Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Suggestions on First Sail Boat

Subnate wrote that he could store a trailer sailer for $260/yr. on the Navy base. That's near as dammit free! His plan for improving their skills in an inexpensive manner is a good one. No need to suggest other alternatives.

Subnate, my Jim had a Catalina 22 with his family of 4. They took it (among other places) to Port Townsend, WA, and then sailed it to Canada and the Canadian Gulf Is. If you guys are happy to rough it a bit, it should fit both your wallet and you'll learn heaps! Not to mention having a great time.

Jim used to race his, and it seems the spreaders are a little frail, but I know from stories that he had a super time with it. If trailering it gets to be too much hassle for you, then you can look at in the water storage, but it will be a lot more expensive, and you lose the ability to conveniently take it all over to different lakes.

IMO, the Macgregors were an interesting concept, but did not turn out to be very good boats, although there are some who love them.

Ann
Old 03-10-2015, 11:52   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If I lived a few minutes from the Cheasapeake and near the ocean, I would not be interested in trailering a small boat to go sailing on an inland lake. Instead, I would spend my time on the bay, each and every day I could, and sometimes on days when I shouldn't.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 21:04   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
If I lived a few minutes from the Cheasapeake and near the ocean, I would not be interested in trailering a small boat to go sailing on an inland lake. Instead, I would spend my time on the bay, each and every day I could, and sometimes on days when I shouldn't.
Actually, I really doubt that would be a problem for subnate: he has a reasonable plan. After they're comfortable on the boat, the other venues will draw them.

There are lots of freshwater lakes with different sorts of beauties, but there is also a sameness to lake sailing. But we usually walk before we run.

Ann
Old 05-10-2015, 23:46   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post

For the OP, if you're looking at a boat in a slip, I'd always suggest a Catalina 27. They're a good boat, lots were made (parts/sails easy to find), and easy to locate in usable shape for $4K or so. I'd look for an outboard powered one if keeping on budget)
Very good advice, in my opinion. (I would further suggest the dinette/side galley model).

A note: there are perhaps two kinds of trailerable sailboats. One kind is usually a one desogn boat. Think anything from a Snipe to a Soling, even an Olson 30. These boats are stored fully rigged on their trailers at the club and launched and retrieved each time you go sailing. This is extremely convenient and much better than keeping them afloat.

The second kind of trailerable sailboats is larger, has a cabin, and is not generally considered a serious racer. A San Juan 21 or a Santana 22 are examples. If you live a great distance from your sailing area, it may make sense to keep her on her trailer at your house and save the cost of a slip. When you go for a sail, it will be for a weekend or longer and the hour to step the spar, rig, and launch the boat (and the hour retrieving her) may not seem so onerous. But if you live 10 minutes away from the launching ramp, it means taking advantage of a beautiful summer evening for a two hour sail will also involve two hours of work. This will soon become a disincentive to casual enjoyment of your boat and you may wish to pay for a slip for the convenience it offers.

Where this trailersailer has a big advantage is if you want to cruise the Great Lakes one summer, Maine the next, and the Florida Keys the third. This boat can be kept on her trailer at home if this is all the sailing you will do, or kept in the water at the club if you want to sail locally and trailed to distant grounds for your summer cruise.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail