:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmetal View Post
Hi ppl

1 PHRF of 155
2 SA/D - 18
3 B/D - 40%
4 D/L - 287
5 motion of comfort - 34
6 Capsize screen of 1.91

any help would be great
thanks alex
Go to this page, link originally provided by the ever resourceful GordMay:

Sail Calculator Pro v3.5-beta

scroll halfway down the page until you see the text boxes. Click in any box and it will tell you what that value is based upon.

You can select your boat from the lists above and it will calculate all those things for you. It is a very useful page.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 18:48   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
IMHO all that stuff doesn't mean a thing unless you've been aboard several boats so that you can compare the numbers of one boat to another. It also doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the build of the boat or whether it will take punishment offshore.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Numbers (More Than You Ever Wanted To Know!) ~ by Ted Brewer
Ted Brewer Yacht Design

Is your boat stable? ~ by Ted Brewer
http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/stability.htm

Sailboat Design Ratios by Dan Pfeiffer
Ratio Formulas

Sailboat Design and Stability (/w online calculators)
Sailboat Design and Stability

Understanding the Numbers - Basic design formulas for sailboats by Roger Marshall
Boats Used Boat Sales - boats.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:20   #6

These values are used to describe the performance of the boat based on it's metrics, weight, balast, sail area, hull shape, waterline and so forth.

While it might be helpful to sail in boats with different metrics you can predict the "performance" of a boat if you know what those values correspond to. It's not rocket science, and it is helpful in understanding naval architecture and these factors are what makes some vessels perform in light air, or offshore in heavy weather etc.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:26   #7

If you're looking for a race boat, ditch the Hunter. There's no way you can argue that they can hold their own in a race. Take a J109 or Farr395 and put it up against that Hunter, handicap included. No contest.

I don't know what it is, but I'm really anti-Hunter. When I see one, all I can think is "the guy on that probably has designer sunglasses."
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 13:23   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hunters are in not racers nor cruising boats. In general they are weekend boats more suited to general family use. They are ok for their intended purpose. Don't let some slick broker tell you different. I guess you could take the larger ones cruising but still, there are so many better cruising boats out there.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 22:09   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Maybe I'm biased anti Hunter as well.
About ten years ago, there was some newbie cruiser guy in a Hunter 45 in Zihuatanejo who asked on the local VHF net if there was anyone in the anchorage that had a Jabsco part number xxxxxx that he could buy. When nobody answered him he got pissed and started berating everyone for not being willing to part with THEIR spare parts! I don't know if anybody even HAD the part he wanted.

We found out later that his wife had jumped ship about a month into the cruise because he was such a Captain Ahab.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 15:03   #10

Boat: '99 Hunter 240 "Anitabreak II"
Rebel Heart....
I have a Hunter 240, and for the life of me I can't remember ever owning a pair of designer sunglasses
Anitabreak II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 15:53   #11

The old Hunter 37 cutters are not 'typical' Hunters - whatever that means. These boats were a Cherubini design with (I think) solid glass hulls. They came in a shoal draft and deep draft version. I had occasion to help sail a deep draft one from the Keys (via the Dry Tortugas) to New Port Richie about ten years ago. Of course, the forecast was wrong and we got caught out in the Gulf in deteriorating weather with cross seas and squalls for over 24 hours. My impression was that the H37C is not a particularly fast light wind performer, but it was strong and capable in nasty conditions.

Of course, these boats are now all more than 20 years old . For this vintage, condition is probably more important than design - watch for leaky ports, hatches, decks, etc.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:56   #12

Hunters get a lot of people into sailing and make good coastal cruisers and weekenders. They hit a price point and have been very successful. I would not consider the smaller Hunters safe offshore boats but I'm shure they are being sailed offshore anyway.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 13:45   #13

Boat: none at the moment
hi all
thanks for all the replys very helpful as i said i just found the item about the hunter cutter the one im looking at for the moment (and by the time im looking to buy and should be in the price range) is the hunter 45
I know I know but i can afford the sunglass's right now but it just looks a great yacht
I know looks are not the way to buy anything but as i read something that
part of cruising is feeling good about your yacht and i'd look good on that yacht lol
thanks
alex
darkmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 15:59   #14

When it comes to sailboats, a little romance is both acceptable and expected. Her lines and your reaction to them shouldn't be the most important consideration. But they're not irrelevant either.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 11:37   #15

Boat: '99 Hunter 240 "Anitabreak II"
Dark Metal
There is a Hunters owners web site and they're very helpful and have a welth of information.
Anita

HunterOwners.com
Anitabreak II is offline   Reply With Quote