Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 05:08   #1

Survey results

We are purchasing a 44 foot island packet 1994. The electronics are dated and some don’t work. The Raytheon c80 sometimes gets gps. Sometimes does not. The wind speed doesn’t work but wind direction works. We need to have a dollar amount to take off the boat. Any suggestions??
lesleye2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Survey results

soldboats.com data for this vessel
Old 07-07-2019, 05:21   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Were you paying a price that was based on new electronics as I'm sure the age of the them were factored into the price you offered to start with? I find it annoying wrong that people assume anything "wrong" in a survey means a new reduced price.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:27   #4

If that is all that the surveyor can find wrong with the boat I would pay the asking price.

Any original instruments on a 94 boat will be next to useless.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Were you paying a price that was based on new electronics as I'm sure the age of the them were factored into the price you offered to start with? I find it annoying wrong that people assume anything "wrong" in a survey means a new reduced price.
The price was based on everything working. But the instruments failed at survey. With old electronics we may have to put out big $$ to replace. If all worked I would be very happy. Just looking for reasonable dollar value. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:34   #6

The head hoses need replacing but that was agreed on contract. Maybe the holding tank.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:17   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The asking price on a used C80 is about $500. I think the problem may be with the gps unit which is separate or wiring from it. It's about a $120. It sounds like a loose connection.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39   #8

I have a similar question regarding survey. Please don't shoot me down as this is my first boat and am looking for advise from the more experienced. I have question about what is "normal wear & tear".
The boat I am looking at buying is a Delphia 31, 2013 (OK I know its a production boat but it's all I can afford) and the window on one side is separating from the deck. see picture. The Delphia agent is telling me that this is wear & tear but I disagree as the boat is only 6 years old. I believe wear & tear are dents, scratches, corrosion or similar "cosmetic" defects. The fact that the sealant has gone in 6 years makes me wonder about the quality of the build in general. All boats have good and bad press on the forums so I would be grateful for some feedback from anyone who actually owns or has chartered a Delphia. I had not seen this fault before making the offer but it is one of the things that was picked up on the survey and the sales agreement states the seller is responsible for faults outside normal wear & tear. It is the only fault that I am not prepared to sort out myself. I'm paying 50K euro for this boat (which is huge amount for me) It has a lot of extras such as solar panels, new bimini, tender & outboard and has hardly been used. Am I being too hard asking for the seller to repair this?
Thanks
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...nced%20listing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resize window panel1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	195496   Click image for larger version

Name:	resize starboard window1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	195497  

robmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:44   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

It is entirely up to you to what you consider normal wear and tear.
Whether it covered by buyer or seller depends on your negotiation skills.
A broker can almost always be counted on to minimize issues.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:05   #10

Boat: Delphia 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmains View Post
I have a similar question regarding survey. Please don't shoot me down as this is my first boat and am looking for advise from the more experienced. I have question about what is "normal wear & tear".
The boat I am looking at buying is a Delphia 31, 2013 (OK I know its a production boat but it's all I can afford) and the window on one side is separating from the deck. see picture. The Delphia agent is telling me that this is wear & tear but I disagree as the boat is only 6 years old. I believe wear & tear are dents, scratches, corrosion or similar "cosmetic" defects. The fact that the sealant has gone in 6 years makes me wonder about the quality of the build in general. All boats have good and bad press on the forums so I would be grateful for some feedback from anyone who actually owns or has chartered a Delphia. I had not seen this fault before making the offer but it is one of the things that was picked up on the survey and the sales agreement states the seller is responsible for faults outside normal wear & tear. It is the only fault that I am not prepared to sort out myself. I'm paying 50K euro for this boat (which is huge amount for me) It has a lot of extras such as solar panels, new bimini, tender & outboard and has hardly been used. Am I being too hard asking for the seller to repair this?
Thanks
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...nced%20listing
I have a 2007 Delphia 37 with the same basic windows, one leaked at inspection when boat hauled. Mine it was the joint between the two panels meet in the middle - not the gap shown along the top. Ultimately to do it right I’m sure one needs to remove and rebed the Windows. I just cut out the bad part and put new Silflex in, worked fine.

Overall, I’m happy with the boat. As you said, it’s a production boat but they are good quality for the price I feel.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:36   #11
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I would negotiate price concessions rather than the seller making repairs.

Everything is negotiable. No one can say what is "reasonable" nor advise where they will draw the line, get too exasperated with you.

But always remain ready to walk away or you lose for sure.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:00   #12

To put things in their proper timeline perspective as to electronic systems and the comparative age of the boat - 1994 to 1995 and the likelihood that some upgrades are in keeping:

Windows NT 3.1 was the new operating system; Apple was operating on NeXT Software.

The first flip phone. Motorola StarTAC.

The World Wide Web was born.

Dial up service on AOL was the prime service.

The popular computer game was Donkey Kong.

The first Sony Playstation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ms.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	195508   Click image for larger version

Name:	AOL.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	195509  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:13   #13

Just counter with a set number for electronics. It's just quicker and simpler. # depends on everything involved. Labor is high. If you can get say $5k for electronics+installation and select your own new stuff, sounds like a good way to go.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:12   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Island Packets have held their value well for a reason.

Stuff like rigging and electronics are small beer compared to structurally sound bones, engine, sails, mast & chain plates, through hulls, tanks. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:18   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

A whole new suite of electronics will be in the $5-10K price range. Where in that range depends on what still works and you can live with, what features you want, and whether or not you can do your own installation.

Bottom line: On any boat, start with a number YOU think the boat is worth, with everything fixed to your liking. Then subtract what it will cost to get there. Don't pay more than that and you'll be happy.

If you don't have a clue what it's worth, you haven't been shopping around enough. Spend enough time looking and you'll learn what to walk away from, and to recognize a good deal when it eventually jumps out at you.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey