Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 11:25   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Survey surprise hurts FL plans

My survey last week of a Beneteau 393 in the Caribbean showed the boat to be the deep draft model (6'3") instead of the 5' shoal draft as indicated in the broker's listing. My plan was to sail back to US by way of short hops in Bahamas, then lure my non-sailing spouse aboard to explore ICW and FL Keys. I've very limited experience in my intended cruising grounds, but I fear this draft is going to be a constant problem, both during cruising and eventually in finding an east coast buyer when time comes to resell. I've got 2 days to accept or reject the vessel and I don't have a clue what I'm going to do. Advice and comments are welcome.
Thanks, Tom
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 11:42   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Id pass but that's just me. Depending on where your plans would take you look at charts and note the avg depths. Most channels have plenty of water. North west side of fl is very shallow and limiting with a 6' draft. Bahamas would be as well I imagine. How could the broker not know is scary ...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 11:55   #3

Re: Survey surprise hurts FL plans

It might be worth checking the records of Beneteau as well, the surveyor might be incorrect just as easily as the broker.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 13:55   #4

The draft is no longer in question. Broker agrees with surveyor. Listing "had a typo". I guess I'm going to pass on this one.
Tom
Old 26-12-2011, 14:05   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Ouch... how much money have you invested in this typo? That stinks, but I would wait for what you want.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 14:12   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm confused, easily. Did they make 2 versions and if so is one more valuable then the other? Also will the seller and/or the broker be willing to discount it to make the deal go through? Might be worth living with the deeper draft if the price is right. Good Luck BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 14:13   #7

Boat: Moody S38

Is there any recourse on a "misdescription" of that nature in the boating world? If this were a property here in the UK it would be covered by a Misdescriptions Act and there is a good chance that the estate agent would be required to reimburse you - I would ask for the survey fee to be picked up by the broker.
Pavalijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:59   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1340 View Post
My survey last week of a Beneteau 393 in the Caribbean showed the boat to be the deep draft model (6'3") instead of the 5' shoal draft as indicated in the broker's listing. My plan was to sail back to US by way of short hops in Bahamas, then lure my non-sailing spouse aboard to explore ICW and FL Keys. I've very limited experience in my intended cruising grounds, but I fear this draft is going to be a constant problem, both during cruising and eventually in finding an east coast buyer when time comes to resell. I've got 2 days to accept or reject the vessel and I don't have a clue what I'm going to do. Advice and comments are welcome.
Thanks, Tom
Tom--

We have been cruising a First 42 with a 6.5' draft out of the Tampa Bay area for the past 10 years without any problems save having to time our entry/exits through some passes from time-to-time. Prior to our buying the boat, the original owner lived and sailed her in the Chesapeake and routinely cruised her from the Bahamas to Maine and back, also without major issues. The 393 is a good boat and the draft should not be a major problem. It may deny a few anchorages but not all that many of consequence, eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 17:32   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I've spent a good bit of time sailing the Florida coast and the Bahamas on vessels with drafts from 5'10" to 3'6". Personally I would pass on a 6'6" draft. You can do it but it won't be nearly as much fun.
Old 26-12-2011, 17:33   #10

Thanks for all your comments. I've got about $3500 in the survey and travel. I don't think I have any recourse to recover this money and if I walk away, I'll consider it an investment in my education.
svHiLyte, yours is the kind of feed back I'm looking for. Are there any deep draft sailors, particularly on the east coast of FL, who want to weigh in?
Old 26-12-2011, 17:39   #11

We sailed Fl and the Bahamas with 6-5 draft the first time we did it. Didnt have the guts to try the Keys and it did limit us some. It's not impossible to revise the keel shorter and add a bulb if it's bolt on lead. Saw one cut with a saw....if iron... hmmm pretty tough unless you own a large machine shop and want to remove the keel!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 14:09   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 419

Swap the keel for the shoal, it's less than 10K get a deeper discount on the boat.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:19   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Only a little experience with a couple of 6'5" drafts.

Not for me.

HyLyte - can you get into Pelican Bay?
Old 30-12-2011, 07:52   #14

Damn, these posts are making me feel bad with my 7' draft.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 08:06   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I had the exact thing happen when looking at a Hunter 30. It was hard to pass, but I did and I'm very glad I passed. You were limiting your search to shallower draft boats for a reason. That reason isn't gone.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey