Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 07:29   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39
Swanson 28 Double ender

Good Morning
I am new to this forum and this this my first post. Hopefully I am able to receive a few helpful replies.
I am currently considering buying a Swanson 28 double ender (mid 80's). I do not know a great deal about these yachts, apart from the fact they seem to be a large volume and fairly popular boat. My main interest is knowing if these vessels are suitable for most sailing conditions, in shore, off shore, extended sailing, or are they primarily a coastal cruiser.
My initial plan was a steel Boden 36, for the obvious reasons it was a well fitted out live aboard with extensive long distance sailing Hx.
I have become interested in the Swanson because of its very up to date interior and large volume (and reasonable price), for extended sailing it would require a few updates in electronics etc: hence the boat as she lies is a basic but very nice layout and condition.
Any comments on this particular type of vessel would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 13:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Swanson 28 Double ender

Great little sea boat. Not the fastest around but probably the biggest volume boat for it's size around, in Aus anyway. Some of them were home finished from a hull and deck so beware that the quality of these can either be better or worse than the factory job. You are not limited to coastal work with these boats at all, at least not by the boat.

Coops.
Old 13-04-2014, 14:38   #3

Cheers

Thanks so very much for the input. I will keep in mind to inspect for the quality of finish, Although I believe this yacht was built by 'Swanson Bros'. Also good to hear these yachts are not restricted in sailing capability (apart from the sailor) And for 28ft they certainly do seem to have an above average volume. I previously owned a Morris 27 (Dynel over Ply) that was so pokey I was slightly weary of another yacht around that size.

Regards
Old 13-04-2014, 16:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wanted one back in the 80's when they were fetching good money, but ended up with a Carmen, Swanson 31' double ender. Same type hull, semi long keel, used to love it's motion in the ocean. Like most small double enders the cockpit space is a bit limited but I sailed solo most of the time so no worries.

Coops.
Old 13-04-2014, 16:38   #5

Thanks again Coops

Yes, these boats seem very reasonably priced now for the rather good quality of the overall package , another reason I am leaning towards this one. This one has has tiller steering, so does not have a wheel taking up valuable space in the cockpit.
I was advised a while back that double enders are a preference for many distance sailors, possibly being better sailing in a following sea?
I will definitly take a look at this yacht in the next 3-4 weeks as it is extremely well priced, and on first view in very sound condition with modern teak fitting throughout. Only lacking much needed added electronics etc; for extended cruising.

Cheers
Old 16-04-2014, 21:34   #6

Boat: O'day 27

have your considered the albin vega or the contessa 26? both pretty seaworthy, lots of good boats in that size range, dont narrow down your choices yet. good luck on finding your boat!
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 23:59   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I remember the first time I saw a Swanson 28 I initially thought I was looking at half a boat! From certain angles the design is very funky looking. Aside from that I've never heard anything other than great reports on their ability to handle anything the sea throws at them.

Vegas and Contessa's are rare has hen's teeth in Oz. Something like a compass 28 or Clansman 30 would be worth looking at for other alternatives although both are pokey inside for their size by modern standards.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 02:37   #8

Good Evening

I have not seen any Vegas or Contessa's for sale in Australia, not in my price range anyway, in fact I would not know what they look like Compass 28 or Clansman 30 are not particularly appealing to me, and as you mentioned 'Reefmagnet' they are a little cramped for space, and often the layout is not all that flash.
I am also looking at a Steel 'Boden Germaine' 36, as it is in very good condition, has the layout that I like, and has all the fittings for a live aboard. It's at the upper end of my budget though.
The 'Swanson' is to me a lovely looking little yacht, slightly unusual, but a very nice and practical design, with a huge interior volume for its size, and I do like the double ender look.
I have also considered the 'Manitou' 32, but am put off by the forward interior, I am not a huge fan of double sided bench seating. Being center cockpit an only 32ft, I always feel the interior space is compromised. But I am lead to believe they are also a sea kindly boat.
Thanks for the helpful and interesting replies, much appreciated

Old 17-04-2014, 08:00   #9

Well if there are none around in Australia i guess that's to bad and there is nothing u cant do about it, but not in your price range?! ive seen them for sale starting at around 5000$ (4862$ AUD). Good luck finding your dream boat though!
Old 17-04-2014, 09:25   #10

Ha LOL...Not in my price range, meaning I thought possibly they are expensive, never seen either for sale here. But at $5000 I would possibly give them a miss.
Old 17-04-2014, 14:24   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I Had a Vega I sold last year. My favourite boat ever. The only ones in the county have been sailed here from the opposite side of the world. It was a clean one and fetched over $20G which is pretty much the going price here as well. Our boat prices in Oz are an absolute rip off compared to places OS but it is how it is. $5G would only get you a junker project here.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 14:32   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The price of smaller keelers is coming down here now though. I think as mooring and marina prices go up the smaller yacht becomes non viable. Quite a few marinas are charging now on berth size it seems, not length of boat. A lot of bargains, by comparison to a few years ago, around in the under 30' class on today's market here.

Coops.
Old 17-04-2014, 14:54   #13

Yes, there are actually a few reasonable smaller yachts on the market here at a reasonable price, as compared to several years ago. I bought a 27ft Morris for 15k 6-7 years ago, and It ended up being more of a project, learned plenty about ply wood, epoxy resins, dynel and yacht repair though
It did give me a better idea of what I actually wanted from a second yacht. But at that time cheaper good yachts were difficult to come by.
Looking this time I am finding more reasonable yachts at a cheaper price, my budget this time is 25k, restricted in budget because I steer clear of loans and credit cards, so it's cash only. I have found several very nice yachts in the 28-34 ft range that are in good-very good condition.
But I have out of interest also looked at international brokers/sellers etc: And sadly for us you do seem to get far more for your money in places like the US etc: So $5000 may get you something reasonable over there.
Old 17-04-2014, 16:24   #14

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Here's an albin for sale.
Used Albin Vega for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

and a contessa
Used 25 Contessa for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Both a fair amount smaller than the Swanson it appears and a couple of the Swansons have a really nice fit out (although they are ~40k asking).

Reefmagnet, I guess this was your Albin? It looked like a nice boat.
Used Albin Vega for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Old 17-04-2014, 16:27   #15

here's a nice contessa 26 for 8000$, cant beat that with a stick.
1972 JJ Taylor Contessa 26 sailboat for sale in New York
And heres a albin vega that needs work and it comes with a trailer and a volvo engine for 1500$ thats pretty good.
1973 Albin Vega sailboat for sale in Florida

Just got to look around you'll find the perfect boat in your price range guaranteed!