Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 09:38   #1

Sub-$30k brands for RTW sailing?

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to look into boats for a RTW trip. My plan is to buy something in good structural shape but needs work. I'd like to keep the boat as cheap as possible because the plan is to redo almost everything. I'm looking for something between 30-40'. So far Im looking into the following brands:

C&C
Bristol
Tartan
cal
sabre
tayana
Ericson
Nan-tai

Any I should add or remove?

I found a boat pretty close to me that is pretty interesting but I've never head of the make before. Has anyone heard of a Metal Mast and it was built by Peter Canning. Is that a decent boat for what I'm hoping to do?

Thanks!
Nick
Nicholas_nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 09:46   #2

Boat: Baba 35
Re: Sub-$30k brands for RTW sailing?

Pearson is one I would add to the top of the list.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 09:46   #3

Boat: 89 ft topsail schooner

Loved your work in Down and Out in Beverly Hills. Sounds like you are keeping up with the role.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 09:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
Loved your work in Down and Out in Beverly Hills. Sounds like you are keeping up with the role.
I prefer A Walk In The Woods but thanks lol
Old 14-04-2021, 10:45   #5

This can be done, but you should be aware that at this price point you have to substitute a lot of $ by sailing experience. The Pardeys did it, Fatty Goodlander too. Do you have the experience?

Also what is your vision of RTW? The 3 capes? Only Atlantic and Pacific crossings? What time do you have allocated for the trip?
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 11:32   #6

Sailboat experience is limited. When I was in high school we bought a beat up sailboat and fixed it up and then ran regattas on a lake for a few years. Ill have alot to learn BUT I've spent my life on boats. 1st fishing trip at 16 days old, on the water fishing all through my childhood, spent 5 years in the navy, spent 3 years working on an offshore charterboat, earned a captains license, took a fishing boat from Texas to Cancun for 3 months. I dont know sails but I've got a good understanding of what I'm getting myself into.

Not sure on the route yet, the capes and Antartica would be amazing but I'd have to jump into a steel or Al hull and probably move to something bigger for those. Not sure I'd trust a fiberglass boat going into icy waters. I may go around the Cape of Good Hope just so I dont have to deal with the Red Sea. I'm thinking a 3-4 year trip so I plan to repair/upgrade almost everything.
Old 14-04-2021, 12:31   #7

Boat: 15 metre Catamaran

You'll get the experience as you sail. You don't have to be a long time sailor to acquire the skills. Don't fret, get a good boat, ask a lot of questions, and pay attention to what you're doing. You'll know when you're ready.

Hughes (Fatty Goodlander) 38, was one of their best designs for fast cruising on a budget. They are the same as the Hinkley 38 hulls, as Hughes supplied the hulls to Hinkley.

We had a Hughes 35, it was nice too, but was mostly built with a chopper gun, so was more flexible than the venerable Hughes 38, which was "built proper". You can get a 38 for mid 30's, Canadian. Which is high 20's in US currency.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 14-04-2021, 12:48   #8

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36

The older Hunter 37s (the cutter-rigged Cherubini design) are often really cheap, sail pretty well and are built like brick shithouses
Old 14-04-2021, 12:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
You'll get the experience as you sail. You don't have to be a long time sailor to acquire the skills. Don't fret, get a good boat, ask a lot of questions, and pay attention to what you're doing. You'll know when you're ready.

Hughes (Fatty Goodlander) 38, was one of their best designs for fast cruising on a budget. They are the same as the Hinkley 38 hulls, as Hughes supplied the hulls to Hinkley.

We had a Hughes 35, it was nice too, but was mostly built with a chopper gun, so was more flexible than the venerable Hughes 38, which was "built proper". You can get a 38 for mid 30's, Canadian. Which is high 20's in US currency.

Cheers.
Paul.
I was looking at a 35, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 38. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The older Hunter 37s (the cutter-rigged Cherubini design) are often really cheap, sail pretty well and are built like brick shithouses
Awesome thanks, I'll add them to the list. I've seen a bunch for sale.
Old 14-04-2021, 13:09   #10

Boat: 15 metre Catamaran

We loved our 35. Sailed it back and forth from Canada to Trinidad. Great boat; but for ocean crossings, I'd recommend the 38.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 14-04-2021, 14:11   #11

Boat: Boatless at the moment

I would add Allied to your list of builders. The Luders 33, Seabreeze 35 both sloops and the Seawind MKI and II ketches. Depending on the number aboard you may want to go larger but these will accomplish your goal.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:24   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

A guy just posted for sale a Kadey Krogen 38 cutter in good condition for $30,000. Great boats.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 12:35   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Maybe consider the Cape Dory 36 or 33. A bit wider than the Hughes 38. Very well built (we own a 31). Very solid hull and rig.

There have been some other threads on this forum on the Cape Dory 36. A great source of info on this great brand is the Cape Dory owners group: capedory.org.

We've never heard of any significant blistering. Some have circumnavigated. Very solid and well-protected rudder. You'll learn to love the cutter rig. Enough were built so that you should be able to find one that needs some work.

Carl Alberg was a very able designer, and Cape Dory built his designs very well.

Good luck with your dream.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 13:37   #14

Boat: 1997 Hunter 280

As others have suggested- definitely consider Pearsonís and the Cherubini Hunters. They are built like army tanks and they sail quite well.
salfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 14:03   #15

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Maybe consider the Cape Dory 36 or 33. A bit wider than the Hughes 38. Very well built (we own a 31). Very solid hull and rig.

There have been some other threads on this forum on the Cape Dory 36. A great source of info on this great brand is the Cape Dory owners group: capedory.org.

We've never heard of any significant blistering. Some have circumnavigated. Very solid and well-protected rudder. You'll learn to love the cutter rig. Enough were built so that you should be able to find one that needs some work.

Carl Alberg was a very able designer, and Cape Dory built his designs very well.

Good luck with your dream.
I admire Alberg and CD makes a pretty boat but their use of plain steel in the forepeak and some chainplate supports has always had me scratching my head.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing