Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 10:48   #1

Suitable Starting Platform ?

I remember when I first got bit by the the sailing bug that I was searching through yacht world and came across a 40' Morgan. It was completely gutted with every system fully exposed. Very sparse and all about business. The seller had sailed across the Atlantic multiple times and purpose built the Morgan to do the same.

My question is what builders didn't use liners in there boats? What boat would be suited to doing this type of thing?

If you could build one from the hull up, what shell would you start with that would be up to the task?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04   #2

Boat: Rhodes 32
Re: Suitable starting platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
I remember when I first got bit by the the sailing bug that I was searching through yacht world and came across a 40' Morgan. It was completely gutted with every system fully exposed. Very sparse and all about business. The seller had sailed across the Atlantic multiple times and purpose built the Morgan to do the same.

My question is what builders didn't use liners in there boats? What boat would be suited to doing this type of thing?

If you could build one from the hull up, what shell would you start with that would be up to the task?
I would choose a brand with more cache like Swan or Oyster because it would be nice to be rewarded for all the hard work you put into refitting the boat. But if you choose a Morgan shell, the result while incredible will always be labelled a Morgan, and she may never get the respect she deserves.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:27   #3

Yes, that's a good point... Although someone building that type of craft may not care about the monetary returns. I guess my question is silly anyways, considering you could probably build/modify almost any craft for safe offshore work. Money is really the only limiting factor... Just thinking out loud I guess...
Old 04-10-2011, 13:27   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I, for one, would hire the mold and build from there. But I would have to ask help from friends who can laminate hulls.

Other than this, there are still some boatyards that will sell you a deck/hull kit. It is nice - most of the dirty job is done. You are already about 10% into the total cost too.

Then again, if you order say alloy plans of something like Van de Stadt, Koopmans, Roberts or Dix then you will have no problem finding a yard that will build the boat to your specs.

Finally, if I were to build something over an existing (stripped) one, I would almost definitely chose a S&S Swan or the like - strong and pretty hull that did well and whose performance and pitfalls are well known.

Economy-wise, the last option would probably be the cheapest.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote